The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: leaders  (Read 2332 times)

Offline Fish123456

• IceShanty Rookie
leaders
« on: Oct 03, 2016, 10:39 AM »
does everyone use mono ? fluro? or do some people tie direct to the tip up line. ?

does a leader make a huge difference?

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
Re: leaders
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2016, 01:25 PM »
depends what you're fishing for. i'll use ice line, 8lb for bass and 3 or 4 for trout, steel leaders for toothy critters.
some people use 20+ leaders to ensure no fish gets away from breakage. i like to give the fish a fighting chance

burp
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2016, 02:05 PM »
fishing for bass I use 15lb flouro after snapping 8 lb when getting into Pickerel. I tie several leaders so I can take broken leader off swivel and snap new one on.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2016, 11:07 PM »
In Massachusetts I target Big chain picks , LM and Smallout bass most of the time. Giant picks are tricky, I have had 20lb floro cut. I do not believe they can cut 30lb., or at least I haven't seen that. Also, I fish in swamps and backwater areas, now you hook a five pound LM and first thing is it does is wrap in as much weed and sticks as it can. Another good case for 20 and 30 pound leader. You don't want 8 pound test in these situations.
I use a ball bearing swivel with a 3 foot leader.
As far as floro vs mono big debate, but let's just say I have returned to mono for most applications. Much less money, and I have a lifetime supply. Also knots are WAY better in mono.
It is my opinion that fish can't tell difference between mono and floro and if they could see it not sure that they would care.
What they do care about is how natural bait looks when attached to it. If you are fishing a small minnow for trout in a clear lake with a one inch minnow...I'd go to 8 lb test not so much for visibility rather small bait will behave more naturally.
I'm assuming you are talking tip up here right?
I fished a lot with 6 lb test a #10 hook and a worm in a deep snag free lakes in Montana. With drag set right you can catch huge trout with that set up.
Fishing a five foot deep snag infested weedy pond in Mass 20 or 30lb mono just fine. Especially if you catch LM bass of a life time and I it wraps or want a chance for a toothy 24" plus chain pick.
Yes, use a leader. Does it really matter? If you don't you look might googan to me.
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2016, 12:52 PM »
Like Papa Sly I tie up several leaders for different situations. 2lb to 20lb, wire if needed.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 07, 2016, 01:57 PM »
Yup have several Lindy leader holders and have several different type leaders, short, long, beads and blades, plain, weights and no weights, and all different types of lb. test. I only use flouro leader material now but don't tie knots anymore! I crimp everything from 4lb to wire thanks to many here that convinced me last year!

Offline ssduramax66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2016, 07:19 PM »
I do a lot of trout fishing, mostly with 4 lb fluorocarbon.  When I go for bass pickerel or LT I tend to use 10 lb flourocarbon.  I use a small swivel on the end of my braid tied to my leader.  Usually use about 3ft of leader.  I used to use fire line religiously but after fishing flouro I swear the fish can see the fireline.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2016, 09:06 PM »
I agree and as long as you use 20+ pound flouro but I agree knots are much harder to tie correctly. That's why you need to crimp all knots and tie downs. This way you get the best of both worlds, stronger line that's harder to see and crimping so all knots are much stronger than tying.

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2016, 01:34 AM »
Is it easy to crimp them? Where do you guys get the materials to crimp from? I use 25lb seaguar flouro for my leaders, and have noticed a positive increase in fish. 25lb is nice knowing that around here you can get into some very big pike or a musky or two. Good peace of mind. I mainly like it better because of no kinky steel leaders.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2016, 05:43 AM »
Is it easy to crimp them? Where do you guys get the materials to crimp from? I use 25lb seaguar flouro for my leaders, and have noticed a positive increase in fish. 25lb is nice knowing that around here you can get into some very big pike or a musky or two. Good peace of mind. I mainly like it better because of no kinky steel leaders.

A pike will slice thru 25lb fluoro like butter. Dont ask how i know =(
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 10, 2016, 09:31 PM »
I went up to up-state New York last year and where we were fishing there were large pike and bass. We caught over 25 large pike (25-38") with 30# flouro. I tested fishing wire vs. Flouro and we had 8X more hits on flouro and although we didn't catch any monsters over 40" we never lost one pike where the pike cut through the line. I had always fished wire locally but am convinced all the extra hits are worth the occasional line break if that happens. You have to make sure that you are using leader material and not regular line. You can buy everything you need to crimp and once you get it down it is 100% stronger than a knot with flouro. I can only thank the guys on this site for all this info and my hook up rates on pike are so much better now that I am using flouro.

Offline basst_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2016, 12:00 PM »
10-12lbs floro for bass 6-8lbs for trout.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #12 on: Oct 11, 2016, 12:58 PM »
i tie 25# floro for every kind of fish? i still get cut off with toothy critters although we land some in the corner of the lip. but land bass, stripers,crabbies,and perch and cat feesh.i use inviz i think it helps.
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #13 on: Oct 31, 2016, 07:33 AM »
30 # fluro for most trips 40-50 if going bass fishing where pike live. Crimping is the easiest and quickest method.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 31, 2016, 09:41 AM »
I don't know why you guys have so much trouble with tying a knot in floro. I have no problem landing 130+ lb tuna on 80 floro with a Palomar knot... I use Seaguard Leader Mat, not "casting Line". Yes it cost more, but it lasts and you catch more fish using it... I too use crimps, when I am shark fishing and using 100-250 lb test line... Now that is hard to tie knots in... In the end, if you are more confident using crimps, then you should use crimps, but anyone that wants a knot tying refresher, let me know or come to one of the seminars that I do.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 31, 2016, 09:58 AM »
I'D love to when is the next knot tying seminar?

