Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: atv & snowmobile regs ?  (Read 2111 times)

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
atv & snowmobile regs ?
« on: Oct 30, 2016, 08:48 PM »
What is the regulations for running snowmobiles and atv's on the lakes ice fishing ?

Thanks

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: atv & snowmobile regs ?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2016, 08:53 PM »
You need a tag

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2016, 09:01 PM »
If your out of state its a tag and a trail fee sticker.... Welcome to Iowa

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2016, 09:03 PM »
add floatation in Madison plus the rest

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2016, 09:05 PM »
Thanks guys , I have a buddy that live in Sibley and his health took a crap at a young age , I am planning on taking him to Spirit lake to fish . I am also giving him a portable ice house and some gear so his daughter can take him out .

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2016, 09:23 PM »
Thanks guys , I have a buddy that live in Sibley and his health took a crap at a young age , I am planning on taking him to Spirit lake to fish . I am also giving him a portable ice house and some gear so his daughter can take him out .

If your at the lakes make sure you have all the paper work and stuff done right to be out there. The last few years the DNR has really stepped up the enforcement at the IGL.  It's the only lake in Iowa you ever see them at, and they are there for one thing.....to try and get/raise money.

Offline redshackdistrict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2016, 10:21 AM »
How many hoops do u have to jump through if u are in ia and use ur dad's side by side that's never been registered. What would I need to do to register it?

Offline Bryan in iowa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2016, 12:22 PM »
I am about to find out  too. Buddy just registered hi. Called DNR with VIN , they checked it .  Never titled or registered . They told him to call county recorder . Think it cost him 60 bucks for title registration and late fee. NO trial sticker required,  only for snowmobiles .

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2016, 01:04 PM »
How many hoops do u have to jump through if u are in ia and use ur dad's side by side that's never been registered. What would I need to do to register it?
If you have a title and bill of sale it's not too bad.... If you don't that can be a different story since the DNR will be getting involved to inspect your machine and make sure its "trail worthy" and according to the recorders office, regardless if you are running a ATV or snowmobile, if you are out of state you WILL be purchasing the trail fee sticker or paying a fine... Heck they charged me the trail fee last year and just balked this year when i called them on it, claiming its only because it was a new law last year.... WHATEVER :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2016, 04:38 PM »

If it's a farm ATV you would get $100-$150 ticket. Last year I was using my Farm ATV that I used for 10yrs. Been checked for fishing license a few times before no problem. Last year the DNR couldn't find anything to ticket my buddy and me for and kept digging through our gear checking our fishing license then realized that I didn't have a sticker on my 4 wheeler. He asked about it and I told him it was used on the farm. Out comes the ticket pad was $100-$150 for not having the sticker. It was a $15 sticker. I asked why I needed it to drive on a lake, because I wasn't causing wear or tear on any trail or road and wasn't operating on a road. He just turned and left. Then a guy in the parking lot came over to me and said that his buddy just got nailed a few days before and that he had just got his sticker earlier that morning. I mean I don't disagree that I was at fault, but I never knew you needed a sticker to drive on a frozen lake. A warning would have been advised IMO. I mean kinda sad I was fine to drive around to the farms, and spray road ditches with it but a frozen sheet of ice was gonna cost me more to drive on with the state 🤔 They were hounding everyone that came off that day though.

I believe that because the ATV was a farm use item, there wasn't tax or registration fee on it when originally purchased. Luckily since I had purchased it for way less then what it was worth new from my uncle it wasn't to bad. If you want to get the sticker to drive on the lake I believe if I understood them correctly you have to get it registered and inspected. I had to have a law enforcement officer come and check my vin number and inspect it before the court house would even let me register it. It was a bunch of crap so the State could sell me a $15 sticker.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 31, 2016, 05:36 PM »
If it's a farm ATV you would get $100-$150 ticket. Last year I was using my Farm ATV that I used for 10yrs. Been checked for fishing license a few times before no problem. Last year the DNR couldn't find anything to ticket my buddy and me for and kept digging through our gear checking our fishing license then realized that I didn't have a sticker on my 4 wheeler. He asked about it and I told him it was used on the farm. Out comes the ticket pad was $100-$150 for not having the sticker. It was a $15 sticker. I asked why I needed it to drive on a lake, because I wasn't causing wear or tear on any trail or road and wasn't operating on a road. He just turned and left. Then a guy in the parking lot came over to me and said that his buddy just got nailed a few days before and that he had just got his sticker earlier that morning. I mean I don't disagree that I was at fault, but I never knew you needed a sticker to drive on a frozen lake. A warning would have been advised IMO. I mean kinda sad I was fine to drive around to the farms, and spray road ditches with it but a frozen sheet of ice was gonna cost me more to drive on with the state 🤔 They were hounding everyone that came off that day though.

