Author Topic: Cameras again  (Read 4601 times)

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
Cameras again
« on: Sep 30, 2016, 07:29 AM »
I was set to get a camera when somebody I fished with once said don't waste your money.  The lakes here are too stained and they are not useful.   He was right the other smaller panfish lakes I go to most often in the winter are stained. So i forgot about it.   But heck I fish one lake where i can sight fish at 20 feet so i figured at that lake alone it would be worth it. 

Well, I found a new lake to visit that is closer and the camera is useful (according to two different fisherman who I saw on the lake last week).  They were using the camera on the soft water out of their boat down to 25 feet. Said it is very useful and in winter it is beautiful.   Said they wouldn't catch many fish if they didn't.  They haul in buckets of fish and other fisherman are leaving with one or two.  The key is the camera according to them.  By studying the bite and sucking motions on the camera they can figure out when to set the hook.  One guy had a Marcum 385, not sure they still make it, I see 485's advertised. That camera is very similar to the Aqua vu 715c. I like the 7" screen and am not concerned about the size.  I haul a ton of crap on my sled out onto the ice and one more unit isn't going to matter.  I see some of Marcum's cameras have leakage issues and if it occurs during the first year you are OK with warranty repair.  After that you are screwed.   

Previous I considered the iFish Phone, LX-9 and smaller pocket sized Aqua Vu's and ruled them out.     Which would you get the Marcum 485 or the Aqua Vu 715?   $300-$350 is my price point.

Thanks
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Cameras again
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2016, 07:39 AM »
I've fished with Marcums for years - a lot of success with them.  I can't tell you about Aquaview.  The research I've done, I think Marcum uses higher quality cameras and technology - but the Aquaview is easier on the wallet.  If you can swing it, I'd highly recommend a color camera - it makes a huge difference finding the green weeds and how the fish are relating to them.

Overall though, you will learn a TON about how fish react to baits / jigging - ESPECIALLY when they appear to get lockjaw ;)

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 2016, 07:44 AM »
I'm also looking to get a camera this year, Love to hear the input of what you like /dislike about the models you have :-)
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline crappie55409

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 30, 2016, 08:09 AM »
im ready to pop on a camera and I am also convinced Marcum makes the best cameras on the market but im going to buy the recon 5.  have you seen this model yet?  its new this year.  Much more portable.  You should check it out

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 30, 2016, 08:23 AM »
im ready to pop on a camera and I am also convinced Marcum makes the best cameras on the market but im going to buy the recon 5.  have you seen this model yet?  its new this year.  Much more portable.  You should check it out

I wasn't hip on the battery system. i think I would like using the same type of battery as my HB depthfinder, a plain old 12volt  7amp hour battery.  Heavy but having everything use the same batteries is a plus, including the LED lights in my shelter, phone charger, etc.  I do like it better than the similar AquaVu's.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 30, 2016, 08:26 AM »
I fish Iowa alot and cameras are very useful in most lakes like IGL, 3mile, 12mile, little river, green valley, and many quality ponds. I started out with an old school aqua view and a few years later got a fish tv7". I now have a Aqua view 5c handheld that i picked up last spring on sale that im excited to get out on the ice and try. I went compact to cut down my weight and shack space some.

Offline crappie55409

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 30, 2016, 08:36 AM »
I wasn't hip on the battery system. i think I would like using the same type of battery as my HB depthfinder, a plain old 12volt  7amp hour battery.  Heavy but having everything use the same batteries is a plus, including the LED lights in my shelter, phone charger, etc.  I do like it better than the similar AquaVu's.

what kind of battery system does the recon 5 use? 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Sep 30, 2016, 09:12 AM »
what kind of battery system does the recon 5 use?

