Author Topic: 8" vs. 9" drill  (Read 321 times)

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
8" vs. 9" drill
« on: Sep 28, 2016, 10:09 PM »
I have a 2 h.p. Jiffy model 76 with a 9" blade.  I bought it back when I thought a 9" hole had to be superior to anything smaller.  Now I wonder if I should have opted for the 8" drill.  Would the smaller bit have any noticeable increase in drilling performance or the life span of the powerhead.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 8" vs. 9" drill
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2016, 10:26 PM »
The clutch and gearbox gets most of the abuse from the larger drill. The 8" will be a little easier. I have the 9" and 6" drills for mine, the 6" is obviously faster and easier to pop a hole with. Depends what time of fishing you do. When the ice gets thick and there are larger fish around the 9" is nice. One thing I do like about the 9" is I can open or even drill out 8"holes cleanly with it.

Offline Tbone9

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2016, 11:29 PM »
I miss my 9" auger. It just seemed a little easier to turn a fish to come up the hole. And it was no big deal if the edges of the hole froze, still had plenty of room.
Always trying to catch those light bitin lethargic sons of fishes.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Sep 30, 2016, 02:13 PM »
I would go with the 8" because it's very common and getting replacement blades would be a lot easier especially at the local Mom and Pop shops.  Beyond that I don't see any major advantage to having a hole one inch bigger.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.