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 31, 2016, 10:06 AM »
If you can make it to the Ale House Gathering on Saturday, I will bring some line...

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 31, 2016, 11:20 AM »
Ok I am going to try to make it this year with my brother

Offline bojango

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 31, 2016, 07:43 PM »
I use 50 flouro for pike and 17 or 20 flouro for bass. I crimp the 50 and tie the 20

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 31, 2016, 08:08 PM »

Make it 50# BaitBucket.... That's what I know.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #20 on: Nov 02, 2016, 09:43 AM »

Brwaaahhh!!  I know!

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Nov 02, 2016, 05:09 PM »
Brwaaahhh!!  I know!

50# too... ugh...  :'(

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 02, 2016, 05:19 PM »
50# too... ugh...  :'(

Mmmmmm, yeah. Fluoro is OK but you gotta allow enough diameter (which translates to # test) to account for the eventual nicks/cuts, and if it gets to sawing God help you. My buddy likes fluoro for musky leaders (it's invisible magic you know  ;) ) and it's always a bone of contention when we fish. He thinks 80# is enough (you just gotta know how to play 'em  ::) ). This past September he popped a 37", small by musky standards but nice by a pike ruler. We got the fish in the net, took a quick pic and released. Bill got to checking his tackle and said "OMG! How did I ever land that thing! Watch this....." as he proceeded to hold his leader up, pull gently as I watched it separate in the middle.

To the rest of you: Good Luck!  ;)2

I've "preached" here for years but there are always those that know or can do better than I. They should go by lottery tickets I say.

Anyway, enough soapbox. I'll probably jump up a few more times this season but it's like banging your head against the wall..... To each their own.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Nov 02, 2016, 05:27 PM »
On my tip-ups I've been using six feet of thirty pound Spider Wire EZ Braid.  It may sound like over kill because it's 30 pound line but it has the diameter of eight pound test, has very little memory, holds up well and unless a fish bites through the line it's very unlikely it will break.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 02, 2016, 05:43 PM »
I was also using a braid but with the flouro leaders i get a lot more flags. I think fish are much more line shy during the winter. I still use braid in the summer when they are more aggressive. Last year I found I got 2-3x more hits on the flouro than braid and that's what I ice fish for...more action so all the type going to flouro this year.
I also have 2 jigging poles with braid and 2 with a flouro leader on the braid and caught a lot more fish on the braid leaders.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #25 on: Nov 02, 2016, 06:11 PM »
On my tip-ups I've been using six feet of thirty pound Spider Wire EZ Braid.  It may sound like over kill because it's 30 pound line but it has the diameter of eight pound test, has very little memory, holds up well and unless a fish bites through the line it's very unlikely it will break.

Oh Chris, good for lots of stuff but not toothy critters. 30# superline is tough but in the cut proof arena it is dead last in my book of experiences. For anything but pike/pickerel/muskies your OK. BTDT.....

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Nov 03, 2016, 11:11 AM »
The main reason I went with the Spider Wire EX braid is because most of the lakes I fish have pickerel in them and out of all my experiences I've only had one bite through the Spider Wire.  Maybe I got lucky but I don't think I'm that lucky. 

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #27 on: Nov 03, 2016, 12:24 PM »
Mmmmmm, yeah. Fluoro is OK but you gotta allow enough diameter (which translates to # test) to account for the eventual nicks/cuts, and if it gets to sawing God help you. My buddy likes fluoro for musky leaders (it's invisible magic you know  ;) ) and it's always a bone of contention when we fish. He thinks 80# is enough (you just gotta know how to play 'em  ::) ). This past September he popped a 37", small by musky standards but nice by a pike ruler. We got the fish in the net, took a quick pic and released. Bill got to checking his tackle and said "OMG! How did I ever land that thing! Watch this....." as he proceeded to hold his leader up, pull gently as I watched it separate in the middle.

To the rest of you: Good Luck!  ;)2

I've "preached" here for years but there are always those that know or can do better than I. They should go by lottery tickets I say.

Anyway, enough soapbox. I'll probably jump up a few more times this season but it's like banging your head against the wall..... To each their own.

Steel is Real !

I literally can not recall all the times I've seen Flouro separate with a pike, including the above incident with Baitebucket.

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Nov 04, 2016, 05:02 AM »
Steel is Real !

I literally can not recall all the times I've seen Flouro separate with a pike, including the above incident with Baitebucket.

:'(
Was the last time i used Fluoro lol

PS.. U comming to the gathering this Saturday?

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 04, 2016, 07:35 AM »
30 floro lands any size pike but you do have to change it after every fish. If you leave any nick or ruffness you will lose fish.....we pike fish heavy and fish half steel and half floro. We get more bites on Floro hands down, we only use steel when we have to double hook our bait as they are 12 inches big.....and the floro tangles too much when doing that.Use what works for you, and if you think floro is a waste of fish, think of it this way that means more pike for you to catch in theory..when they escape you say....I like having floro due to extra bonus catches, walleye, lake trout. We got a 9lb laker  in 4 feet of water....right after a 9 lb pike sure surprised us......hence the 50/50 set up :-) 
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.