Self contained Lithium ion battery

I have two AV Micros ...Micro plus and Micro 5 both w/DVR ...love them for scouting ...both are color ..but it depends on light penetration and water clarity .I had an old AV DT years ago ...bulky and didn't get much use as time went on and couldn't find a way to record . The Micros benefits ..small /light weight..self contained battery..IR lights ...zoom.. the 1/4  20 screw hole is great ..attach mine to a Jaws GoPro mount ...so I can clamp it anywhere ..my huts hoop pole ..atop my Vexilar ..my bucket etc ..AV charging cable also has incorporated a video out plug to hook to a larger monitor ..the DVR is a nice add on... can learn a lot about fish behavior .Marcum Recon will give Aqua Vu Micros some competition...good luck with your search .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #8 on: Sep 30, 2016, 09:14 AM »
the main difference i would say is how you use it makes a big difference in what you may want, but you can have both systems.
first the compact systems are great if you want to go around and scout out holes already made to find what you are looking for. they stow away in your coat pocket and are fast to deploy and fast to wrap up and take little space and the camera is tiny. you have to try to make a mount if you want to fish with it tho. the screen size is small also and the battery life is less time.
the full sized cams are hands free as far as the monitor goes and long battery life, but to fish with either, you have to have a cable hold/steer device. the worst part about that is changing depths. these devices are limited to say the least and i think only three to choose from. so holding the cable and moving it up and down and twisting it is how you first use it and then set it on the tripod/panner of choice if you plan to fish with it.

night time fishing or scouting with lights on will attract plankton and cloud out your vision, but that's an okay thing to have too because fish want to be in it. some states i hear is illegal to have lights to attract fish, but the camera would be a work around for that law?

the next issue is do you want one unit to bring or two. some systems have sonar and camera in one unit like the marcum lx9 and marcum rt9. i do like the lx9 and have both sonar and the camera displaying at the same time. the sonar is on top of the camera and the camera is like a living wall paper. you can switch it up and have all camera or all sonar showing or even split screen (half and half).

i may buy the recon next so i have both options. sonar alone doesn't show vegetation or structure when looking for areas fish may come into. so making holes and dropping a sonar only shows if fish are there at that moment and you move on if not. knowing whats on the bottom is helpful in finding where they should be or might want to be and it would show fish if they are there.

stained water does limit the amount of light that gets to the objects you are trying to see like a filter. so cameras need light to see just like we do. the lower the light, the less we see. the older we get the harder it is to see also as the eye muscles start to harden at around age 45.
the deeper the the camera is, the less light will get to it in any body of water. shallow water fishing is where i fish for pans anyway, so only plankton are in the way of the camera at night, but i have seen them bite in the plankton in the dark on the camera. even with limited sight, it's still fun to see! reacting to the camera instead of the feel is weird to adjust to also. you'll tend to want to set the hook too soon watching the camera.
the lights between aqua-vu and marcum are the major difference too. aqua-vu uses olnly IR led while marcum all in one and older than recon uses bright white led. now the recon has both and is the first to do this.
so these cameras want you to turn off the color option in low light and go black and white to better see objects, just so you know these things before hand.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 30, 2016, 11:20 AM »
my little ovs 300 seems to have bit the dust. I had to pry it open (no screws on the case) to get a look. The board is covered with solder spots on bottom but not that much stuff on the top side. Might be a salvage project now as I may have went to far to get it all back together.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Sep 30, 2016, 02:18 PM »
I see Aqua-Vu is releasing some new cameras this Fall. Higher resolution screens and cameras.  Mo Money...

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2016, 05:21 PM »
I am a camera guy. I've used Aquaview, Vexilar and Cabelas brand. All were very good. If I was to purchase a camera new, I would not hesitate on Awuaview. Very useful tool when wondering why the fish won't bite.
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #12 on: Sep 30, 2016, 05:42 PM »
Even in heavily stained water (N WI flowages) I can still see 6 - 8 feet from where the camera is at. They are priceless for scoping new territory and for watching fish activity around your lures.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 04, 2016, 08:17 AM »
The camera panning device is somewhat universal, is there one that works better than others?     I ordered the Aqua Vu 715 camera.   I haven't ordered a panner yet.  Looked at the Mo-Pod but there are others too...Any suggestions on these?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #14 on: Oct 04, 2016, 08:47 AM »
marcum makes two and are tougher from what i hear about the mopod's hook that breaks some what easily and is hard to repair.
the marcums are low to the ground and not a standing tripod like the mopod. theirs is like a folding Y and one is wired and is wireless.
mine wired version came free with a lx7 to lx9 upgrade. the battery compartment seems low end with tiny screws that could be stripped and rust easily too.

like i said before, the panner is the weak spot on any cameras. some have made them from pvc. i think smitty made one with a tennis ball and wood and pvc.

