Author Topic: gps  (Read 880 times)

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
gps
« on: Oct 06, 2016, 03:57 PM »
Wondering what you guys would say is the best GPS to go out on lake erie? I'm looking to get the best most reliable unit I can. I'm looking to hopefully not spend more than 125.00. Any responses is greatly appreciated. I will be pulling my otter with a snowmobile.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: gps
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2016, 04:10 PM »
Garmin ...Etrex 20,30...you can make custom maps so if you can find the portion of Erie you fish you can make a downloadable/custom map . Not sure you can get one for that price range .Other Garmins are capable of making custom maps also but don't think you will find them in that price range .

https://www.garmin.com/us/products/onthetrail/custommaps
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2016, 05:44 PM »
Ty H.D. I didn't figure that would be possible so time to get some honey do's to fatten my spending limit. @). How much more am I looking at without researching myself if you know off hand? Thanks bud.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2016, 06:19 PM »
$ 170 ish ....but wait for Black Friday/Cyber Monday ...I did buy my Etrex 20 about two years ago w/topo micro SD chip for $169 from BPS or Cabelas...during hunting season so keep yours eyes peeled .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2016, 06:31 PM »
And iyo how is the battery life of the unit?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2016, 06:42 PM »
They lasts quite awhile ...I use two AA rechargeable batteries ...but turn the unit off when not in immediate use ..acquires position very quickly if you haven't moved far from previous shut off location..I have made several custom maps fairly easy ..I printed out the instructions and just took my time. They do have a SD card called Lake VU but that will set you back $100 bucks or more . If your a hunter and/or hiker its a nice unit...plenty of videos on its features and functions on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/thecyr/search?query=etrex+20

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2016, 07:22 PM »
Check out the Navionics Webapp on your computer:
https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=it#boating@10&key=cr~%7CFhfrwN
The shore line, islands on west end along with many points of interest have contours. Inner lake has depth values. Also highlights the Canadian Border. If you find these useable, you can get the Navionics Boating App for our Smart Phone or tablet and Download the desired region. Than do periodic updates to get the latest maps. Just make sure if you use a tablet it has a GPS chip built in. Most Smart phones are GPS configured. The App has an annual subscription of $9.99 with following years subscriptions renewal  at $4.99.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2016, 09:52 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys I'm going to look into the garmins.

Offline coyotebc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 19, 2016, 03:26 PM »
I haven't tried this on ice yet but here is what I have done for 4x4'ing in a truck and an atv.
I currently have the following Garmin handheld units
60csx (about 7 or 8 years) bought new
2 rino 520 hcx  bought off of Craigslist for $60 each

These are good solid units that are ipx7 rated and the 60csx has landed in a creek, when out on the water I have a co2 water activated float attached to them

I have windshield mounts and 12 volt power supplies for each, I have used them to around minus 20 Celsius without a problem

The issue I have with them is that the screens are small so using maps can be difficult

A couple of years ago I bought some Garmin nuvi car GPS with 4.3 inch screens, I loaded topo maps for my local area on SD cards
I have one in my truck and set up four more for friends of mine
They work great
I bought all of them off of Craigslist for between $20 and $30 each, they all had outdated maps and some need to be plugged into the car to run.
The only thing I did was make sure that the model had the high sensitivity antenna  (Garmin website) and that it took either SD or micro SD cards.
These car GPS are not water resistant and the ones built for motorcycles are too expensive

What I did this year on my atv was buy a clear plastic waterproof case designed for using a nuvi GPS on a bike, so far after 3 trips in the rain the GPS is still working fine

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Oct 19, 2016, 03:45 PM »
A couple of years ago I bought some Garmin nuvi car GPS with 4.3 inch screens, I loaded topo maps for my local area on SD cards

I am familiar how to load maps onto my Garmin Etrex 20 ...but how do you load maps onto your car GPS ? Where are you getting your Topo maps etc.

Offline coyotebc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 19, 2016, 03:49 PM »
I have used Garmin topo maps v4 and BC back roads map v4
Both use the same Garmin software for the nuvi and handhelds

Offline coyotebc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 19, 2016, 04:02 PM »
In fact I originally took the micro SD card with garmin too maps loaded onto it out of my 60csx and put it into a garmin nuvi 255w to see if it would work
it did, however you have to go into map settings and disable the street map, if you don't all it will show is the street map as garmin gives it priority

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Oct 19, 2016, 04:17 PM »
coyotebc....mmmm I will have to consider that as an option ...although my Etrex 20 screen is small its manageable .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.