I believe that because the ATV was a farm use item, there wasn't tax or registration fee on it when originally purchased. Luckily since I had purchased it for way less then what it was worth new from my uncle it wasn't to bad. If you want to get the sticker to drive on the lake I believe if I understood them correctly you have to get it registered and inspected. I had to have a law enforcement officer come and check my vin number and inspect it before the court house would even let me register it. It was a bunch of crap so the State could sell me a $15 sticker.                     I see what u are saying but the key happening, u were not using for the "farm". I have one for farm use only also but buy a orv sticker just to save the hassle. Also we have to wear helmet.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2016, 05:57 PM »

I don't disagree I was wrong. But technically I was not using or on any trail, road, or doing any damage to public property which is what the the "fee" is for covering. Hence why I thought a warning would have been good.

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 31, 2016, 08:52 PM »
I will just buy the tag and save the bs . Thanks guys

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 31, 2016, 09:27 PM »

I don't disagree I was wrong. But technically I was not using or on any trail, road, or doing any damage to public property which is what the the "fee" is for covering. Hence why I thought a warning would have been good.

But thats the problem here in Iowa, 8 out of 10 times i have had extremely positive DNR experiences. But you get the "ONE" guy that was absent the day they talked about issuing warnings in DNR school.... Issuing a citation to someone who had ZERO knowledge he was breaking the law, because he is is just doing things the way he has always done them, and meanwhile there is a new wrinkle or twist in the law/regulation is not law enforcement in my book. All your doing is sending a guy home who probably has every other liscence/sticker/ permit sold in the state home with a citation for a hundred dollars or more and feeling like a criminal.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 31, 2016, 09:57 PM »
But thats the problem here in Iowa, 8 out of 10 times i have had extremely positive DNR experiences. But you get the "ONE" guy that was absent the day they talked about issuing warnings in DNR school.... Issuing a citation to someone who had ZERO knowledge he was breaking the law, because he is is just doing things the way he has always done them, and meanwhile there is a new wrinkle or twist in the law/regulation is not law enforcement in my book. All your doing is sending a guy home who probably has every other liscence/sticker/ permit sold in the state home with a citation for a hundred dollars or more and feeling like a criminal.

Well I was wrong, but it kinda blew me away. I had been using this 4 wheeler since 2005 at the IGL been checked before no problem. It did suck, but at least we caught some nice gills.

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 03, 2016, 05:30 AM »
Just bought a ATV mainly for ice fishing, got a book of regulations and read them. Pretty simple if you are from Iowa what you can and can't do. I went to the courthouse got everything changed to my name and registered it.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 11, 2016, 07:01 PM »
Don't ride double unless it is designed for 2 people.  $195 ticket.   Put your passenger on a sled, where they are really safe! NOT

You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 11, 2016, 08:03 PM »
Don't ride double unless it is designed for 2 people.  $195 ticket.   Put your passenger on a sled, where they are really safe! NOT

Ouch.

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 11, 2016, 08:36 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on that , I may leave the sleds at home and just walk

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 15, 2016, 06:35 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on that , I may leave the sleds at home and just walk

I was referring to riding double on the ATV, I think you are OK with sleds (aka snowmobile), but don't own one that runs so check the rules. They may have changed since I last rode 20 years ago.

On the bigger lakes (Clear Lake, IGL, Brushy)  I might be on the ATV.  My son will be walking or riding on my Clam Nanook sled.  I think he'll be fine if I go easy.  We can flip up one of the seat backs and he can put his feet up...On smaller lakes closer to home (Badger Creek, Ahquabi, West Lake) we just pull it.  I am building a Smitty Sled to even make that easier.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.