The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: LOW woods trip late Jan  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Herms

• Team IceShanty Regular
LOW woods trip late Jan
« on: Oct 27, 2016, 05:00 PM »
Hello all,

I'm working on planning a trip to the LOW for 4-5 guys.  We will be traveling from SE South Dakota and most have done quite a bit of fishing before but never in this area.  We are planning on using an outfitter for a sleeper cabin and all that will come with it.  We are planning on coming up early Thursday and staying on the ice until Sunday when we will head back home.  Looking for a good company but also a decent shack that can comfortably fit us all and hopefully comes so what "equipped" so we don't have to haul everything there such as table/chairs or cooking pans/utensils.

What do you guys recommend for companies in this area? Any experience you have had would be great or also ones to stay away from...

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: LOW woods trip late Jan
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2016, 06:44 PM »
I've stayed at Zipple Bay with their 2 house package, the sleeper house in shallower water for the early morning and evening bite with a deep water house for mid day. We were able to go back and forth as we wanted to. There were tables/chairs in the sleeper house but we had to bring our own pots/pans/utensils. They would stop by 2x per day to see if we needed anything but we could also drive back to shore if we needed anything too . They had their Bar set up right between the 2 houses so we had to stop by in the afternoon on the way back from the deep water house to our shallow sleeper house, lol

http://www.zippelbay.com/icefishing2.htm

Offline drscholl14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2016, 02:22 PM »
You can find all the info you need at www.lakeofthewoodsmn.c om.

Offline Herms

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2016, 12:31 PM »
I've stayed at Zipple Bay with their 2 house package, the sleeper house in shallower water for the early morning and evening bite with a deep water house for mid day. We were able to go back and forth as we wanted to. There were tables/chairs in the sleeper house but we had to bring our own pots/pans/utensils. They would stop by 2x per day to see if we needed anything but we could also drive back to shore if we needed anything too . They had their Bar set up right between the 2 houses so we had to stop by in the afternoon on the way back from the deep water house to our shallow sleeper house, lol

http://www.zippelbay.com/icefishing2.htm

I had looked at this one before it is a little more than I am looking to spend but seems like a great setup.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2016, 12:42 PM »
Look through this...
http://lakeofthewoodsmn.com/lodging

Yes, it's spendy up there!! Start saving, and check around!! Good luck!!!  :tipup:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Kopower

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2016, 02:43 PM »
Zipple is really nice, but a little pricey. Always nice to head over to the igloo bar on the ice for a break in the fishing if its slow.

Offline bronvike21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2016, 06:50 PM »
Wow! We were also looking into a trip with 4 guys. With the prices of zipple with the shallow and deep shacks,unless I figured it wrong, it would be approx $550+ per day each. Unreal

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2016, 07:18 AM »
Wow! We were also looking into a trip with 4 guys. With the prices of zipple with the shallow and deep shacks,unless I figured it wrong, it would be approx $550+ per day each. Unreal

I think the math may be wrong, they way I'm see on on their website, for the shallow sleeper and deep day house, for 4 guys @ 2 days, it is a total $290/each, 3 days is $390/each. I know I sure didnt pay $550 per day.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2016, 09:47 AM »

Cabin - Winter Weekend Package  $360  2/Nights -   2/Days   

(All prices are per person - tax not included)

Angle shallow walleye house morning & evening. Move to deep water angle house for midday bite.

take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2016, 10:07 AM »
I normally don't fish thru the night up there.  Seems the bite up there usually shuts off around 4:30.  You can pick up a few, but you need to decide if you want to sleep out in the house.  I go thru Ballards or Borderview for day trips.  We know the lake enough now that we even just use Adrians road to get out. 

If you want another option, here is JP Tessier's website.  He is listed as the LOTW outdoorsman.  He is a guide up there and knows the lake pretty good from what I have heard and read.  I have not used him as a guide.  He has plenty of video's on Youtube.  You can see inside his sleepers.  Here is the link to check out rates and what he offers.  http://lakeofthewoodsoutdoorsman.com 

I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Herms

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2016, 04:33 PM »
I went through quite a few websites and ended up going with Fred's Beds.  We wanted to stay on the ice the whole trip so that was a part of our decision.  For about $240 per person the 4 of us get 3 days 3 nights in a 10*24 shack propane heat, with oven/stove top, wired for electric, renting a gen for $10 a day plus gas, they provide bait and stop out a couple times a day.  Seemed like the best deal for what we were looking for.  Hope you find something that fits and have a great time fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.