New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: new ice auger  (Read 2412 times)

Offline gunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
new ice auger
« on: Oct 27, 2016, 10:59 AM »
My new Eskimo 40 cc  10 inch auger arrived yesterday!!! :)  Read the directions and put it together---(propane)  pulled it through 3 time then went for a start pull.   First time fired right up --let it idle for about a half minute, then tried it again . Started up first pull each and every time. Ya baby!!!  Gunner

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
Re: new ice auger
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2016, 01:18 PM »
my hand auger starts every time ,I just donot
yep,getting old
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2016, 01:39 PM »
How quiet is that auger?
I think im going to get into propane this year just not sure if it will be jiffy or eskimo. eskimo has 5 year warranty now. I still use my nils for under 12 inches of ice but drilling all of the holes for my wife and I gets tiring after 12 inches of ice.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2016, 02:35 PM »
Gold luck with the new toy.

Offline gunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2016, 06:03 PM »
RiverRat---I hear you!  But that's why I had to bite the bullet and get a power auger---my power is still pretty good--until i get out of the car and start walking across the ice--then after the 2nd hole (jacket  comes off ,hat comes off we'll stop there!) I treated myself...  I started it up in my garage and the start up and idle seems very quiet.  I lifted it so that I could check the actual auger action and that seemed very quiet as well---for even being inside my garage.  Gunner

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2016, 06:27 PM »
Congratulations on your new auger, good luck with it.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2016, 11:42 AM »
RiverRat---I hear you!  But that's why I had to bite the bullet and get a power auger---my power is still pretty good--until i get out of the car and start walking across the ice--then after the 2nd hole (jacket  comes off ,hat comes off we'll stop there!) I treated myself...  I started it up in my garage and the start up and idle seems very quiet.  I lifted it so that I could check the actual auger action and that seemed very quiet as well---for even being inside my garage.  Gunner
you are right,it has to be fun,or it be comes WORK and that is bad
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline duke14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • thats why they call it fishin,not catchin!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2016, 06:00 PM »
I only break out the power auger when the ice gets over 15 inches or so
my Nills are awesome,way lighter,no noise,and faster,
but when the ice gets thick,a power auger is a must!!

Offline Fish-N-Adventures

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish on!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2016, 12:50 AM »
How do the propane augers hold up when it's just brutally cold out???

I'm in the market for a new gas auger, my model 30 jiffy is just too damn heavy...

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2016, 11:40 AM »

I'm in the market for a new gas auger, my model 30 jiffy is just too damn heavy...

my jiffy propane was aweful in the extreme cold. Useless, really. Wouldn't run, no power, freezing up...and extremely poor on fuel unless it was not too bitterly cold. If it wasnt that cold it was fine. I sold it, went back to 2 stroke.. Very glad i did.  :tipup:

Offline PACKERBACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Retired
« Reply #10 on: Oct 30, 2016, 02:14 PM »
Congrats Gunner. I had to do the same thing for this year. I'm having some arm issues that have slowed me down a little. I went with the K-Drill 6" I hope we get some early ice. Good luck with the new toy.
Winners don't know they're in a race.

They just like to run.

Offline Joe Henry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 30, 2016, 03:47 PM »

I did a ton of research on these Propane Augers before I bought my Eskimo Propane and the common theme was if you fish in below zero conditions a lot you should probably avoid Propane, if not...they are fine. 

Offline gunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 31, 2016, 04:55 PM »
Hey Packerbacker---I see you are from Newark.   I grew up in Palmyra before moving to Liverpool---small world.   Hey Joe I did the same --tried to read all the reports on the propane augers.  Actually read what I could find from the different states as well.  I agree it said had to be well below zero for some problems to start.  Also stated if you could place your auger inside your shanty or flip over --solved the problem.   Im sort of a light weight--if its going to be 15 below and im out without any protection(shanty or flip over) It would kill me but I'll wait a day !!! Sorry guys( the truth hurts)  When the 5gal. pail is frozen to my rear end it wouldn't be a pretty sight. Gunner

