Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake MacBride  (Read 1431 times)

Offline wmcox

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lake MacBride
« on: Nov 02, 2016, 04:56 PM »
Has anyone had good luck getting on big crappies or walleye on this lake through the ice? I was out today and caught 10 crappies over 15" and a few small walleye. Deffinitely gonna try it on the ice this season.

Offline Fedexguy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake MacBride
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2016, 11:40 AM »
So they do exist... Ice season they seem to disappear off the radar for me. I've struggled to pull anything over 11" during winter, just dink gills and eye's with an occasional eater walter. Fun lake to fish anyways, good luck
I love big honkers! Giant Canadian etc...

Offline Norhawk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2016, 02:16 PM »
Hi Guys I'm new here, I've fished MacBride before in the spring and have done pretty good on the crappie. Through the ice has been the same for me as Fedex guy. Can't wait to get out on the ice this season!  :tipup:

Offline JiggingIowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2016, 02:28 PM »
Hi Guys I'm new here, I've fished MacBride before in the spring and have done pretty good on the crappie. Through the ice has been the same for me as Fedex guy. Can't wait to get out on the ice this season!  :tipup:

Welcome to the site Norhawk, definitely a wealth of knowledge on all things ice fishing available to explore and ask about here.

Offline Norhawk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2016, 02:53 PM »
Welcome to the site Norhawk, definitely a wealth of knowledge on all things ice fishing available to explore and ask about here.

Thank-you for the warm welcome JiggingIowa!! I definitely still have some learning to do since I have only been ice fishing for about 7 or so years.

Offline Fedexguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2016, 10:01 AM »
Welcome Norhawk! I'm in Atkins so maybe see ya down there  :icefish:

Offline Norhawk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2016, 11:02 AM »
Welcome Norhawk! I'm in Atkins so maybe see ya down there  :icefish:

Likewise Fedexguy! Hopefully we have some good ice this winter!

Offline Ihawkangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2016, 09:09 PM »
I fish Macbride a lot, but that does not equate to catching a lot of fish.  I have been on a couple of good crappie bites (literally 2 I think).  Both times I just happened to be over the right rock pile when the school moved through.   I was in 12-15 feet of water fairly close to deep water. so they must roam the basins and hit the rocks to feed.  A sensitive spring bobber is a necessity in my opinion.  Both times when I caught decent crappies, the bite was barely detectable and the bobber lifted up vs. being pulled down since they were coming from underneath my jig and ingesting it.  As far as colors go, chartreuse, pink, and white seemed to work the best for me.

Offline Fedexguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2016, 10:07 AM »
I was out there last thursday and found a "decent" crappie bite. Biggest being 12'' and the majority falling in the 8-10'' range. All fish were in deep water and only 6-10' down. The bite was super lite and hard to detect with the wind. We were using ice jigs tipped with minnows just drifting. All fish were released to hopefully bring top side soon  :icefish:

Offline wmcox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2016, 12:46 PM »
So it's starting to look likeep we can make this actually happen. I live about an hour from the lake. So I'll need to know there is solid ice before driving down. Is anyone close that could keep an eye on the ice once it starts to freeze?

Offline Ihawkangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2016, 06:01 AM »
Unfortunately it does not look like ice fishing is going to happen any time soon.  Maybe we can coordinate a Saturday meet up when ice forms.   Anyone interested in something like this?

Offline Fedexguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2016, 12:43 PM »
Count me in  :flex:  Hopefully by Christmas or shortly there after!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.