Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel

Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | KTP | Cabelas | CJS | PolarBird | AcmeTackle
Sep 22, 2017, 09:03 PM
Enter the iceshanty Ice Fishing Picture Contest. Win a Jawjacker, Custom Jigs and Spins lures and Team Iceshanty ball cap!
Click here to enter

Author Topic: JACK TRAPS  (Read 2269 times)

jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict

Re: JACK TRAPS
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2017, 10:53 AM »
Never had the pleasure of using a Jack trap but have seen and handled them. They are a high end quality product that will last for years. Presentation will get you more fish, but there is a certain satisfaction of having quality equipment. Kind of like having a fine rifle as compared to a plastic stocked all American Ruger. They'll both bring home the bacon.

THIS^

I've harvested more game than I can count with my bread and butter Mossberg 500.....rabbit, hare, deer, pheasant, ducks and squirrels.  It has taken a pounding and has never failed me.....it is not pretty.....but its functional.    I have much "better" shotguns in the safe.......even a browning new model a5 and a pristine 1969 Belgian made original a5.  But the mossy comes with me every time in the field.......and I actually find my success rate on certain hunts better because of it........I'm not afraid to go into the ball busting thickets what that mossy 500 for rabbit, hare and pheasant.......when I used to take the brownings out for small game I'd stick to the trails because I was worried about dinging up my furniture!!!  The jacks are amazingly beautiful.....but I equate those to the guys that shoot trap and skeet with a kreighoff over under that ran em upwards of $7k........you still have to know how to shoot to have it improve your game!!!!  If you like the pretty stuff I get it.  But you can't "buy a better game"........you still have to know HOW to hunt......or fish. ;D

I'll stick to my old heritage lakers......2 decades of use.....and they ain't pretty......they just work.
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

NateD

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2017, 11:13 AM »
THIS^

I've harvested more game than I can count with my bread and butter Mossberg 500.....rabbit, hare, deer, pheasant, ducks and squirrels.  It has taken a pounding and has never failed me.....it is not pretty.....but its functional.    I have much "better" shotguns in the safe.......even a browning new model a5 and a pristine 1969 Belgian made original a5.  But the mossy comes with me every time in the field.......and I actually find my success rate on certain hunts better because of it........I'm not afraid to go into the ball busting thickets what that mossy 500 for rabbit, hare and pheasant.......when I used to take the brownings out for small game I'd stick to the trails because I was worried about dinging up my furniture!!!  The jacks are amazingly beautiful.....but I equate those to the guys that shoot trap and skeet with a kreighoff over under that ran em upwards of $7k........you still have to know how to shoot to have it improve your game!!!!  If you like the pretty stuff I get it.  But you can't "buy a better game"........you still have to know HOW to hunt......or fish. ;D

I'll stick to my old heritage lakers......2 decades of use.....and they ain't pretty......they just work.

Ever need to replace parts on those lakers?

Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2017, 11:42 AM »
THIS^

I agree 100% with what you said. I have both Heritage lakers and Jack Traps so I can give a very fair critique on both. HLs are a fine tip up and all any real ice man will ever need as long as he cares for them. The ones I have are made from what appears to be Poplar wood that came un treated with no protective shelac or poly coating. The spool axle is pressed in and the flag and spring are what appears to be galvanized metal. My HL spools are plastic but I have seen some that came with aluminum spools. I have had a spool fall right out from the pressed in axle while fishing so that led me to do some maintenance on the tip ups, sealed the wood and pinned the spool shafts so they won't pop out. Wood swells when it gets wet and is not brought into the house after fishing and allowed to dry. Yes, they sure do work fine and usually get the job done but they also do get ratty looking after some years of use.

My Jack Traps are highly sealed Oak with a very high gloss finish that lasts and lasts. All the hardware is excellent quality stainless steel and the spools are aluminum. Not so much as a drop of rust or wear after over 8 years of constant use. I don't have to do anything on them to keep them looking and working great and just like new. They cost at the time I bought them twice the price as the HLs did but I am perfectly fine with that simply for the added quality and durability. I do get the Nice Gun/Beater gun analogy but I have no issue with tossing my Jacks in a bucket and taking them all over when ever I want to fish. I use the HLs for friends I take fishing that don't have decent equipment.

For ice fishing no one needs Heritage Lakers or Jack Traps to catch fish. I see others with what I consider cheap Chinese junk tip ups catch just as many fish and for sure the fish don't give a damn who made the tip ups. If you happen to like General Motors cars you know some guys buy the Chevy while others go for the Cadillacs and that is the difference between HLs and Jack Traps. I have had just about all of them including the Beaver Dams and I like my Jack Traps the best of all of them. I have never had a wind flag with the Jacks and I can adjust the tension it takes to trip the flag for when I use larger bait. I never have a problem seeing a flag up and never did with the HLs either. It is a simple matter of personal preference and the ability to afford the better gear. I never have seen a better made or higher quality tip up than my Jack Traps but I know for sure I will never need them when someone does build one. These will be handed down to my sons and grand sons and maybe the great grand sons and further.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2017, 12:57 PM »
Ever need to replace parts on those lakers?

One time in 20 years of ownership.....went through them a couple years ago and changed out the hardware and flags.  Never had a failure while actually fishing with them either. 

The parts I bought were piece of mind because after 18 years on the lakes getting tossed in and out of sleds and buckets the flags were starting to peal off the poles......found it easier to just buy the full parts kit that came with a full flag and all the brass hardware for the spool. 

That is it.

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

NateD

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #24 on: Feb 10, 2017, 04:16 PM »
One time in 20 years of ownership.....went through them a couple years ago and changed out the hardware and flags.  Never had a failure while actually fishing with them either. 

The parts I bought were piece of mind because after 18 years on the lakes getting tossed in and out of sleds and buckets the flags were starting to peal off the poles......found it easier to just buy the full parts kit that came with a full flag and all the brass hardware for the spool. 

That is it.

They sound pretty nice, my 6 jack traps are going on 15 years never replaced a thing, no grease, no tightening bolts, nothin'. But my dad bought me them one at a time when I was a kid, and they were 32 dollars then, so I can see not wanting to spend the cash on a full set, if somebody stole mine, I wouldn't be able to replace all of them.

Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #25 on: Feb 10, 2017, 05:17 PM »
I bought my set of 5 Jack Traps probably 10 years ago when he was running a sale. Think I paid $150 plus shipping and I put my own line on them. I never had to do anything but dry them off after a day of fishing by standing them near the wood stove. They work flawlessly with the SS trip wire going through a SS tube and the grease is still there after all these years. I do believe but really don't know, there could be a lubrication point under one of the tube braces so you can grease the shafts of the trip tube. The gloss finish on the wood is about as good as new after many days soaking in cold water and even freezing up in the holes. I just like them and if I had to replace gear that was stolen it would be Jacks for sure.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #26 on: Feb 10, 2017, 05:47 PM »
They sound pretty nice, my 6 jack traps are going on 15 years never replaced a thing, no grease, no tightening bolts, nothin'. But my dad bought me them one at a time when I was a kid, and they were 32 dollars then, so I can see not wanting to spend the cash on a full set, if somebody stole mine, I wouldn't be able to replace all of them.
I've seen them for $49 each now.
Ronald Reagan

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Cabelas | CJS | PolarBird AcmeTackle
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved