Author Topic: Looking for a walleye brine for the smoker??  (Read 3540 times)

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Looking for a walleye brine for the smoker??
« on: Oct 22, 2016, 03:08 PM »
I looking to find out what others suggest for brines for walleye for the smoker?? I got a couple filets I am going to try this on.. so please and thank you for all advise. By the way I am use to doing steel and salmon..  10 minutes on smoker and 20 minutes at 350 in oven .. with my reg dry brine .. bUT Walters is a different fish is why iam asking.. looking for what people recommend is best..

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Looking for a walleye brine for the smoker??
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2016, 03:32 PM »
Found a yummy sounding one from polar Behr on this form.. here's the link to it. Any others I should check out?

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=239694.0

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2016, 02:44 PM »
For what I did I used
3c of water
1c soy sauce
1/2c dark brown sugar
1/2c white sugar
3/4 tsp garlic powDer
1/2 tsp onion powder

Figured the salt in the soy sauce was good enough and let sit in fridge over night  the origal recipe called for 1/3 cup canning salt and other stuff  which will dry it our way to fast from my experience with meats..

Here is a after shot of the finished product after smoking for 20 minutes will be finishing off at 350 for 20 minutes after dinner is done.. any how enjoy picture will let you know how it tastes after I get time to finish it..

Don't forget to form a pecel before smoking the fish I let it sit on a drying rack for 1 hour to 3 hours before I smoke it in open air then some for 20 minutes .. reason for the 20 minutes is my smoker tends to cook the meat and smoke it.. did not want to over do a good thing and wreck it which the type of smoker I have does cause of no temp controls..

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2016, 12:22 AM »
I assume that the lack of response is because walleye is too good naturally to need to smoke.  Smoking is why god invented salmon and trout.  Sorry,  just a personal opinion.  I am a white meat guy,  but smoked pink is excellent.

Tastes about the same as smoked trout that I have had.. I think walleye is better battered and fried my self to..  but  to each their own there is aways a place for smoked foods but for those that like them better then reg battered and fried ..  this just gave me some thing to try.. no big deal but for sure will get out the Garlic powder,Italian bread crumbs, and heat the oil and deep fry them next time..

Offline digginthefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2016, 02:13 PM »
You guys are making me hungry

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.