Author Topic: Got my Eskimo Propane Auger today...  (Read 3924 times)

Offline Joe Henry

• Team IceShanty Regular
Got my Eskimo Propane Auger today...
« on: Oct 17, 2016, 04:34 PM »
Got my Eskimo HC40 today...it was 71F when the delivery guy arrived with it...I hope this isn't an Omen!   Fired it up with 2 pulls.  I think I will like it.  Oh and a heads up for future buyers...there is no longer a seperate On/Off switch on this auger.  The on/off is now accomplished with a lever valve that is on the Propane Line.  The Manual still showed the old style switch so I thought I was nuts for a little while there  ;D ... ok ok...I'm probably still a little nuts.  :P

Offline BAMF22

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Got my Eskimo Propane Auger today...
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2016, 05:11 PM »
Yours did not have an on/off switch?  I just bought mine from Scheels and it has the switch, they told me it was this years model.
I wish I knew how to do this!!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2016, 05:30 PM »
Congrats on the hole maker!!!

I remember as a kid waiting for holes to become abandoned because I only had a spud, 10 years old with 18 inches of ice took too long and by the time I had a hole, all the fish in lake were gone...

<°)))>{

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2016, 06:38 PM »
Should be a kill switch for safety's sake. I'd send a m
email to be sure.

Offline Joe Henry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2016, 07:59 PM »
Called Eskimo and they confirmed it..no more switch on the newest models.

Offline Big Lefty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2016, 09:36 PM »
One of the guys in our group bought the HC40 last winter.  It worked like a champ!  I'm sure you'll be happy with it.  Come on ice!!!

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 18, 2016, 09:45 AM »
I called and asked Eskimo about this when I got mine as well since my buddy's that I used last year had the on / off switch - it actually seems like a great change.

The on / off switch wasn't in the great place they admitted, so moving from hole to hole it could be 'turned off' by accident if the auger got to close to the users chest and it caused some frustration from users who drill a lot of holes. They mentioned they listened to their consumers, tested it out, and the issue was relevant. So, on the 2016 models the ONLY change to the auger is the removal of the on / off switch and the addition of the shut-off valve to turn it off. They mentioned to me a few Pro Staffers ran those models last year and loved the change...

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2016, 12:37 PM »
Did Eskimo ever fix there recoil pull start problems? My friend bought a brand new eskimo auger and has had to replace the pull start recoil 3 times now in 3 years. It is as cheap to buy the whole new recoil as it is just the broken spring which btw is a pain in @ss to replace.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2016, 12:41 PM »
Good luck with your new auger.  I've been eyeing them up since they came out. 

Offline Joe Henry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 18, 2016, 08:36 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

Offline Zhitnik44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2016, 05:29 PM »
Got my Eskimo HC40 today...it was 71F when the delivery guy arrived with it...I hope this isn't an Omen!   Fired it up with 2 pulls.  I think I will like it.  Oh and a heads up for future buyers...there is no longer a seperate On/Off switch on this auger.  The on/off is now accomplished with a lever valve that is on the Propane Line.  The Manual still showed the old style switch so I thought I was nuts for a little while there  ;D ... ok ok...I'm probably still a little nuts.  :P
had mine for three years now, no problems.

Offline HANK HILL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2017, 07:11 PM »
I found the same thing when I got mine, no on/off switch.  I'm sure they left the "switch" step on the instruction label just to mess with us.  The plate has nothing in it -- no HC40 decal or anything.  In fact it has a choke symbol, but it doesn't have a chick either.  Sounds like this is the plan by Eskimo though.

One last frustration is the quick release strap for the 1# bottle.  For the life of me, I can't get it to lock.  I've looked at pictures and it seems right, but it must be assembled incorrectly.  Did you have any issues with locking the clasp on the strap??

Offline Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2017, 09:19 PM »
Costco in montana has the 10" propane eskimo Auger for $399.99 now.

Offline Iceman612000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2017, 09:28 PM »
Have you ran it when it is close to zero degrees and windy? I have been curious on how the propane tanks handle the cold on an auger.

Offline Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2017, 10:03 PM »
Ice run my jiffy propane in -20 with 20mph winds, worked great

Offline Coldwaternut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2017, 10:17 PM »
I just bought the HC40 also from Reeds Family Outdoor Outfitters. Thursday is arrival day can't wait

Offline Zhitnik44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2017, 12:50 PM »
Had mine 2 years worked GREAT! first year. Didn't get to use it last year no ice. :-\ Sure it will work great again this year' Common ice! ::)

Offline 04toyota79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2017, 01:28 PM »
To all you who have bought an Eskimo HC40 I have only one thing to say....BEST AUGER I HAVE EVER OWNED!! I've had mine going on 3 yrs. I've drilled probly 200-250 holes and have only gone through 2 propane bottles. By far a great investment. Good luck to all this season! Tight lines and stay on top!

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2017, 03:18 PM »
I got the HC40 last year, it's been great so far and glad to hear from people owning for a few years with no problems. I posted a question on the auger forum about starting it the first time this season after replacing oil and it was as if the flywheel was stuck.  I was a bit leery about forcing it, but after I did a white cloud of smoke came out, then I was able to continue pulling it several time until it started. It's been fine since, and I don't know why that first one was so hard.
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2017, 03:48 PM »
That's too bad.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2017, 07:05 PM »
I don't need a new auger by any means but I've been eyeing up the Eskimo propane augers and have to say it sure seems like they did their homework before they started selling them.  Don't get me wrong I love my Eskimo Mako but if I was going to get a new auger it'd be a really tough choice between another Mako or the propane one.

Offline Miller73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2017, 07:33 PM »
I too bought an eskimo propane two years ago, and have drilled maybe 270-300 holes...I just started my 3rd bottle of propane.....it will take me three pulls to start it from the day before....then 1 usually the rest of the day...a guinea pig on the first year, but so far it is great, the only problem is my anger is the only one we use when fishing, so it will wear my blades down quicker....ha....

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2017, 07:37 PM »
the only problem is my anger....

That's okay bro.. Some of us have anger problems..

<°)))>{

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2017, 07:40 PM »
Take up a collection for new blades.   ;D

Offline Miller73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2017, 08:16 PM »
Haha....yes, my anger when I get skunked.....I meant AUGER ...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.