The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: NILS or K-Drill  (Read 13453 times)

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
NILS or K-Drill
« on: Sep 30, 2016, 06:59 AM »
Ok, I purchased a M18 Fuel drill, so now I need to get an auger.  So, which ice auger will be best for reopening holes and overall drilling in all thickness of ice?

The 8" NILS or the 8" K-Drill?
Also, since I am not familiar with Clam Plates, is there only one version that works with all augers?

Any practical experience/advice would be appreciated.

d1

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: NILS or K-Drill
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2016, 07:09 AM »

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 2016, 07:41 AM »
There are essentially only two versions of the clam plate. One requires the removal of the chuck and the other does not. You will need an adapter which ever way you go. I have never used a Nils or K-drill but, from all that i have read, i believe they are both very premium augers. I use the Strikemaster Mora because blades are cheap and easily found. The search window should be a great resource for which ever way you choose to go.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 30, 2016, 07:45 AM »
^ Same reasons why I run a Mora too.. Plus I can sharpen them too.. Extra blades for the Mora, or K drill fit in a jig box.. Extra head for a Nills needs its own box..

<°)))>{

luv2fish2

« Reply #4 on: Sep 30, 2016, 07:46 AM »
i got a k drill 8" i love it running a milwaukee 750in 2604 drill and clam plate , i like so much i'm thinking of selling my gas auger plus vexilar is great to deal with for sharpening or parts i bought an extra set of blades which i haven't used yet to swap out when i send them in to sharpen  (28.95) and it's superlite  my 2 cents

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #5 on: Sep 30, 2016, 07:56 AM »
I plan on buying the K drill kind of like my jiffy bear claw ripper blade that cuts through anything and rarely needs sharpening. I just can't make up my mind on the 6" or 8"? I am used to a 8" with my old jiffy mod 30. I hear many guys are perfectly happy with a 6" I'm just not sure if I will like a 6"? I know a 6" will give more battery life that is the trade off.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 30, 2016, 08:19 AM »
I have the 1200 ip M18. (2704-22 kit)  I use with the 8" K-Drill.  Feather light and cuts great.  I understand from everything I've read here that the Nils is also a top of the line auger.  While the K-Drill has one con of the initial high price, the replacement blades are very cheap and sharpening is free for life.  I bought a spare set of blades when I bought the auger.  Not so much for the Nils.  The weight advantage of the K-Drill was also very important to me as I have a hip disorder that makes carrying heavy things very painful.  I have yet to drill enough holes to go through one battery drilling holes, let alone two with this combo.

Important Note:  Everyone shopping the K-Drill needs to know that an 8" K-Drill actually measures only 7 1/2", and likewise with the 6" being only 5 1/2".   This is why I opted for the 1200 ip drill and larger auger.

Mark
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #7 on: Sep 30, 2016, 08:23 AM »
The same reason I am going electric drill and auger, I will be 60 in March and my body and shoulders just can't take dragging around my old jiffy model 30 anymore.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 30, 2016, 12:17 PM »
i used both last year for a trip or two.  i bought a kdrill this year.    we also have a strikelite 4stroke. 

Offline wwhite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Sep 30, 2016, 12:52 PM »
I have had the chance to use a K-drill (8"), Nils (6") and Strikemaster (6").

K Drill was mounted to a Honda 4 stroke, lightest gas auger I've ever used with no binding upon break through.

Nils was mounted straight up to a drill (no plate).  Cut fast and smooth.  Unfortunately, the drill had no extra handle on it and jacked up my wrist.  It still isn't right.

The Strikemaster mounted on a clam plate is super light, cut faster than the gas auger, but not by much.  It was quite a bit shorter too than either of the other two.

Please, please, please mount the darn thing on a plate, whichever you pick.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 30, 2016, 01:20 PM »
Ok, I purchased a M18 Fuel drill, so now I need to get an auger.  So, which ice auger will be best for reopening holes and overall drilling in all thickness of ice?

The 8" NILS or the 8" K-Drill?
Also, since I am not familiar with Clam Plates, is there only one version that works with all augers?

Any practical experience/advice would be appreciated.

d1
That's a tough one. I sure read nice things about that K-Drill. Starting from jump, I'd probably go the K-Drill route mostly because of the light weight and blade friendliness. I already own an 8" Blue Nils which cuts superbly so I'll probably hook it to a 1200# Fuel with a Kovac adaptor and be content. We old birds need to be very conscious of how much weight we're dragging out there so I'm glad for these new setups.
Stinky
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2016, 01:34 PM »
Aren't k-drills quite a bit more expensive than a nils though? I don't ever think that I've seen a K-drill go on sale!

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 30, 2016, 02:26 PM »
I like the K-Drill for opening old holes, because of the cast aluminum head.  I use a 6" going on third season and blades are as sharp as when it was new.
Bud

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 30, 2016, 03:08 PM »
Aren't k-drills quite a bit more expensive than a nils though? I don't ever think that I've seen a K-drill go on sale!

