The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: ice is coming  (Read 1029 times)

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
ice is coming
« on: Oct 29, 2016, 08:00 PM »
So Friday I had a business related road trip south to Northfield then onto Rutland.
I decided to head towards Bethel then hit 107 to Killington.
while heading down 12, passed Baker access, where it was slushed over, and there was a guy in chest waders hip deep fishing it. In hindsight I wish I'd stopped to snap a pic.
Anyhow, a 1 degree difference from 33 to 32 had it raining then turning to some of the biggest snowflakes I've ever seen...ranging in size from golf balls to the size of a balled up fist!
Passing by Ainsworth park and the road was getting covered in snow super fast.
up 107 to Killington, and the pond near RT 4 was open water, with rain everywhere and the temps a little warmer.
I was surprised to see that pond slushed over, so here's top hoping we can get some hardwater action on this years licenses!!!
TIGHT LINES EVERYONE!

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
Re: ice is coming
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2016, 08:14 PM »
I am praying for some actual ice this year, but as of right now, I'm enjoying duck hunting, fall bass/pike fishing, and awaiting deer season. I can't believe that there was actually some slush in a pond already!
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2016, 03:18 PM »
Yeah, there was slush on the pond on right  between I89 Williamstown exit and Randolph exit.
I've never seen anyone on the pond but promising. Morgan had a high temp about 3:30 Monday
at 30 degrees.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2016, 09:07 PM »
pike are running wild right now.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2016, 09:18 AM »
finally some cold weather

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2016, 04:12 PM »
headed out to chase big pike tomorrow in the waves

Randy

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2016, 08:52 PM »
headed out to chase big pike tomorrow in the waves
Good Luck. My Dad and I went up to Carmi on Saturday and it was REALLY SLOW. My Dad was able to pick up one little northern and I caught two smallies and a perch. Where do you go for pike this time of year spot? I'm assuming that they are up shallow. Do you fish rocks or weed beds? I am planning on fishing arrowhead from shore on Thanksgiving in search of some Bass and Pike. Tight lines to all who are willing to brave the cold.
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2016, 11:28 PM »
Rocky shorelines adjacent to river mouths on Champlain. Any island shoreline or rock pile is a good bet too. Especially when it's overcast they'll be active and shallow, and often big. They're on their yearly eating binge, getting fattened up for winter and then spawning season.

It's the time of year when they're gathered in the shallows and ready to party. :)

Randy

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2016, 11:26 AM »
Wind was coming out of about the exact wrong place, so there was no real shelter. Caught several, but wasn't able to stay out long. I was casting with big homemade spoons (patterned after Daredeville's Cop-E-Cat, which they stopped making years ago) hammered out of thick copper from recycled plumbing pipe and coated on one side with polished solder.

The chain pickerel are out in force too. While some people don't care about those, I'll fillet them and fry them up right next to the northern pike any time.

A family fish fry- get together is in the works. :)

Randy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.