The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Weather prediction for the winter  (Read 1333 times)

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
Weather prediction for the winter
« on: Oct 26, 2016, 06:53 PM »
What have you heard? I listened to the new guy on channel 2 and he said we were going to have a winter with hardly any snow and temperatures 4 degrees above normal. The heavy snow will be just west of Maine. The jet stream is going to dip down though the U.S. and work its way north leaving Maine on the warm side. A couple years ago we had ice to walk on the last weekend of November. Farmers Almanac said just about the same , but we are going to get more snow. I don't like slush and thin ice, let's hope for the best.
Steve

Offline gunn308

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Weather prediction for the winter
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2016, 07:38 PM »
I know of some wasp nests and bee nests that are 10'-12' high and the old farmers said you could tell the amount of snow by the height of the nests.
"Oats that have already been through the horse are always cheaper than oats that haven't"

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2016, 03:13 PM »
After struggling to have a decent winter last year due to the strong El Nino pattern, we should be getting a more normal winter this year due to the oncoming La Nina pattern. (slightly below normal temps) More dips in the arctic oscillation should get us colder temps than last year.

Unfortunately, it looks like it may be a weak La Nina pattern to start off this winter. The data suggests we will get average or slightly above average snowfall in November/December. (not great for early ice) Another issue could be the La Nina transitioning to neutral toward the end of winter, which would put us on the short end of the stick again.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline NorthNH603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2016, 03:44 PM »
Im not sure I give a crap about the snow, I just hope its cold.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2016, 03:53 PM »
Im not sure I give a **** about the snow, I just hope its cold.

I want early ice to fish, and decent snow to ride.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline WhiteMTfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2016, 05:09 PM »
"Winter 2016-17 may bring colder-than-average temperatures to the East early on, but this winter may end up warmer than average overall, according to an outlook released by The Weather Company, an IBM Business.

A weak La Niña is expected to develop, which would result in colder temperatures in the East and warmer temperatures in the West, which flips the pattern of the last several months, said Dr. Todd Crawford, chief meteorologist with The Weather Company."

https://weather.com/storms/winter/news/winter-outlook-2016-2017-twc-noaa

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2016, 06:37 AM »
Then there’s this..... Polar vortex may make it warmer......in Europe!
We here might be getting the extended season.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/dreaded-polar-vortex-may-be-shifting/

"Monthly global temperatures continue to set warmth records, but North America and Europe have seen extreme cold during some winter days as a result of the polar vortex. However, researchers found, the cold air brought into lower latitudes by the vortex has also offset global warming temperatures.”
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline ssduramax66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2016, 10:27 AM »
I want early ice to fish, and decent snow to ride.

Im hit the trails over to moosehead then, maybe hit a few clearcuts! rocks trees stumps I don't giv a F@#!

WANNA HEAR HOW MY FRIGGIN CAN SOUNDS?!!!!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2016, 09:01 AM »
Everything I have heard is colder and snowier than average this year but it sure isn't looking that way right now.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline ducksdown07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2016, 01:36 PM »
Im hit the trails over to moosehead then, maybe hit a few clearcuts! rocks trees stumps I don't giv a F@#!

WANNA HEAR HOW MY FRIGGIN CAN SOUNDS?!!!!

Trees are for traction, buddy!
Some people say "if it flies it dies"
I'm on record that "if it just sits there, it still dies"
-Phil Robertson, The Duck Commander

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2016, 08:59 PM »
They can't even predict the weather a couple of days away. Acorns, bee's nest height, thickness of corn stocks and the most reliable at 80% is the width of the Woolly worms brown band. Bottom line is it will be whatever it is, nothing we can do about it but it's something to talk about. ;D
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline BrownTroutBoy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2016, 08:16 PM »
They can't even predict the weather a couple of days away. Acorns, bee's nest height, thickness of corn stocks and the most reliable at 80% is the width of the Woolly worms brown band. Bottom line is it will be whatever it is, nothing we can do about it but it's something to talk about. ;D
I always enjoy the talk this time of year! "bee's nests are wicked friggin' high this year. I'm gunna split an extra cord so mumma don't wine this wintah!"

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2016, 10:26 PM »
I got to use my scraper tonight!

Wooooooooo! Eighth of an inch of white goodness!

It's a start anyway....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.