Author Topic: Going cheap?  (Read 3308 times)

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Going cheap?
« on: Oct 01, 2016, 08:54 AM »
Looking for some cheap flasher suggestions...  I am using an ICE55 that I LOVE...  My son, for the first time, is telling me that he wants to go ice fishing with me this year.  Right now, he is really, really into fishing.  Any free moment we have since spring has him wanting to go fishing...  So, as we all know, a flasher really is a game-changer when it comes to ice fishing.  Obviously, a $400 unit isn't needed...  Living in Reno, there is no used market for flashers like we have in the Midwest; pretty much have to buy new.  Any thoughts on those newer fish finder/flasher units that use your cell phone or tablet as a screen?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jim

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Going cheap?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 2016, 09:07 AM »
Do you use a fish finder for the open water season? I use my Lowrance Elite 5 on my boat and on the ice. Many brands now offer a ice fishing transducers and bags. If not FL-8 vexilars can be found on Ebay used in the 150-200 dollar range.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2016, 09:23 AM »
some come up for sale right here in the for sale section. then you have craigs list and ebay.

maybe some one will respond to your needs right here in a PM for you.
my ice-55 is a back up unit now.
maybe you could buy yourself an upgrade and let your son use your hb.

don't forget about ice safety by wearing floating ice fishing coats and bibs.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2016, 10:01 AM »
Vex factory out let has a reconditioned fl8 in a genz box for 259.00 that has a warranty , I have bought 2 this way  they are both  well over 10 years old  and still work perfect 

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2016, 11:28 AM »
Amazon has the marcum vx1i for under $240, that would be my first choice. Even cheaper would be maybe a showdown(?)

Offline GoldenGraham

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2016, 11:51 AM »
I also think a vx-1i would be a great option for a starter flasher. Right now amazon has it for $221, roughly $100 off.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Oct 01, 2016, 12:18 PM »
if you want a cheap flasher and get years of use out of it.you cant beat a vexilar fl8se.heck it will probably outlast your bird 55.haha jk.marcum vx1 are cheap and have zoom but ive had 2 units with bad motors and my bro in law replaced his too.not very reliable imo.i have had a few troller 2.0s that I liked but think you will get more years out of a vexilar..

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 01, 2016, 12:32 PM »
ebay has a lot of older flashers selling for less than 50 I would say any of the lowrance system 2000 models will work well for your son. I just gave one away a while back and it marks the jig well. Look for one that has the cylinder shaped transducer.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 01, 2016, 05:37 PM »
I'm with GoldenGraham.  The Marcum VX-1i @ over $100 off would be my choice.  Great unit to start the young man off with.
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 01, 2016, 06:30 PM »
I have no experience with the units that hook up to a phone or tablet, but I would be skeptical of how they would perform in colder weather because I know I have lost all battery life when leaving my phone expose for just a few minutes in the cold. 
Like others said the entry level vexilar, hummingbird, Marcum would all be fine starter units, but I would not rule out the lowrance.  You can get an icepack setup ready to ice fish for $179-$400 (depending on model) and quite honestly achieve as much if not more than your standard flasher.  Looks like Cabelas has them marked down from retail:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lowrance-reg-Elite-X-CHIRP-Ice-Machine-Sonar/2064102.uts?productVariantId=4256522&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04222183&rid=20&gclid=CPXXk8fgus8CFQUQaQodilILEQ&gclsrc=aw.dshttp://www.cabelas.com/product/LOWRANCE-ELITE-X-PORTABLE-SONAR/1884296.uts?productVariantId=4002772&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04022266&rid=20&gclid=CKbS1J_hus8CFQMdaQodkNMNNA&gclsrc=aw.ds
I love my lowrance and find that I use it as my main unit these days.  The hummingbird is just used as a backup.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 02, 2016, 11:54 AM »
I got a Marcum LX 2 with zoom if interested send a pm I'll put it in for sale area

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 02, 2016, 08:17 PM »
Looking for some cheap flasher suggestions...  I am using an ICE55 that I LOVE...  My son, for the first time, is telling me that he wants to go ice fishing with me this year.  Right now, he is really, really into fishing.  Any free moment we have since spring has him wanting to go fishing...  So, as we all know, a flasher really is a game-changer when it comes to ice fishing.  Obviously, a $400 unit isn't needed...  Living in Reno, there is no used market for flashers like we have in the Midwest; pretty much have to buy new.  Any thoughts on those newer fish finder/flasher units that use your cell phone or tablet as a screen?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jim

Scan eBay you can get a good deal on a vex fl8 or anything for reasonable price.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 04, 2016, 06:04 AM »
ebay has a fl-3 fl-6 fl-8 and one add said one was used once

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 04, 2016, 07:52 AM »
What is an fl-3

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Oct 04, 2016, 09:14 AM »
The cheapest Marcum you can get is the VX-1i, it's their lowest model and it costs $339.99 on their website but you're getting limited features.  Personally I'd spend a few dollars more and get the VX-3 which costs $439.99 on their website.

VX-1i:

http://www.rapala.com/marcum/fish-finders-sonar/vx-1i-3-color-sonar-flasher-system/VX-1I.html?cgid=marcum-sonar&start=5

VX-3:

http://www.rapala.com/marcum/fish-finders-sonar/flasher-ice-systems/lx-3tci-true-color-sonar-flasher-system/LX-3TCI.html

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 04, 2016, 02:55 PM »
What is an fl-3

Si-tex          hondex        micronar         one of these cam't remember

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Oct 04, 2016, 05:08 PM »
It's a Si-Tex Honda ,fish finder
eBay did have a couple for sale

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #18 on: Oct 05, 2016, 07:43 AM »
marcums web site still has a 10% off deal when you sign up for email ads, if your buying new. so if your thinking the vx3, you should be able to get it for the vx1 price.

showdown is another option if spending that much and with the discount should bring it down to 350 or less.
showdown is a vertical display and makes more sense to view than a circle, but is it gray scale and single angle at wide angle, no narrow beam.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Oct 07, 2016, 10:58 PM »
Thanks for the tips...  Cabela's right now has the Lowrance Elite-4x Chirp Ice Machine on sale for $254.00.  Anyone know anything about this unit?  Will keep an eye on Amazon and ebay.

Jim

Offline lostlunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Oct 07, 2016, 11:27 PM »
Thanks for the tips...  Cabela's right now has the Lowrance Elite-4x Chirp Ice Machine on sale for $254.00.  Anyone know anything about this unit?  Will keep an eye on Amazon and ebay.

Jim

Seems like a decent deal, I use the Elite 4 hdi (year older than the chirp) and it works great for ice fishing. Lot of guys here on this site use them so if you do get that one just do a search for how to set it up and what settings to use. Only problem with getting the Lowrance I guess would be that you would probably want to use it and give your kid the Ice-55 :D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.