Offline joemx1825

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 04, 2016, 09:52 AM »
Marcum's camera panner is by far the best available (is it perfect? no..)

I've yet to read a review for the wireless panner model (I have the corded model), I'd really like to reduce another cord if possible...

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #16 on: Oct 04, 2016, 10:00 AM »
I have a MoPod and a wired Marcum panner. The Marcum has never been used. The MoPod is about ten years old with no problem with the cable hook.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Oct 04, 2016, 11:24 AM »
I have an older MoPod ...works well. I even have the Ice Pod..which also works well don't use the much now as I sold my AV DT and now have AV Micros

http://www.aquavu.com/Products/AV-LCD-Series-AV710-A715c-AV360LCD-AV740c-AV760c-AV760cz_2/Ice-Pod
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Fedexguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Oct 04, 2016, 12:06 PM »
I too am going to make the jump to the under ice world. Leaning towards the Marcum RECON (new this year). Nothing to base my decision on yet. I do like the price of Aquaview and I believe they are a solid product. I'm partial to Marcum as they have proven their product to me by the flashers I've owned. Still plenty of time to decide, SIGH.....
I love big honkers! Giant Canadian etc...

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Oct 04, 2016, 12:46 PM »
I too am going to make the jump to the under ice world. Leaning towards the Marcum RECON (new this year). Nothing to base my decision on yet. I do like the price of Aquaview and I believe they are a solid product. I'm partial to Marcum as they have proven their product to me by the flashers I've owned. Still plenty of time to decide, SIGH.....

Marcum use to have some rebates on their flashers before the holidays think $20-$50 depending on model ...some nice videos on the Recons on YouTube. I like that they come with a case/bag. AV used to give a rebate for a case but don't think they are doing that this year . I love my Micros.

Offline Flagging

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Oct 13, 2016, 10:13 PM »
FWIW...I see that AV does have out a rebate for a free case/charger listed with the Micros and a free Mo Pod with the higher level 7's....Micros(http://www.aquavu.com/MicroUS-01-WEB.pdf) 7 series( http://www.aquavu.com/LCD-FORM-01-WEB_2.pdf)

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: Oct 14, 2016, 07:27 PM »
I use my Marcum everytime I go out.  For me, it is every bit as useful as sonar when scouting new ground.  But, like any other tool out there- it's how you use it which matters most.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline prosty41

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Oct 14, 2016, 07:55 PM »
I got the lx7 last year and I never want to fish without it. After getting used to the sonar, I feel no need to fish with a camera. However,  I really want a camera to scout structure. I'd like to pick up the recon. What the difference in the recon and recon plus?

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Oct 14, 2016, 08:22 PM »
I have had 4 aqua views and each one had leaky cameras. I finally bought the Marcum camera and have had no problems and I am going on about 6 years.

I still use my LX5 100 percent of the time but when I can't figure out what the problem is I put the camera down and in most cases the problem is solved.

WS

Offline Big Lefty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Oct 14, 2016, 10:08 PM »
Does anyone use a panner with any of the smaller cams? 

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Oct 15, 2016, 10:57 AM »
Does anyone use a panner with any of the smaller cams?

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Oct 15, 2016, 11:45 AM »
I got the lx7 last year and I never want to fish without it. After getting used to the sonar, I feel no need to fish with a camera. However,  I really want a camera to scout structure. I'd like to pick up the recon. What the difference in the recon and recon plus?

Recon plus has a built in DVR. You can take videos and pictures.

Offline Big Lefty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Oct 15, 2016, 12:47 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.