Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel

Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | KTP | Cabelas | CJS | PolarBird | AcmeTackle
Sep 22, 2017, 09:09 PM
Support Iceshanty...
Get some great gear and forum goodies...
Join The Iceshanty Militia

Author Topic: JACK TRAPS  (Read 2270 times)

Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular

JACK TRAPS
« on: Nov 02, 2016, 07:06 PM »
Do you think, having used them, that Jack Traps have increased your catch rates on various species of fish, that they actually improved your catch over other tip ups, for example a Polar tip up. Or are jack traps mostly about appearance, fit ,finish,craftmanship ?

Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• Hardwater Nut!
Re: JACK TRAPS
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2016, 07:50 PM »
Never had the pleasure of using a Jack trap but have seen and handled them. They are a high end quality product that will last for years. Presentation will get you more fish, but there is a certain satisfaction of having quality equipment. Kind of like having a fine rifle as compared to a plastic stocked all American Ruger. They'll both bring home the bacon.

NorthNH603

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2016, 06:41 PM »
I upgraded to Jack Traps from Polar last year. To be honest with you I haven't noticed a change in my fish catching. The Jacks are beautiful though and they are easy to work with. I look forward to fishing these for ages and handing them down when the time comes. I will never buy another brand trap again.
States That Touch Canada Are Best

OldSailor

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2016, 07:16 PM »
Here's a link. Good reading when you click the 'ABOUT' button.
http://jacktraps.com/
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2016, 07:02 AM »
Thanks for the response , interesting story & polar comparison

WarBonnett

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2016, 08:06 AM »
    WAY too much money for a ice fishing trap !!!!!!!!!!!!   :cookoo:             WB

iowapackfan

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2016, 12:41 PM »
 :o
    WAY too much money for a ice fishing trap !!!!!!!!!!!!   :cookoo:             WB
:o :o agree! :o :o
God,Country, and the Green Bay Packers

NorthNH603

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2016, 01:44 PM »
:o :o :o agree! :o :o

They are more than just a ice fishing trap, I don't know, you just have to put hands on them. Almost art how beautiful these are.

jocasseee

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2016, 03:55 PM »
They work great for me.   The prices are going up I noticed.   I was able to piece together 7 all on craigslist for about the price of 2 new ones.  Well worth checking frequently on craigslist as they don't come up often.

NorthNH603

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2016, 04:19 PM »
They work great for me.   The prices are going up I noticed.   I was able to piece together 7 all on craigslist for about the price of 2 new ones.  Well worth checking frequently on craigslist as they don't come up often.

You my friend got a smoking deal.

jocasseee

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2016, 04:47 PM »
I live about 5 minutes from the shop but drove over an hour to 2 times to get them used.  Just put some lithium grease to the reel bolt and I d say she's as good a new one.   
I have had a lot less hit and spits with the jacks compared to the polar ones I had before, so time well spent in my eyes.

Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2016, 08:10 AM »
As long as traps are working equally well and have the same presentation I can't see how 1 would catch more than the other. Having said that, 1 trap may be better to target a certain species. Polar tip ups can get buried in the snow easily but are lightweight and take little storage space. Jack traps are more visible but have that awful trip mechanism where you try to put a little hook through a split ring all while in some kind of bracket. I feel sorry for an old-timer I fish with that uses the jack traps, his eyesight is bad and his fingers freeze easy and he's gotta take his glove off to set his trap. I've been using heritage lakers for a few years and like those. I may occasionally bring polar tip ups and I don't even know where my jack traps are.
It must be something in the water.

caught_the_fever

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #12 on: Nov 09, 2016, 11:54 AM »
I'm not sure about catch rates but I will echo the sentiments of the other poster's mentioning craftsmanship.  Further, I have fished some extremely windy conditions and have never experienced a false flag resulting from it.  If you have a flag with a Jack, you know something hit your bait which is not always the case with other traps.

Since I'm a serious angler, I would prefer to buy quality equipment, take care of it and it last me 10+ years (or a lifetime) than to spend less, have equipment issues and/or have to replace it every few years.  Lithium grease to the reel spool and some 3 in 1 on the flag arms have worked for me to this point though the arms do have a tendency to rust a bit. 

I will say I am glad I purchased mine when they were around $32/trap w/ line.  The prices have gone up considerably since. 

Ericbres

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2016, 07:45 AM »
I'm not sure about catch rates but I will echo the sentiments of the other poster's mentioning craftsmanship.  Further, I have fished some extremely windy conditions and have never experienced a false flag resulting from it.  If you have a flag with a Jack, you know something hit your bait which is not always the case with other traps.

Since I'm a serious angler, I would prefer to buy quality equipment, take care of it and it last me 10+ years (or a lifetime) than to spend less, have equipment issues and/or have to replace it every few years.  Lithium grease to the reel spool and some 3 in 1 on the flag arms have worked for me to this point though the arms do have a tendency to rust a bit. 

I will say I am glad I purchased mine when they were around $32/trap w/ line.  The prices have gone up considerably since.

