The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: gander mountian  (Read 1761 times)

Offline minnook

• Team IceShanty Regular
gander mountian
« on: Oct 22, 2016, 03:15 PM »
well its a good sign when gander mountain puts out the ice fishing gear. lets all hope mother nature gets the hint

Offline iceman4667

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: gander mountian
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2016, 07:36 PM »
Cabelas also  not to much ice fishing stuff.       West Vergina

Offline bigfish54

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for this!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2016, 08:56 PM »
Last week I made the rounds, bass pro shop in Bridgeport,CT some ice gear out and cabelas in Hartford,CT some ice gear but not that much yet. Gander mountain in Middletown,NY was putting it out when I was there and that was last Saturday. Tight lines and keep updating

Offline minnook

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2016, 07:52 AM »
yes iceman cabelas doesnt get as much ice gear . i found field and stream to have a better selection . hope greenlick is fishable this year

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2016, 09:44 AM »
The Gander Mountain in Scranton has a so so selection for ice fishing, depending on the item there maybe a few versions or just one as for quantity that's really hit or miss and they don't seem to restock.  Most of the time I don't waste my time going there after I scope it out for the first time because the local Mom and Pop shops have better prices and even if they don't have something they'll order it in for you.

Offline minnook

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2016, 05:35 PM »
yeah chris that is true with most box store. and i am with you on supporting the mom and pop bait shops beside that where else are you getting your minnows ect. not cabelas or gander. they have a bad selection when the weather is warm

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2016, 03:11 AM »
That's for sure, most times there's more empty spaces than items for sale.  I stopped by today to scope it out and they were putting out ice fishing stuff.  Then I scoped out the guns, same stuff that was there when I was there about six months ago, about eight used rifles and shotguns combined.  They had a 1894 Winchester 30-30 that was in fair shape and they want $3,000 for, crazy.  I also saw a box of 50 Winchester .45 Long Colt lead bullets on the shelf with a price of $50.00.  With their lousy selection and crazy prices for the life of me I can't figure out how they manage to stay in business.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2016, 08:20 AM »
I don't even go up there any more. I don't waste much time at Dicks either. I go to Cabelas once a year right before ice season but it's kind of a family thing. I get most of my stuff at the small local places. In mid December I'll hit Hunters Gallery for the last minute stuff and check out the jigs and rods.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2016, 11:09 PM »
I like the Hunter's Gallery, they're nice people to deal with, will order stuff in for you if they don't have it, and have decent prices.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2016, 05:19 AM »
I'd rather spend my money there than at Gander.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2016, 06:48 AM »
I like the Hunter's Gallery, they're nice people to deal with, will order stuff in for you if they don't have it, and have decent prices.

HUNTERS GALLERY CARRIES  the NORTHLAND PRODUCTS.
They make a lot of great jigs and spoons....
I agree with spider,id rather spend my money anywhere than Dicks or Gander MT.

Chris ,,dose gander in DICKSON CITY have their ICEFISHING GEAR OUT YET????
I was up that way YESTERDAY,,NO TIME TO STOP.
HAD TO GET DONE EARLY..IT WAS MATS BIRTHDAY.24....Hes CATCHING UP TO US!!!!lol.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Oct 26, 2016, 05:48 PM »
On Monday they were just starting to put it out, they had three shelters, about six flashers, a couple jigging rods, and a few jigs out when I was there.

Offline JPascavage52

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 01, 2016, 09:06 AM »
Field and Stream in Altoona has a bunch of stuff out already.
Pro staff for:

Liquid Mayhem
Titan Tungsten
Lunker City
Toad Thumper Lures

Youtube channel:
www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing/videos

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Nov 01, 2016, 12:15 PM »
They're building a Field and Stream in Scranton but I've never been to one, how do you rate it for their prices and product selection?

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2016, 02:14 AM »
F&S is like anywhere else, the Internet will always beat their price, but all and all I do find alot of gear there and even being a hair more expensive it's nice that it's there when you need it. Selection really seems to vary by store, I was to four different locations winter and they all had the basics but the colder climates had alot more ice gear. This year I saw they had Ions, some inline reels, and alot more variety in their ice jigs as compared to last year. They do have good sales and really nice clearences pretty regularly.The only thing I can say they are really lacking on is their website, it's empty, hard to comparatively shop without going into the store.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Nov 05, 2016, 03:30 AM »
They're building a new building for the F&S and no chance it'll be ready for this ice season so I'll have to wait until next year and see how they compare to other shops.  It's going to be interesting to see if they put the Gander Mountain out of business that's down the road from them.  I don't think that would take much effort since that Gander Mountain doesn't have a big selection of anything and they're prices are crazy high.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Nov 05, 2016, 05:03 AM »
I have been to all the big box stores and IMO F&S was a nice well rounded store
  But I still like buying from my small home town shops
   Far as gander I called to see if they were getting the new clam stealth in and I was told they didn't have 1 on their list , really the newest thing clam has,  and not 1 , oh well
  And they do not have a restock policy when it's gone it's gone no matter if it's only a week into the season

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 05, 2016, 06:23 AM »
Any of you guys remember Sugarmans Eynon Drug, Rt. 6 Scranton Carbondale highway---man do I miss that place. Two trips a year, one in the spring for fishing, one in the fall for hunting, Still one of the best sporting goods selections I have ever seen, seemed they had everything you needed and they were reasonable. Rarely were they ever out of stock of any of the items that you went there for. I still have stuff here that I purchased from them. 

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Nov 05, 2016, 07:03 AM »
I sure do remember Sugarmen's, that place was the BEST.  It was pretty much the original Walmart, you could buy anything from a piece of pizza to a table saw, tv, rifle, and your groceries.  Lot's of people just called it the Eynnon.  LOL  Once the kid took it over that was the end of it.  There's a story that Harry Sugerman and Sam Walton were friends and that's how Sam Walton came up with the idea to make Walmart.

Offline StonecoldCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 05, 2016, 08:21 AM »
 Dick's has carried F&S branded merchandise for years,I'm guessing they have the same owner?
The Muncy GMt has a pretty good selection of Jigs,spoons and swimmers including some of the newer brand names like Lunkerhunt. No power augers in sight yet when I was there.Even though you shop online it's nice to be able to see the product first.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 07, 2016, 10:44 AM »
Dick's has carried F&S branded merchandise for years,I'm guessing they have the same owner?
The Muncy GMt has a pretty good selection of Jigs,spoons and swimmers including some of the newer brand names like Lunkerhunt. No power augers in sight yet when I was there.Even though you shop online it's nice to be able to see the product first.

Dick's owns Field and Stream.  Much better selection than Gander Moutain has, but still high retail prices. 
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 07, 2016, 01:32 PM »
Had the morning off, took a trip to Cabelas in WV, they were very picked over already and didn't have jawjackers or the venom uv lights, was told everything ending in .88 was closeout and being phased out. Looks like they are loosing alot of fishing stuff, don't know if it was yearly update or because of the buyout. Stopped at Gander in Washington, they don't have any ice fishing gear this year they sent it all to Minnesota. Field & Stream in Washington had about the biggest selection, but even it was a very lackluster, I picked up a small variety of lures and some reels from Cabelas. Looks like online is gonna be most of my purchases this year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.