Author Topic: Lets get your opinion on battery op. augers  (Read 1647 times)

Offline ATrexOnTheIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WOMAN SEEKS LARGEMOUTH BASS
Lets get your opinion on battery op. augers
« on: Oct 30, 2016, 04:40 PM »
so I'm upgrading from hand auger to gas (don't mind it but my back is killin me) and wanted to see what you guys thought of the ion battery jobs? I'm for gas because well, its a battery! But the husband suggested it and I'm not sold yet. Let me know your thoughts cuz I need backup when I win my case lol!

Offline Joe Henry

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lets get your opinion on battery op. augers
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2016, 04:51 PM »
Well I cannot give you real world experience with the ION Auger but I did do a lot of research before buying one last month.  I concluded that unless you are fishing areas that are very very cold and has extremely thick ice (measured in feet) the ION auger is a great choice.  If you fish Connecticut then IMO you will be fine with the ION.   You will get many opinions on this auger I can assure you.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2016, 05:45 PM »
There have been many threads regarding the Ion on the Equipment board, for starters take a look here:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=325986.0

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=303886.0

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=307878.0

FWIW, I've had an Ion for three seasons. As Joe surmised, it is wonderful until you get around 18"-24" of ice. Two years ago was the test for the Ion, I had no ice thickness problems in CT that I can recall, but in upstate NY it met it's match in around 30". The only drawback I can see is that you need to keep the battery from getting cold, such as leaving it on the ice in single digit temps. Just put it in your pocket or near the heater and it's all good. Cold reduces the battery life, although warming the battery up will get it going again. Last year was so lousy I've forgotten precisely how many holes I was getting on one battery charge, but the two years prior I know I cut 60+ more than once.

For gas I've used Jiffy, Strikemaster and Nils. The Tanaka/Nils combo is my go-to when we need too many holes for the Ion, or for the rare (for CT) really thick ice.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2016, 06:50 PM »
Had a jiffy for more years than I care to admit. Gasahol and age took its toll on the unit. Still worked, just not as well as I wanted. Last year I got a Strikemaster lazer and live it.pulls right through the hole. I run pre mix fuel now to cut the gasahol and save any mixing. Cost wise it's a bit more but I can keep a can in the sled and it lasts for a couple years unlike gas that will go stale  in a month.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2016, 07:15 PM »
I had my Dad's Jiffy for years and loved it. As I got older and retired I bought myself the Ion as a retirement gift and it has not disappointed me yet. In the Adirondacks last year drilled through 16-18 inches of ice drilled over 80 holes over 3 days leaving right on the ice and never ran out. My brother and I have the same Auger and so we have an extra battery when we fish together but have never needed it. So light (21 lbs) and with the reverse it will clear hole for you and you can re-drill old holes no problem.
One down side is I have not found anyone that can sharpen the blades as it changes the pitch and even the slightest change makes it very tough to cut(spinning all over the ice). If you accidentally bang the blades on the ice the pitch is changed and won't work well at all so always carry spare blades and wrench.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2016, 07:58 PM »
I wouldn't buy a battery operated auger because the cost of the auger (at least $100 more than a gas auger), the cost of replacement batteries (well over $100), if I needed repairs I can't have it done locally, when Lithium batteries die they just die without any warning, I don't have to worry about keeping batteries warm, and as long as you take care of your gear a gas auger will last for years (I have mine for thirteen years and it looks and runs like the day it was brand new).

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2016, 05:05 AM »
Love my ion , quiet , light no smoke. Only downside is really thick ice (haven't had that in ct yet ) and you need to keep battery warm. I always carry spare battery in bag with hand warmers in it . expensive , yes but you get what you pay for. I can still see the need for a gas auger ( upstate ny , vermont , maine ect. )  Mine died 2 years ago and the ion has been enough for ct.

Offline tjb22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2016, 02:23 PM »
I have used the Ion for the last 3 seasons, never had a problem with the battery even on those rare below zero days we get in CT (2014-2015 winter).  Thick ice isn't a problem as long as you clear the chips out.  We have tried a few times to see how many holes it would drill but the battery outlasted us.  The one problem I do have is that the unit can't get wet and that is the answer that Ion customer service gave me when I asked the question.  I made a half assed cover for the motor and tape a couple on zip lock bags over the trigger handle to keep the water out but you would think that the designer would figure that the unit would need to be water resistant or waterproof but that is not the case.  That's the only issue I have with the unit.  I love the lack of noise and exhaust from the Ion, gets me closer to shore near the expensive houses lol.

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2016, 02:57 PM »
have had mine for 3 seasons now and have 0 complaints. Living in Canada I have had the opportunity to use it on 30+ " of ice on many occasions and it does fine. As sotjb mentions, you just need to pull out the chips while you go if it is really deep ice. I have never had an issue with the battery due to cold or anything else. I don't know if I would buy one now at the current prices, but I bought it for about 1/2 of what I see it currently going for and would do so again in a heartbeat.  Unless I am going for big game like lake trout I switch the 8" bit for my fin bor 6". It takes up a lot less room in my sled and it just cuts like butter with the smaller bit.

