Author Topic: Another auger question with electric drill  (Read 1263 times)

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
Another auger question with electric drill
« on: Sep 30, 2016, 11:20 AM »
With a Milwaukee M-18 Fuel drill is there any reason a 8" auger off of a model 30 jiffy wouldn't work? Does it have to be coupled with a hand auger drill bit?

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Another auger question with electric drill
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2016, 11:25 AM »
With a Milwaukee M-18 Fuel drill is there any reason a 8" auger off of a model 30 jiffy wouldn't work? Does it have to be coupled with a hand auger drill bit?

I don't see why not, the guys that run those drills say they'll handle anything ..

But much of the benefit of going with the electric drill is weight.. Power auger bits are usually twice as heavy..

You can buy Mora bits like new on Craigslist from $20 - $40 all day...

<°)))>{

Offline BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 2016, 01:43 PM »
I had the various parts you describe, the only flaw I can see is the connection to the drill, and a way to keep from sinking the auger if it comes loose. And that 30 auger is heavy.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 30, 2016, 02:17 PM »
A Jiffy will turn counterclockwise most likely. But, I guess a guy could run the drill in reverse.  Make sure and attach the auger bit to the drill so that it does not have the ability to go down the hole. When using a drill in reverse, the Chuck tends to loosen up very fast at times.

Offline ejdelvo28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 30, 2016, 02:36 PM »
If you were to run the drill in reverse to dig a hole, the chuck would likely loosen before the ice gives way. You'd lose your auger bit down the hole.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Sep 30, 2016, 02:47 PM »
yes these guys are right.jiffy has left hand rotation and your  asking to send that jiffy bit down to Davey jones running the drill in reverse.lol.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #6 on: Sep 30, 2016, 07:14 PM »
Thanks for the replys, I guess the weight is the big thing I didn't think about with the jiffy auger plus I forgot they turn counter clockwise.

Offline flatironfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 30, 2016, 07:48 PM »

I run the same drill with the Clam Plate and an 8" Strikemaster Lazer hand auger.  Works great!  I think you can run one off from a power auger, but you may need a special adapter.  Make sure you keep your batteries warm.  I use a small insulated soft cooler.  Seems to do the trick

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 30, 2016, 07:51 PM »
Short answer......NOT ADVISABLE
Bud

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 30, 2016, 08:05 PM »
I run the same drill with the Clam Plate and an 8" Strikemaster Lazer hand auger.  Works great!  I think you can run one off from a power auger, but you may need a special adapter.  Make sure you keep your batteries warm.  I use a small insulated soft cooler.  Seems to do the trick
.          I have read a lot of posts that say keep the battery "warm"   I leave mine out on the ice in sometimes -15 actual temps for 6-8 hours and have never had a problem with my 4 ah batteries, oh by the way it's a Milwaukee drill.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 30, 2016, 09:15 PM »
i would think that the heavier built power auger head would work the drill to hard and cause it to burn up.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 01, 2016, 08:33 AM »
It not a optimum choice in my opinion. Your going to want 2 nice sharp shaver blades and if i remember correctly that is 1 chipper blade that is also HEAVY. Its $50 for a Mora style and in my mind easily worth the money.  I remember my grandpa telling me "Sometimes just because you CAN do something.... Doesn't mean you should" my 2c. Good luck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 01, 2016, 05:55 PM »
i would think that the heavier built power auger head would work the drill to hard and cause it to burn up.

My Milwaukee is brushless so heat is not an issue.  I love my set up, it works great and I never have to worry if the darn thing will start or not!

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 01, 2016, 06:06 PM »
My Milwaukee is brushless so heat is not an issue.  I love my set up, it works great and I never have to worry if the darn thing will start or not!
My Milwaukee is brushless also and it gets hot putting in deck screws but keeps going. That's the impact driver that came in the kit.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 01, 2016, 10:32 PM »

Turning  hand auger and a heavy power auger bit is a lot different. I have the Milwaukee clam plate setup with a nils, and lazer augers. I also have a jiffy model 30 with an 8in bit. I wouldn't want to try and turn the heavy 8in bit off my jiffy with the drill. The nils,mora shavers, and lazers no problems.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 04, 2016, 08:40 PM »
Turning  hand auger and a heavy power auger bit is a lot different. I have the Milwaukee clam plate setup with a nils, and lazer augers. I also have a jiffy model 30 with an 8in bit. I wouldn't want to try and turn the heavy 8in bit off my jiffy with the drill. The nils,mora shavers, and layers no problems.

Mine turns my 8" Lazer with no problems

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 04, 2016, 10:34 PM »
Mine turns my 8" Lazer with no problems

Yes so does mine. But it's the hand lazer auger bit, not A bit from a gas auger.

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 05, 2016, 04:16 AM »

Although it may turn a power gas bit, it is not advisable as their much heavier and more aggressive for an 18v drill driver.  It will work the electric drill much harder with a higher chance of failure.

Have you ever attempt to turn a gas power lazer auger off a 8" strikemaster Lazer Pro by hand?  Not very easy.  However lazer hand augers or other brand hand augers are no problem for electric drills.  As same with Nils as its also a hand auger first adapted to a Tanaka powerhead.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 06, 2016, 09:19 PM »
Yes so does mine. But it's the hand lazer auger bit, not A bit from a gas auger.

Yes, so is mine.  Sorry for not making that clear initially.   ;D

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 09, 2016, 10:30 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.