Author Topic: whats the biggest item you've forgot to bring for an ice fishing  (Read 3040 times)

Offline AZbassernCO

• Team IceShanty Regular
got everything ready the night before trailer hooked up atv strapped down for a trip to granby got to the lake the next morning started the atv gas tank said empty  damit loaded everything back up drove to gas station had to wait 2 hours for it to open

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Why take the key out?

Because the keys to the rod lockers and other compartments on the boat are on the same ring.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

sunniewally

worst I had was leaving my fl8 in a pail by my drive way only to come back to find the pail there but no depthfinder. I live on a busy street! :%$#!:

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict

Another time I forgot toilet paper. left to fish wearing a long sleeve shirt came back with a muscle shirt.

LOL, I did that a few times when hunting in AZ, just cut the forearms off each sleeve.    I am new to ice fishing and have not laid a deuce on the ice yet....
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Why take the key out?

My buddy that i fish most with foregets the keys often. I constantly am asking him why he takes the key out. " I don't want my boat to get stolen". I cant tell you the arguments we've had over the FACT that anyone who wants to steal your boat is stealing it regardless of keys in the ignition.

As for the op, I once forgot my gloves, hats, and facemask and goggles. Yes goggles. It was 4 degrees with 25 mph winds. I wasn't to bad on the way out or while in the shanty but after the walk in i swear my eye balls had frostbite.

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
Loving the stories guys, keep em coming :-)
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
LOL, I did that a few times when hunting in AZ, just cut the forearms off each sleeve.    I am new to ice fishing and have not laid a deuce on the ice yet....
]

when the time comes that you do, and it will come do it in a hole, cover the hole with slush, and then mark the hole with a stick or something so people dont walk into it. I cant stand seeing a pile on the ice its disgusting.

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Why take the key out?
Force of habit and I am sure that I could just leave then in but the same key ring also has the keys to other compartments which I keep locked and something about driving 70 mph on the highway and leaving the keys inches from the side of the boat makes me nervous.

Offline Cbass123

• Team IceShanty Regular
Because I hardly ever buy minnows, I've left my intended bucket for the day behind a couple times now...
<°)))>{

I do this almost every time I use minnows, and end up buying a new bait bucket.  I probably have half a dozen now.

Offline bshirtd

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jacket a few times but usually I don't wear it anyways. Auger twice once in the truck (3/4 of a mile walk away) once at home(a kind gentleman cut my holes for the day I've paid it forward many times over). The worst was I left the vex on a charger at home I was easy 1.5 hrs away heading to prefish a tournament for that weekend so upset I missed the first light bight but still took 3rd.
its a footrace to the hole

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
I have forgotten everything at least once. Not a shack but everything else. I bought a new Vexilar couple years ago when I forgot to bring one. My wife was curious as to why anyone would need three. I told her that if she was really worried about money then she wouldn't have had kids, plus you can always sell a Vex.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Got all the way to a pretty desolate area . Had my gas auger and forgot the gas !! Of course the tank on the auger was empty . Had to walk a mil or so to truck and about 20 more to a gas station .
That day sucked 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
I have forgotten everything at least once. Not a shack but everything else. I bought a new Vexilar couple years ago when I forgot to bring one. My wife was curious as to why anyone would need three. I told her that if she was really worried about money then she wouldn't have had kids, plus you can always sell a Vex.

Yeah, well you can always sell one of the kids too but most folks don't look too kindly on that...... >:D ;)2
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Beerslushy

• Team IceShanty Regular
I forgot gas for my auger once too.  Luckily another fishermen was kind enough to let me borrow his.  Since then  I always let people borrow my auger if I see them having problems.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I do this almost every time I use minnows, and end up buying a new bait bucket.  I probably have half a dozen now.

I forgot to mention that I hardly ever buy my minnows because I keep them alive at my place.. So I left my minnow bucket with the bait in it at home.. But that's exactly how I've gotten at least three of those little styrofoam (cheapest ones in the shop) buckets..lol

<°)))>{

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
The biggest thing my fishing buddy "forgot" was his wife....... Now she's a big ol' girl so you got to be careful when the ice is thin.  Haha hahahaha
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline coyotebc

• IceShanty Rookie
Once I drove 4 1/2 hours for a weekend fishing trip, and when I got there I realized that I left my rod at home.
my wife's uncle had a spare, but more than 15 years latter I still hear about it

Offline Autowrench

• IceShanty Rookie
Forgot to disconnect my hut from the 4wheeler.   Took off with the hut fully setup and everything inside went flying all over the place.  Luckily for my buddy he had stepped out for a smoke. 

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I forgot gas for my auger once too.  Luckily another fishermen was kind enough to let me borrow his.  Since then  I always let people borrow my auger if I see them having problems.

do you normally go through more then a tank of gas for your auger???  ??? ??? ???

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I like to wear my Nike's on the way to fishing so my feet don't get all sweaty. I once forgot to throw my  boots in the truck, I was an hour and a half away from home. I had to go home, it was too cold and too wet...

Offline pikeinator

• IceShanty Rookie
The very first time I went ice fishing.  Got all sorts of new gear.  Packed it on the new sled and went out on the ice with my son who was about 8 or nine years old.  As I'm setting up my very first tipup, I realize I left my license home.  No sooner did I realize this when I hear a guy behind me say "How's it goin boys!"   It was a fish and wildlife officer!  He never asked for the license.  Said good luck and left.
  ;D

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
Wasn't something I necessarily forgot, but "forgot" to do....was getting ready to head out on the ice the night before, hooked up the battery charger to my marcum and went to bed. Woke up the next morning got everything ready, unhooked the marcum (without paying attention) threw it in my truck and headed out. Got my set up done holes drilled, put the transducer in the hole turn it on nothing......

Never plugged the charger into the outlet.....first and last time I made that mistake...hard to believe I used to fish without a flasher and now I feel like I can't get a line wet without it :tipup:

Offline Evinrude58

• Team IceShanty Regular
Have never forgot any gear but one time I did forget to pick up my fishing buddy. Got distracted and went to the lake and got my gear out then remembered I was suppose to pick him up. Luckily he only lives about 10 minutes from the lake.

Offline milehighfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
2 hour drive to a new lake to fish... forgot jacket, -10 outside, had to setup the popup really quick and get the heater going.

Didn't move from that spot the whole day.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Brought the auger...forgot the sled packed with all the rest of my gear at home!

Offline Lukaszu

• Team IceShanty Regular
My flasher battery... 2 1/2 hour drive.

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Got off work early on afternoon and drove out to the lake and noticed as I was unloading all my gear I had left my bucket back in the garage.  In said bucket were all my rods.  ARGGGHHH!!!  Luckily it was only a 15 minute drive back but I did feel pretty stupid that afternoon.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
The power auger.

Offline drscholl14

• IceShanty Rookie
Flasher.  Fishing blind is so hard!!!!  Can't imagine doing it before they were available.

Offline waterwhipper

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
We were doing a news story with one of the morning shows for a local TV station after doing the filming in the shop at 1 am we headed out to 11-mile to do the on ice part of the show.  1 1/2 hour trip one way. We got to the lake and started unloading when the camera man said he left the camera back at the shop.Needles to say by the time he got back the big fish stopped biting and all we could get on camera we some small snot rockets. Luckily they were able to use some of our footage from our go pros and the morning show turned out great.With a lot of editing. BTW the reporter for Fox 21 in the springs lost his man card because he would not in anyway touch a fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.