Author Topic: best inline reel?  (Read 9891 times)

Offline chop1

• Team IceShanty Regular
best inline reel?
« on: Oct 05, 2016, 08:02 PM »
don't want to start pissing match but was looking for some opinions on what inline reel to buy ? looking to try one this year  i mostly fish perch and trout.
cheers ???

Offline juangomer2011

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: best inline reel?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2016, 08:10 PM »
I'm wanting to get an inline as well this year. I'm waiting for the 13 Fishing FreeFall to come out. One of their guys told me that it's supposed to come out this week!

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2016, 08:26 PM »
I think Rapala makes one. I saw something on Youtube about it. Really has my interest as well...
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2016, 01:09 AM »
13 reels are nice but pricey ,  , some in lines are smoother than others , wright & Mc Gill makes a nice inline for much less and is quite smooth , another I have heard good things about is the HWI tight line pro but I have not seen that one yet
I fish 6061s in lines for perch ,walleyes  and lakers ,
Far as the best I guess that's up to the individual, 

Offline Gator800r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2016, 07:08 AM »
I bought a Frabrill straighline 371 and paired it up with a thorne bro's trip wire rod and I liked it so much I bought a 2nd 371 Frabrill reel. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one either. Excellent reel in my opinion.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2016, 07:25 AM »
I bought a black betty 6061 and No. 8 Tackle CGI Ice Reel last year, but couldn't use them:  no ice.  They both seem like really nice reels, but................... .............

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2016, 07:49 AM »
I'm a huge fan on inlines for light jigs so I've tried a ton of them. I find the 1:1 reels 'fun' to fish with when I'm shallower than 10 feet so I have a pile of the original black betty's on UL rods. The 'best' inline I've found is the Black Betty 6061 as far as smoothness of free fall & drag so this has been my go-to the past few years. With that said, there was one downfall to these - they were made of aluminum and it got really cold. It didn't stop me from using them obviously, but it required a glove on the hand holding the rod a lot of days.

I talked to a buddy who was down at iCast in July and they fixed this with the new FreeFall. He feels its going to be the 'perfect' inline finally, since they went to carbon vs. aluminum and he said the new free spool button is perfect and no longer requires two-hand operation... I plan on picking a few of these up before ice season after I can get a hands-on feel of them in the store.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2016, 08:01 AM »
I bought a black betty 6061 and No. 8 Tackle CGI Ice Reel last year, but couldn't use them:  no ice.  They both seem like really nice reels, but................... .............

I'm in the same boat as vanhln.  ^^^^^^^  No pun intended, but I've been using my 6061 on my 13 Fishing Hole Hopper to jig out of my boat this summer and it's a blast!  Once your get the reel dialed into the lure weight your using, the drop is fast, but controlled and smooth.  The drag is good.  I've really enjoyed using the reel on open water and literally can't wait to play with it on the ice!
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 06, 2016, 08:20 AM »
Your question is impossible to answer as all in-lines sock! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Oct 06, 2016, 09:30 AM »
W0059 I saw one before I-Cast and think you may like them , lighter and won't draw the cold , I fish in a shack so thats never been an issue

Offline BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 06, 2016, 09:44 AM »
Holy Iceholes Batman, that FreeFall is $110...

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 06, 2016, 10:11 AM »
Guys, quit being so boneheaded about this stuff. If that's the way you want to fish, just pick up a cheap fly reel.
Ebay has them for $25 delivered. That's all an in-line ice reel is.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 06, 2016, 10:25 AM »
Guys, quit being so boneheaded about this stuff. If that's the way you want to fish, just pick up a cheap fly reel.

Not so, cheap fly reels do not have a free spool function. I often jig lakers in 100' of water or more, so a free spool function is paramount for me. I can keep my drag set perfectly and free spool to drop my jig 100 feet. The free spool function is what makes an ice reel an ice reel in my mind.

I use the Eagle Claw, the good one that is all aluminum. So far so good.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Oct 06, 2016, 11:03 AM »
I can keep my drag set perfectly and free spool to drop my jig 100 feet. The free spool function is what makes an ice reel an ice reel in my mind.