Offline Joe Henry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 31, 2016, 05:29 PM »
Hey Packerbacker---I see you are from Newark.   I grew up in Palmyra before moving to Liverpool---small world.   Hey Joe I did the same --tried to read all the reports on the propane augers.  Actually read what I could find from the different states as well.  I agree it said had to be well below zero for some problems to start.  Also stated if you could place your auger inside your shanty or flip over --solved the problem.   Im sort of a light weight--if its going to be 15 below and im out without any protection(shanty or flip over) It would kill me but I'll wait a day !!! Sorry guys( the truth hurts)  When the 5gal. pail is frozen to my rear end it wouldn't be a pretty sight. Gunner

Yeah, seeing that it almost never goes below zero where I live I was not too worried about going with the Propane and like you said,  if it does go below zero,  I'm not going out there anyhow.  I keep going down into the garage though and messing around with it  ;D....I need ice!!!

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 01, 2016, 06:46 AM »
if its real cold out put your propane tank in your jacket on the way out :tipup:

Offline buck05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 02, 2016, 06:35 PM »
I love my jiffy pro 4. Only had the propane freeze once in minn. it was 25 below. I left the drill and propane in the the truck over nite.  After that I just bring the drill in at nite works awesome. I highly recommend it. My friend just bought the new ion and I am thinking of changing to that.  I saw one used in north Dakoda last winter and I was very impressed. It has never taken more than 2 pulls and no smoke.   :tipup:  Mark

Offline Fish-N-Adventures

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish on!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 02, 2016, 11:39 PM »
thanks for the input, looks like I'll stay away from propane augers.
I just never know when I'll be on the ice and the weather really doesn't matter so there will be many, many days that it will just be brutally cold, so I'll stay with the mix-gas 2 stroke ice augers.

Can't wait for the ice to come in, just give me another month to do all my winterizing around the house, boat, snow blower, etc.   ;D

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 03, 2016, 07:11 AM »
thanks for the input, looks like I'll stay away from propane augers.
I just never know when I'll be on the ice and the weather really doesn't matter so there will be many, many days that it will just be brutally cold, so I'll stay with the mix-gas 2 stroke ice augers.

Can't wait for the ice to come in, just give me another month to do all my winterizing around the house, boat, snow blower, etc.   ;D

For what its worth, when I sold my Jiffy Propane I bought a Eskimo Shark Z51 10'' auger. It starts really easy, in any conditions. Runs great and cuts like a SOB. Been extremely happy with it.

Offline PACKERBACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Retired
« Reply #18 on: Nov 06, 2016, 06:53 AM »
Hey Gunner. Small world is right. If we get some decent ice this year let me know.  We could fish together somewhere. ;D
Winners don't know they're in a race.

They just like to run.

Offline FishnChef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 11, 2016, 06:49 AM »
had my Eskimo propane 8-inch auger for the second half of the northern New York ice season last year and love it. Fished on some pretty cold days and didn't have any issues with the propane delivery. the reason I went with the Eskimo over the Jiffy is because my brother has the jiffy and it leaks oil everywhere and due to the tip design on the auger is very prone to icing up on cold days and won't cut whereas the Eskimo is much more open on the bottom and does not glaze up with ice as readily.definitely recommend the Eskimo

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Nov 12, 2016, 12:44 PM »
They make 1 lb neoprene tank  warmers,  check Cabela's or northland , they are like $6.00

Offline chasin eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 12, 2016, 02:50 PM »
I picked up the new Jiffy Pro 4 propane last year.  I believe they have fixed the oil leaking problem, etc with this auger.  I fished numerous days in -10 to -35 and never had to pull the rope more than twice.  I did pickup a propane bottle jacket for mine, and haven't had a problem at all.  A lot of good auger options out there, just find what you like best.  "Ready for Ice"!!!! 

Offline don519

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 18, 2016, 05:05 PM »
Other then the jiffy being heavy it started and worked fine on cold days and if the propane froze up I'd just switch bottles it's a simple fix

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 19, 2016, 12:26 PM »
Other then the jiffy being heavy it started and worked fine on cold days and if the propane froze up I'd just switch bottles it's a simple fix

Until your carb/regulator begins to freeze and stops processing fuel, and your fuel line potentially freezes and breaks. I had both happen. To each his own.

Offline saltr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Nov 20, 2016, 06:36 AM »
I also looked at propane augers last year after selling my model 30 jiffy. I couldn't turn down the sale at Reeds for the Eskimo Z71 10" for a little over $300.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.