Author Topic: do you need a guide to ice fish lake erie after the ice is thick?  (Read 2595 times)

Offline Pa Teeny

• IceShanty Rookie
I want to ice fish lake Erie in late January or February and have been debating with myself about getting a guide...or to just follow the trail and try different spots that are being used. 

I have most of the equipment and just wanted to try something different this winter....I am a teacher by trade but I plow snow before and after school for mad money to buy toys....as  we usually get 100-140" of snow...

cold weather I am used to....we have 3 sleds and a trailer that can haul 5 sleds.

Question....Did you go with a guide your first time on lake Erie or just tried it?

Thanks..PA Teeny

Offline GOTICE?

• Team IceShanty Regular
The first time and everytime after that we just  followed the crowd. It looks like a small town when the ice is good. Never had any problem but with Erie safety is the key word. Just remember to give yourself plenty of time to get off the ice at the end of the day. Also a gps or something along that line is very helpful.  There are times a snow storm will blow in and make visibility a problem. Let me know if you have any more questoins.

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
My first time we just headed for the crowd and fished near the shanty towns. Just do your research, know the weather and be aware of changing conditions. Keep moving till you find fish. Pray for old man winter to actually show up this season!
Funniest thing about ice fishing for me is when people who know nothing about ice activities try to warn me about the dangers of the ice...

Offline stampman60

• IceShanty Rookie
Erie can be very dangerous at times. 2 years ago you could go anywhere cause the lake was COMPLETEY froze. The ice can shift if any open water is around. Saw what happen 4 years ago - 300 poeple got stuck. Open water several miles to the northeast strong southwest wind. 4hrs. open 50 ft. If ice is iffy a will spend the money to get on an airboat or fly over to the island and get a guide. ( ice is safer around the put-in-bay ) stays lock in.

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
you can book a guide and fish at the islands. you'll pay too, but it will be a reliable because if theres fishable ice it'll start around the islands and end around the islands. when there has been good ice for a few weeks, following the crowd would work.

Offline rd9

• IceShanty Rookie
Guys I'm wanted to ask the same question and thank you for the responses. I myself ice fish on the eastern. Asian of Lake Erie and am looking for the best location to come up and ice fish one weekend. What is the best port for early season access for walleye?  I know this question is vague but we would just follow the crowd. I would like to stay close to a hotel or some sort of lodging.

Offline jeepdude64

• IceShanty Rookie
you don't need a guide there are a few thousand that will be out there when the ice is good.  Stay with the masses and follow trails and you should be ok.  Don't venture out 7 miles if you never done it.  A guide is great but common sense and you should be ok.  If everyone around starts packing up and heading in follow until you are used to the lake.  I don't fish it on south winds that seems to be when the worst cracks open up.  I also go out with enough to spend a night so don't go out with 1 propane tank or no heat.    We get a few together and stay together.  I also recommend if you don't have it a GPS it can get a white out and hard to find your way. 

As for staying check port clinton several hotels, motels, and cabins around.  That is the usual first ice and don't go east towards mouse island.  The islands have current that will weaken the ice in certain areas.  The longer the ice is on the further west they will start going.  It is very busy when good ice so plan on getting there before 5am to get parking. 

Offline mortimer

• IceShanty Rookie
I live close by and there are areas to avoid due to the currents the ice could be 12" in the morning and 2" evening due to currents. talk with the locals on areas to avoid common sense is very important to keep in mind there are some areas people dont go out of becuase of this. if no one else is go out of some of the luanches there probanly a good reason white outs can be common as well as pressure ridges and deep slush we all like to get to the fishing fast but you need to be careful I know of some one who hit a pressure ridge last good ice season and almost died due to braking both arms as well as other injuries. chains on 4 wheelers help immensley and lighter atvs under 500cc struggle at times in the slush.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.