I can do that with any $10 spinning reel.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 06, 2016, 11:05 AM »
I have 3 of the No. 8 Tackle CGI Ice Reels that I use for panfishing and I like them.  Also have one of the Eagle Claws - it's ok, but I'm not fond of the short stem and the CGI reels seem a bit smoother.  You can buy 4 of the CGI reels for one freefall, so unless you have a special application in mind for the freefall I'd go with the CGI's.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 06, 2016, 12:30 PM »
defish,  the No 8s are supposed to be similar to the 6061 I heard....Or maybe they are similar to the lower model BBs....

Offline shootsmcgee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 06, 2016, 01:46 PM »
I picked up the rapala inline concept and absolutely hate it. The reel actually spools to freely and the one side is totally open which lets lots of line fly off the side and tangle. It looks good and is quality built but it just doesn't work in the real world. Might be better if a guy uses some super limp braid but with any type of mono or flouro its a no go!
well if you were me then i'd be you and i really wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about...

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #17 on: Oct 06, 2016, 01:54 PM »
fly reels have no gear ratio or free spool.takes forever to reel  in a fish in deeper water with 1 to 1 gear ratio reels.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 06, 2016, 02:27 PM »
Yup, but I still balk at the price of the in-lines, esp when they receive such crappy reviews.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #19 on: Oct 06, 2016, 02:32 PM »
yeah ive used the frabill 101,eagle claw short/long stem inline and the cgi inlines.i prefer my shimano siennas spinning reels.better quality for the price of any of the inlines.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Oct 06, 2016, 02:53 PM »

That's why we all have choices , to each their own ,

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Oct 07, 2016, 11:42 AM »
A lot of great choices.  I see the CGI comes in left or right hand versions.  Does this refer to the hand you turn the crank with?  So if I hold the rod with my left hand I would get a right hand reel?

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 07, 2016, 11:59 AM »
Pontiac, I believe it means the hand you turn the crank from.

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 07, 2016, 12:05 PM »
A lot of great choices.  I see the CGI comes in left or right hand versions.  Does this refer to the hand you turn the crank with?  So if I hold the rod with my left hand I would get a right hand reel?

Yes that is correct. I hold the rod in my left hand and crank the reel with my right. If that is how you fish. Then the right hand one is the one you want.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #24 on: Oct 07, 2016, 12:32 PM »
Thanks Guys

Offline iowapackfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 07, 2016, 01:24 PM »
Not so, cheap fly reels do not have a free spool function. I often jig lakers in 100' of water or more, so a free spool function is paramount for me. I can keep my drag set perfectly and free spool to drop my jig 100 feet. The free spool function is what makes an ice reel an ice reel in my mind.

I use the Eagle Claw, the good one that is all aluminum. So far so good.
same here with Eagle Claw. Got 2 of em and really luv em
God,Country, and the Green Bay Packers

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Oct 07, 2016, 02:50 PM »
I really liked the tear drop reel made by Fishing13. But they have discontinued them. Far from perfect but I liked the general idea. If it had a level wind on it I would like it more. I picked mine up when they were closed out. As far as drag and other functions I again like the reel.

Its one major fault is tangles down in the reel. I use braid as my main line and mono as a leader. Since I have been using rather thin braid for my main line. Perhaps the tangle fiasco could be better controlled by using thicker braid so it would layer more naturally on the reel. Will have to experiment with some thicker braid. Tangling does not happen often but it does have a tendency to do so at the worst times.

Perhaps some one with more experience with this reel will chime in with their solution to the tangle problem.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline Saskassasin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Oct 07, 2016, 04:41 PM »
Took the plunge and ordered my first inline ice reel today........ordered the Black Betty Freefall.  We got our first snow here in Saskatchewan the other day and I am already feeling the urge to get out there. 

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Oct 07, 2016, 06:08 PM »
http://m.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=13-Fishing-Black-Betty-Teardrop-Inline-Ice-Reel-Right-Hand&i=747752
Did find this but most use left hand reels
Also I saw some on E-bay and reeds sporting goods listed them

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Oct 07, 2016, 06:45 PM »
I use a Ant King fly reel, looks similar to the HWI tight line reel. Had a Eagle Claw inline which I didn't care for, donated to the B-P Fish Club.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.