Author Topic: Uninsulated Clam Nanook 2014  (Read 1182 times)

Offline nd.walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Is there such a thing as a bad day of fishing?
Uninsulated Clam Nanook 2014
« on: Oct 19, 2016, 10:43 AM »
Found a used clam for $225, the uninsulated part I don't care about a whole lot but wanted some opinions on the shelter itself - usually me and one of the kids (12yo) and minimal gear. Not a whole lot of reviews online so wanted some feedback. :)

Offline illinoisicer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Uninsulated Clam Nanook 2014
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2016, 10:53 AM »
I have a Ninook that I bought about 3 seasons ago. I'm pretty happy with it and haven't had any issues. With my gear (poles, hand auger, buddy heater and beer) she gets a bit heavy (about 120#). I built a simple smitty sled out of 3/4" conduit and skis to get her above the snow when needed.

Offline nd.walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2016, 11:04 AM »
Yea i have a Smitty sled for transporting, so the pullability doesn't matter much there. I also have 4 boys (and 2 girls if they want) who can take rounds pulling the sled when their fat old man doesn't feel like it. :D It looks like a pretty decent unit - if it'll fit in my minivan i just may have to get it.

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2016, 12:20 PM »
I have an insulated version.  As you note, it can get a bit tight with two adults, but is perfect for an adult and a kid.  The tub on mine plows snow, so the Smitty is essential.  Thinking of cutting some weight by pulling the stock seats and using collapsible camp chairs.  Seats are not all that comfortable and the frames are heavy and take up a lot of tub space.
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2016, 01:50 PM »
I have one 4 years old. Un-insulated. I removed the seats and the seat frames so it's prolly 30 lbs lighter.  The poles dont always slide easily but waxing them helps. And the little nubs you must push to collapse the poles cant be done with most gloves.
Otherwise its fine.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Flatrocker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2016, 05:17 PM »
Another vote here for pulling the seat(s) & hardware.  Use your choice of a folding chair(s) instead.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2016, 11:16 PM »
The nanook is one of the best selling houses that Clam has in their line up. I my self just got a full thermal one and will be using it this season as a oversized one man and for when I take my son(10 yr old) out at times.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline bb400guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2016, 12:35 AM »
Good:  decent oversized one man or as said tighter two man (you can adjust the seat position to give a bit more room if you re-drill the holes) - smaller, can fit in the back of a smaller truck - lighter, easier to pull around - price.

Bad:  shi**ty hardware, buy new - tub is made of thinner plastic - have to rig a mounting bar if pulled by a ATV/snowmobile - poles, the buttons stick and they're steel (a few of mine have started to rust), seats are small and uncomfortable after sitting on them for a while.

Having said all the above, I'd buy it again - I got mine new for $225 CND so it was a sweet price.  Also, adding reflex on the roof is easy and does cut down the propane buddy heater.
How long is a piece of string?

Offline drscholl14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2016, 09:24 PM »
Have the Thermal Nanook and have been very happy with it for the last three seasons.  Has been pretty durable.  Only thing I would say is be careful with the zippers if they are the originals.  The pulls can get very brittle and break off pretty easy.

Offline nd.walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 21, 2016, 08:04 AM »
Looks like it got sold from under me so onwards to other items. From the sounds of it if I hold off until post-season i might be able to get it cheaper anyway.

Thanks for your input everyone!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.