If you buy the either one at 8" with an extra set of blades, I'm pretty sure they are about the same price...

<°)))>{

Offline Panfisher78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Sep 30, 2016, 03:16 PM »
I've got the M18 and K Drill 6" and love it!

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #15 on: Sep 30, 2016, 03:24 PM »
I plan on buying the K drill kind of like my jiffy bear claw ripper blade that cuts through anything and rarely needs sharpening. I just can't make up my mind on the 6" or 8"? I am used to a 8" with my old jiffy mod 30. I hear many guys are perfectly happy with a 6" I'm just not sure if I will like a 6"? I know a 6" will give more battery life that is the trade off.

I used the 6" all season last winter and it rocks. I haven't pulled anything huge through the holes, but I've seen others bring some nice pike through 6 inch holes. I get about 25-30 holes through a foot or so of ice per battery and I have 3 batteries. No worries at all about running out of power.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

I should add that my gas auger is the old SM 224 with 4 lazer blades and my K-drill cuts just as fast.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline waterwhipper

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Sep 30, 2016, 03:25 PM »
Both are great options however the true hole on a K-Drill is 7 1/2 inches and  5 3/4 inches . The Nils are true to size. Both do the job very well. The Nils does have an advantage over the K-Drill in the fact if your Drill or battery take a dump you can still use the Nils with a hand crank and it is impossible to hand crank a K-Drill.

Offline djlangen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Sep 30, 2016, 03:28 PM »
I just bought a 6" K-drill at the beginning of the month. I was debating between Nils and K-drill before deciding on the latter for all the reasons mentioned above.

Offline lovin life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Sep 30, 2016, 07:28 PM »
Im pairing a Nils 6", on a Clam plate, with a Milwalkee Fuel 18v 5AH battery, for scouting.  Like butta boys, like butta !  Can't wait !!!!!

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Oct 01, 2016, 05:08 PM »
I appreciate all the advice.  I purchased the following:

Milwaukee M18 Fuel 2704-22
8" K-Drill
Clam Drill Plate 9935
Vexilar Adapter for Clam plate

I am looking forward to receiving the setup and the eventual hard water.

Thanks again.
d1

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 01, 2016, 05:18 PM »
Excellent choices. ;D  Exactly what I use. ;)
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 01, 2016, 06:10 PM »

8" K-Drill
Clam Drill Plate 9935

Thanks again.
d1

Big congrats man, that thing should be killer, lightweight, and bulletproof too..

<°)))>{

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #22 on: Oct 01, 2016, 10:48 PM »

8" K-Drill
Clam Drill Plate 9935

Thanks again.
d1

You should be really happy with that setup. I almost bought the 8in k drill myself too. Running the 8in nils now and it's worked really well.

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 15, 2016, 07:47 AM »

8" K-Drill
Clam Drill Plate 9935

Thanks again.
d1

Ok, so I finally got everything assembled and tested it out.  I had a concern.  How much clutch noise from the drill is expected?  I operate the M18 (with K-Drill attached) and release the trigger from high RPM (setting at 1 on Drill) and the clutch makes a ratcheting sound.  Is this normal?  Should I expect this because there is no friction being applied unlike when you drill through the ice?

Thoughts?
d1

Offline frmboybuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Nov 15, 2016, 08:02 AM »
What are your settings on the drill? Should be in the drill mode (not driver or hammer.).Transmission should be in 1. You may not be hearing the clutch, but the brake in the drill

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 15, 2016, 08:21 AM »
Sounds like you may have it in the screw mode rather than drill mode. I like to ease off the trigger when I'm testing it without a load. Most quality drills have a internal brake safety feature which was never really designed to bring a 8" ice auger to a dead stop. I have noticed a noise thats more of a clunk that I never hear when the drill is actually drilling ice under a load.

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 15, 2016, 08:31 AM »
What are your settings on the drill? Should be in the drill mode (not driver or hammer.).Transmission should be in 1. You may not be hearing the clutch, but the brake in the drill

Speed selector set to 1.  Torque selector set to 24.  It is placed in "drill" mode.  I am not familiar with how the brake works in a drill...

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 15, 2016, 08:35 AM »
Sounds like you may have it in the screw mode rather than drill mode. I like to ease off the trigger when I'm testing it without a load. Most quality drills have a internal brake safety feature which was never really designed to bring a 8" ice auger to a dead stop. I have noticed a noise thats more of a clunk that I never hear when the drill is actually drilling ice under a load.

I have the drill in drill mode.  When I slowly release the drill trigger, it lessens the noise that I hear.  What you are indicating makes sense.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 15, 2016, 07:06 PM »
Just got my 2704-22 today.  The 8" kdrill should be here next week.

I'm really looking forward to using a super light auger.
Don

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 15, 2016, 07:56 PM »
I'm really looking forward to using a super light auger.

A super light auger with sharp blades is actually fun to run around with...

Congrats!

<°)))>{

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.