Offline ATrexOnTheIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WOMAN SEEKS LARGEMOUTH BASS
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2016, 02:59 PM »
Well after hearing what everyone says I guess I'm the winner again and the hubby loses (don't we always get our way? lol) because I am definitely not fartin around with keeping batteries warm and such. gas is king looks like! Hopefully we'll see some of you guys on Winchester this season!

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2016, 04:11 PM »
Half the fun of a new toy is drooling over all the cool new stuff. Good luck on whatever you decide. They pretty much all have the kinks out after the fall of Tecumseh. Let us know what your choice was.

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2016, 03:59 PM »
Unless you're a run and gun ice fisherman, drilling the ice to Swiss cheese I would go for a cordless drill setup. I have a 8" gas strikemaster I almost never use it. I prefer to use my 6" lazer .

Sometimes it feels like I live in a Pat McManus story!

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2016, 03:32 PM »
Love my ion, this will be its 4-5 season. I have two extra batteries now, so that extends life.  You can easily sharpen auger blades (just watch your fingers) with a sharpening stone.  I sharpen every two years or if it gets banged around, sooner.  It would take some real work to change the pitch with a 300/600 stone.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2016, 08:07 PM »
Hey Spoondangler, I banged the blades on the ice when I slipped carrying the auger and the pitch was changed. The auger just slid all over the ice but wouldn't cut. Sent them back and they said the pitch was changed and nothing they could do.

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2016, 01:18 PM »
I'm getting a 8in K-Drill for the cordless drill the YouTube video I watched the guy was using a Milwaukee force made for cold weather cordless drill and it cut through 14 inches of ice no problem it's about 250$ for the k-drill and another 200 for the drill but to cut holes with ease and 10lb set up and no gas hands or loud noise at 4am it well worth it for me
Go big or go home

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2016, 03:18 PM »
Its a matter of taste,there are pro's and con's on both sides,A few of my friend's here that I fish with have Battery opps, my self I converted and old strikemaster and added a nils auger.cuts like butter, With gas it needs to be gone over every yr,since ethanol was introduced it much harder to keep engines running right.If I had to buy a new motor I would consider a propane model

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2016, 05:31 PM »
Aside from taste I think itvs fishing style that dictates auger choice. I wouldn't do well with electric on LG searching for lakers but it'd work for pike fishig where no more than 10 holes are drilled.
I think that has a lot to do with decision making along with ice thickness. I don't even think about bringing anything other than the hand auger until more than 8"
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2016, 05:52 PM »
Had my Ion for 3 yrs and love it, best decision I ever made.  Usually fish CT so no problem with cold or # of holes with the ice we get but my grandson and I  do go up to North Hero, VT and we have had close to 2'  of ice.  We drill 30 holes (15 per person) plus we do jigging holes and have never had a problem.  If you're buying your first one the new Ion has a great battery that will keep you going and going and going.

Offline iowapackfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2016, 12:36 PM »
 ;D had my Ion for 2 years now with no problems. can't imagine conditions in Ct. being any worse than here in Iowa. I've drilled 50+ holes thru 15 in. of ice and had plenty of power to spare. to each his own I guess. at least mine doesn't stink or make loud noises and I can put it in reverse and flush out the ice chips. just my 2 ct. worth ;D :tipup:
God,Country, and the Green Bay Packers

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2016, 02:13 PM »
Jon, you said it wouldn't do good on LG but are you drilling through more than 800-900 inches of ice? That's what I get on the older battery, and they say the new one gets you 60% more. The drill is almost 16 lbs and the ion around 21#, not that much difference.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2016, 06:33 PM »
Your right but you are still a young guy and the weight doesn't bother you yet...lol Wait till you get old like me.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 08, 2016, 06:48 PM »
Got a Strikemaster 8 inch lazer last year. That thing pulls itself through the ice. Blows away my old White Lightning Jiffy. 22 lbs. or so.Could have done just fine with the Nils last year

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #23 on: Dec 08, 2016, 08:52 PM »
I started with my dads jiffy still starts on one pull but heavy as it gets and he still brings it out 30 years later. i have a eskimo 10" thats drilled its fair share of pike holes for many years but my go to is my strike master 8" for normal outings. I do a lot of early/sketchy ice crappie and perch fishing and the lazer hand auger is great. I did fish with a few pros last year who had the drill/plate set up and my dad and i decided we would split it for xmas (you have to buy the best drill,plate and blade….adds up to a lot $$$ but you can pound holes). I base my auger decision on what species I'm going for or if its a hole pounding day.I just wish more metal parts in the new augers were present like the old days and I'm happiest when the motor is on top of the ice or extension is needed….makes for a long season. You will get a lot of opinions on this but if you could try auger first you can determine weight,speed,chipper blades etc…oh and trufuel is the only way to go.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.