I am going to agree with a couple of points made here:
I've fished on some NASTY days where some guys in our group didn't even bother going out. Most that did, were getting wind flags. Mine just sat and when they did go up, there were fish on the line (or had at least taken a bite). In my opinion, on sub-zero windy days - if I am forced to leave the warmth of the shanty, in my opinion the extra few bucks for a Jacks Trap is worth not wasting my time for a wind flag.
Sure they are a few extra bucks - but - budget, just like any other quality purchase you need to make. For example, I buy my son a single Jacks Trap for Christmas every year. He uses his cheap leftovers/hand-me-downs to complete his set for the time being. But 5 (well, now 3) years from now he will have a nice set of traps that will last him a lifetime. I did the same thing when I wanted mine. Bought one per season while using the old ones to complete my set.

And yes, some 3 in 1 on that flag arm is important. I forgot on one of mine and it ended up being a bear to deal with.

caught_the_fever

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2016, 12:54 PM »
I am going to agree with a couple of points made here:
I've fished on some NASTY days where some guys in our group didn't even bother going out. Most that did, were getting wind flags. Mine just sat and when they did go up, there were fish on the line (or had at least taken a bite). In my opinion, on sub-zero windy days - if I am forced to leave the warmth of the shanty, in my opinion the extra few bucks for a Jacks Trap is worth not wasting my time for a wind flag.
Sure they are a few extra bucks - but - budget, just like any other quality purchase you need to make. For example, I buy my son a single Jacks Trap for Christmas every year. He uses his cheap leftovers/hand-me-downs to complete his set for the time being. But 5 (well, now 3) years from now he will have a nice set of traps that will last him a lifetime. I did the same thing when I wanted mine. Bought one per season while using the old ones to complete my set.

And yes, some 3 in 1 on that flag arm is important. I forgot on one of mine and it ended up being a bear to deal with.

You're a heck of a dad getting the little guy Jack traps.  Depending upon his age, he may not be able to fully appreciate the difference but years from now when he's still fishing them, there's no doubt it will bring back the great memories fishing with dad.  While a bit different as a grown man, I always enjoy hitting the ice with my father - it's fun seeing something as simple as the spring of a flag turn a man in his 60's into a child once again. 

Good luck this season and have fun! 

Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #15 on: Nov 26, 2016, 01:25 PM »
I think longevity is the point with Jacks. They are kiln dried first to weed out the junk wood, and then put together expertly. I will say that I am not a fan of Tim himself, as he has been rude to me on more than one occasion. I think there are other brands doing just as good of work, but none are better from my experience. Worth the money? Hard to say, but my son is going to have a great set of tip ups for the rest of his life that is for sure.

Kevin in maine

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2016, 04:02 PM »
Since I switched to Jacks 3 years ago I have had 1 stolen bait that didn't trip the flag. When I used heritage traps it happened very frequently, and I know how to lighten up heritage traps but when you do that they become prone to wind flags. So I have been very happy with the jacks and won't ever switch back.

Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2016, 04:00 PM »
Jacks are awesome. Worth the money and then some when you take into consideration they'll out-last you, if you're good to them. Started using a few last year to see if I wanted to upgrade from Heritage. About every season a buy a new trap or two of different make, just out of curiosity and to 'field test' what else is out there.  Fore I tried the Jacks, I always came back to my heritages as the go-to's. That has begun to change. I bought 3 jacks last season, will buy 2 or 3 more this season, and then my heritages will be delegated to 'back-up' or 'group fishing' status. I DO see how they might increase your catch rate do to fewer hit 'n spits (sensitive trip and really smooth spool) or flagless hits.

NateD

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #18 on: Dec 27, 2016, 03:42 PM »
I think longevity is the point with Jacks. They are kiln dried first to weed out the junk wood, and then put together expertly. I will say that I am not a fan of Tim himself, as he has been rude to me on more than one occasion. I think there are other brands doing just as good of work, but none are better from my experience. Worth the money? Hard to say, but my son is going to have a great set of tip ups for the rest of his life that is for sure.

My dad did the same thing.  Every year he takes a trip to Moosehead with his college buddies, and since I was 10 he bought me one jack trap every year until I had a set.  15 years later I am still using them, zero maintenance, zero rust, and I haven't been nice to them at all.  It is pretty amazing how much ice fishing I've done and never had to buy a trap in my life.

Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2017, 08:11 AM »
I bought a set of 5 Cross Jacks 8 years ago because I like them. Yes, they are a bit pricey but as I get older I enjoy upgrading to the better quality equipment and the Jacks are just that. I already had 3 other full sets including the Heritage Lakers and they all work just fine as long as you maintain them.

I guess it all depends upon how serious you are about ice fishing. The Jacks will last your lifetime and probably into your grand kids lives. Some guys drive Chevy's while other like Mercedes and paying a few bucks more is only an issue for those on a tight budget. Jack traps won't catch fish any better than the others but they sure are better quality for the long run and with just a little care they will last. If you are fishing big water that calls for deep sets and possibly large fish then Jacks are the way to go and the Heritage Lakers are no slouches either. When I fish local ponds with shallower water I use the HT Polar discs that fit 5 in a bucket. There is no need to complain about the price, if you don't like it then just find a cheaper alternative and go fishing.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Cabelas | CJS | PolarBird AcmeTackle
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved