The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: electric auger  (Read 5361 times)

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: electric auger
« Reply #30 on: Nov 21, 2016, 05:50 PM »
As a note, this years model of the clam plate for drills has a gear box to apply more torque for using the 8" augers

I believe they have a gear reduction that can be added. A separate item.

So many good reports that I have got one set up to use.

Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #31 on: Nov 21, 2016, 06:13 PM »
As a note, this years model of the clam plate for drills has a gear box to apply more torque for using the 8" augers
The gearbox is a separate, extra cost option!  :o
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline MadFisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Wish this was work....
« Reply #32 on: Nov 21, 2016, 06:40 PM »
Ion hands down. Never had any problems. 8" is enough for me. Get an extra set of blades incase you buzz a rock or hit some sand but other than that your good to go. Traded my jiffy propane in for it.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 21, 2016, 07:02 PM »
Best thing about electric drill augers and the clam plate vs other forms of power augers...

1) You can always upgrade or replace your motor or batteries in minutes just about anywhere in the civilized world..

2) They will make better motors, guaranteed..

3) They will make better batteries, guaranteed..

4) 5 years from now, you will most likely be able to make your same auger considerably better..

5) Can be used in the off season as well.. Also the same batteries can run additional tools, or your shanty electrical needs..

<°)))>{

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Nov 22, 2016, 08:18 AM »
Hey bee i notice you have the new kobalt drill, i was really interested in them and almost bought one the other day, specs look good, brushless 24v, larger battery only 50 bucks, 1/2 inch chuck, 650 pounds of torque, with a pretty good warranty, have you used it yet at all??

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Nov 22, 2016, 09:27 AM »
Hey bee i notice you have the new kobalt drill, i was really interested in them and almost bought one the other day, specs look good, brushless 24v, larger battery only 50 bucks, 1/2 inch chuck, 650 pounds of torque, with a pretty good warranty, have you used it yet at all??
In my dreams. Good buy with the current sale going on.

Offline Spaz163

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Nov 22, 2016, 10:02 AM »
I started with a Model 30 then bought an Eskimo HC 40 propane, sold that and bought an Ion 8" when I got the wheel house. I ran the ion out of battery one time last year and it bothered me enough to never use it again unless I am in the wheel house. Will use the Model 30 when out running and gunning.

Offline Incognito

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice... must find Ice.
« Reply #38 on: Nov 22, 2016, 02:00 PM »
I have the original strikemaster lazer(not lithium).  I've had it 3 or 4 years and love it.  Depending on the thickness of the ice, I could usually get 20+ holes easily but I also carry a spare tractor batter(it has a 10' chord with jumper cables on it) and with that I have drilled over 100 holes in 2' of ice multiple times.  I jig and move a lot, so it's not uncommon for me to drill 30-50 holes in a day.

Got the same one and only used it for one trip last year.  Drilled 12 - 8" holes through 30 inches of ice.  Don't know how many more I could have.  The best part is that it uses 12 volts.  I can hook it up to my sled while it is running if needed.  I also bring an extra battery with.

Inc

Official Iron-Man / Ice Geek / Ice Shirt of the MIRC
aka - Carnage-meister

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #39 on: Nov 23, 2016, 04:12 PM »
I believe they have a gear reduction that can be added. A separate item.

So many good reports that I have got one set up to use.

that looks like a slick setup Wayne. I almost went that route last year but decided on the ion

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Nov 23, 2016, 05:09 PM »
that looks like a slick setup Wayne. I almost went that route last year but decided on the ion
Thanks Nick. For me it works with my budget.

Offline Downeaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Nov 25, 2016, 09:18 AM »
I have fished for 40 plus years with a Jiffy model 30 ice auger.  First was the Jiffy one
armed bandit.  It was the best ice auger I ever had, and it lasted for 30 years.  Then
I bought a mod 30 newer model, and used it for the past 8 or so years.  I sold it
the other day as augers are getting heavy for me.  I had 5 sets of blades, and 2 ten
in bits, and 1 nine inch.  The original bit came with blades welded to the bit.  I gave
that to a friend.

Now at 74 if I want to continue to ice fish I have to go lighter, so am ordering an
ION X next week.  Augers are getting expensive as my original Jiffy was about
$125.  complete.  The new ION X is over $600.  i must like fishing.

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Nov 26, 2016, 08:01 AM »
One nice thing about the IONs is that the auger assembly is about a foot shorter than the mainstream augers, which is a huge advantage to people who are shorter or are lacking in upper body strength.

-Dylan
Marcel & Dylan Larose
559 minot ave (207) 783-0388

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Nov 26, 2016, 08:42 AM »
I have fished for 40 plus years with a Jiffy model 30 ice auger.  First was the Jiffy one
armed bandit.  It was the best ice auger I ever had, and it lasted for 30 years.  Then
I bought a mod 30 newer model, and used it for the past 8 or so years.  I sold it
the other day as augers are getting heavy for me.  I had 5 sets of blades, and 2 ten
in bits, and 1 nine inch.  The original bit came with blades welded to the bit.  I gave
that to a friend.

Now at 74 if I want to continue to ice fish I have to go lighter, so am ordering an
ION X next week.  Augers are getting expensive as my original Jiffy was about
$125.  complete.  The new ION X is over $600.  i must like fishing.
Downeaster-- I'm 67 so I'm not too far behind you and certainly gravity is no longer my friend. I retired my gas augers some years ago cause I was always fighting performance at 11,000' where I fish. Went for 5 years to an Icegator which worked well for me. Now this winter, to shave weight even more, I've got a Milwaukee Fuel setup over a Nils bit.  I've heard good things about the Ions but you may want to read up on Fuels for weight, cost, and versatility.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline RealBigReel

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Nov 26, 2016, 09:27 AM »
Downeaster-- I'm 67 so I'm not too far behind you and certainly gravity is no longer my friend. I retired my gas augers some years ago cause I was always fighting performance at 11,000' where I fish. Went for 5 years to an Icegator which worked well for me. Now this winter, to shave weight even more, I've got a Milwaukee Fuel setup over a Nils bit.  I've heard good things about the Ions but you may want to read up on Fuels for weight, cost, and versatility.

FYI....Milwaukee has a 9 amp hour battery out now,  it will last almost twice as long as the 5  and  its just a little bit bigger.

Offline Downeaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Nov 27, 2016, 03:03 PM »
reelbigreel
stinkyfingers

Appreciate the thought, but i need at least an 8 inch hole.  I have been using my Jiffy's with
a 10 inch hole for 30 years, and had to compromise just going down to an 8 inch which the
ION has.  I got turned off by Icegator by reviews by local fishermen and reviews online.
Everything I hear about the ION X I like.  That will have to last me till my last day on
hard ice.  An auger is easy for me to take to the ice with my SidebySide Ranger with full
cab and heat.  Serves as my ice shack, and I can go where I want once the ice is safe.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.