Author Topic: best inline reel?  (Read 9895 times)

Offline chop1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: best inline reel?
« Reply #30 on: Oct 08, 2016, 07:33 AM »
thanks for your opinions . any reviews on the Rapala concept in line , looks the same as the premium eagle claw.

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Oct 08, 2016, 09:45 AM »
If you are looking for the Right Hand style. Reeds has a sale going on. The Tear Drop and the CGI right hand ones are on sale.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Oct 08, 2016, 11:35 AM »
I tried the Eagle Claw plastic reel and did not like it and sold it. I bought a #8 Tackle CGI and it is okay. I think the free spool and drag was smoother and easier to adjust. I use it if the bite is on and I want to get back down in a hurry. For water deeper than 15' or when using spoons or aggressive jigging I still prefer a spinning reel. For light jigs and water 10' or less, I still like Schooley reels.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Oct 10, 2016, 06:00 AM »
Took the plunge and ordered my first inline ice reel today........ordered the Black Betty Freefall.  We got our first snow here in Saskatchewan the other day and I am already feeling the urge to get out there.

Let me know how u like the Freefall. I was a little worried about the freespool trigger if/when and water gets in there and freezes.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline OIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Oct 21, 2016, 07:01 AM »
For your money the reels from Ice Hooper are the best value out there. I use the Tight Line Extreme and Sidewinder Pro reels alot. I get mine at Sportsmen's Direct. They have a coupon code going right now also on thier website.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Oct 21, 2016, 07:40 AM »
Let me know how u like the Freefall. I was a little worried about the freespool trigger if/when and water gets in there and freezes.

I have two of them. Just got them so obviously no time on the ice. I really like them and intend to replace all my inline reels with them if they fish as well on the ice as they do in my house.  The trigger is a great feature especially with gloves.  They are about 1/2 oz. lighter than the 6061's.

Offline Lukaszu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Oct 21, 2016, 07:42 AM »
It will start a pissing contest... I would have rephrase the question into this- which Inline reel not to buy with the budget of...?

Offline juangomer2011

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Oct 21, 2016, 11:18 AM »
I have two of them. Just got them so obviously no time on the ice. I really like them and intend to replace all my inline reels with them if they fish as well on the ice as they do in my house.  The trigger is a great feature especially with gloves.  They are about 1/2 oz. lighter than the 6061's.

I'm going to take mine out tomorrow and just fish off the dock with it! What pound test are you going to put on the FreeFall?

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Oct 21, 2016, 11:23 AM »
I'm going to take mine out tomorrow and just fish off the dock with it! What pound test are you going to put on the FreeFall?

DAM Tectan 4 lb Mono on one and Ardent Gliss 12 lb on the other

Offline SRogert

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Oct 21, 2016, 11:30 AM »
Got my freefall today, It seems absolutely perfect! I have 5# PLine Floroice and a St Croix Avid Ice Air 30". Now I just need some hard water.

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Oct 21, 2016, 11:35 AM »
The Free fall looks like it is exactly what an inline reel should be. Even if you are fishing 30 fow all inlines I've experienced are a PITA.
Rippin' Lips and Jerkin' Jaws

Offline adam lancia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 17, 2018, 06:51 AM »
Bringing this back from the depths for a quick question: does the Eagle Claw have indifferent anti reverse? Thanks in advance!!

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 17, 2018, 07:24 AM »
I just bought an eagle claw last week and it does not have the anti reverse. Overall I really like the reel, I'd give it 4 stars. It is not very smooth when reeling, you can feel the gears grinding like you can with a cheap spinning reel.  For $30 and for what I need it for, it works great.  The free spool works very well. I couldn't bring it to drop over $65 on a black betty.  I might buy another one of these eagle claws next year.

Offline mainlander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 17, 2018, 09:47 AM »
Only my second year ice fishing and have only used my summer spinning reel with braided line but really intrigued with inline reels. Some questions:

I noticed mono/fluoro mentioned for inline reels. Why is this preferred over braided? Is there a loss of sensitivity using mono or negligible due to shorter length used in hardwaters. Is the memory concern a non issue because the spool diameter is larger on inline reels?

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 17, 2018, 11:41 AM »
It all depends how deep you are fishing.  If you a using a small jig in 60 or 80 fow I would definitely use braid, there is too much stretch in mono to feel light bites. The big advantage with in line reels is reduced line twist. It is my understanding that since the reel is positioned the same way the line comes off the spool and not sideways like a spinning reel, it reduces the line twist thus reduces the spinning motion your jig will make in the water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.