Author Topic: Thoughts on the Eskimo quick fish 3?  (Read 2546 times)

Offline Sniper18leafs

• IceShanty Rookie
Thoughts on the Eskimo quick fish 3?
« on: Sep 28, 2016, 03:55 PM »
Hello everyone!
On a hunt for a new ice shelter and I am leaning towards the quickfish 3

Any info or thoughts would be helpful :)

Thank ya

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Thoughts on the Eskimo quick fish 3?
« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2016, 04:13 PM »
 I used to own one. Good little shelter. I would however spend my money on A 949 I or an otter. Lots of guys will tell you to go with polar bird as well. Insulation is very nice when you are running your heater on a cold day,  because of condensation or the lack there of.  To me, most hub shelters pretty much pack the same as far as ease of use. With that said, if you can afford it, why not go big? I am using an Otter resort.  Still fits in my car just like a quick fish three did, only way bigger when set up on the ice.

Offline gonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2016, 04:36 PM »
I would agree that if you can afford it go thermal all the way.  I have a Clam XL4000t and my buddy has an Eskimo 949I.  Both very high quality fishhouses.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2016, 05:55 PM »
I own both the Quickfish 3 & 3i here (downsized from the fatfish949i to reduce weight). Better suited for 1-2 people if you ask me, alot of room for one person, but starts to get a little cramped with 2 people on camp chairs,  3 people all sitting on buckets is probably doable but alot more cramped. Only things I disliked about it was the bag for the 3 was a bit small, the 3i bag was alot better. I got rid of the tie down ropes they came with and added nylon rope and carabiners instead,  just wanted thicker ropes that won't hold water and freeze as easily.

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 28, 2016, 05:57 PM »
I also agree with bigger 949I or equivalent from other suppliers. I have the 949I, 3 fish with reasonable comfort. 4 does not work. Need room for gear heater etc. The quickfish 3 will fit 2, but not 3 with gear. If you go with the 3I, your spending about $320. Another $50 and you can get the 941I. Buddy has a Clam 6 Pack. 4 is comfortable.
I also added a floor to mine 2 sheets of 1/8" hardboard each cut in half and hinged. Unfolds to 8 x 8. Made a world of difference in keeping everything dry and much warmer, total cost about $25.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 28, 2016, 06:48 PM »
 Nice idea on the floor.  Piano hinges?

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2016, 07:09 PM »
I have the QF3I and yea 2 people can fish in it but 3 would be a stretch. I've seen the QF3 and I'll admit it is nice to have the insulated model but the QF3 is lighter and takes up less room. Keep in mind that non-insulated pop ups tend to drip if you use a heater.
It must be something in the water.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 28, 2016, 09:36 PM »
I own one, they are a darn nice shack for the money. Mine is not insulated and i have a floor that doubles up as a sled when folded over, It keeps nice and toasty with a buddy heater. The condensation can be an issue at times but it is a very capable shack for 2 guys.

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 29, 2016, 07:01 AM »
I read a post here regarding insulated pop ups' and the problem the poster had with the interior getting wet, causing the insulation to retain water, making the tent very heavy and hard to dry out and that the poster would not buy another insulated shelter because of that issue.  Anyone else have that problem.  Looking for a new shelter but don't want to buy something I'll regret.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 29, 2016, 07:32 AM »
I've always sprayed ours with a waterproofer to prevent that problem. Drying them out is the same insulated or not, just set them up with a fan and let it dry. If you are out in a rain storm I'm sure it will pick up water, and they are a little heavier but well worth the extra weight. Depends how you fish, if you need the insulated one.
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Sep 29, 2016, 07:52 AM »
I have a QF2. I love it for myself. No way 2 guys will fit with gear. As far as insulated vs uninsulated goes, I have uninsulated. If you use the vents, it doesn't get so wet. And the material doesn't absorb the condensation. So by the time I get back to the cabin, and the condensation has frozen and all I do is give it a good shaking. The frost falls right off and most of the moisture is gone. Ready for the next day.

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 29, 2016, 08:00 AM »
I read a post here regarding insulated pop ups' and the problem the poster had with the interior getting wet, causing the insulation to retain water, making the tent very heavy and hard to dry out and that the poster would not buy another insulated shelter because of that issue.  Anyone else have that problem.  Looking for a new shelter but don't want to buy something I'll regret.

Interior gets wet because non-vented propane heaters produce about 1 pint of moisture per hour at 20,000 BTU i.e. Mr heaters. Some newer hubs have gone to 600+ denier poly with an additional sheet inside the hub to reduce moisture on the material. Another solution is to treat the inside with tent water seal. In warmer areas like up state NY 20+ deg. The inside is damp and you can wipe much of the water off with a towel. In cooler temps we see in MN -25 to -35 deg. The inside is frost where most of it falls off when I hit the roof and sides.

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Sep 29, 2016, 07:40 PM »
Nice idea on the floor.  Piano hinges?

Yes, three 48” piano hinges. I cut 8 holes, 2 per corner. When fishing 3 one of the 2 holes by the door we drill down 4 to 5 inches and used as a cooler to keep fish cool verses frozen on the ice.

Folded and Open showing 8 holes. Corners cut to allow ice anchors for the hub.

On Ice without floor on left very wet and very slick melted ice, with floor on right  we had it in the Eskimo 9416 covering 2/3 of the area. Covers the full 8 x 8 949i footprint. You can see one of the hinges at my granddaughter's feet sitting on the floor.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Sep 29, 2016, 09:34 PM »
I have the 3I and love it. I will say with folding camp chairs with arms, a FF, buddy heater, and 8" holes, 2 guys is the max. I'm sure it we went to tripod chairs we could do 3 but it would be tight. The head room is my favorite part I love being able to stand up.  The doors are big and the zippers work well, it's a breeze to set up or take down, and the eskimo anchors are super easy to use. The little buddy heater is enough that i don't need a jacket most of the time. I use  tip-ups as well as jig so condensation was never really a problem as we are usually in and out. Lack of storage options is my only real complaint, I see how nice some guys have their flip overs with shelves and rod holders and organization and there isn't really any of that for the hub style.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 29, 2016, 10:54 PM »
Clam makes shelves for hub shelters that work great. I held off buying them for a few years and finally did. After I had one in my shack, on the way home, I bought another set as well. Good product.

Offline JKaboom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Sep 30, 2016, 12:59 AM »
I won the QF3 about 4 years ago and love it.  Condensation can be a little bit of an issue but not too bad; keep in mind however I am in CO and it's pretty dry here so your experience could be different.  What I like is that I run a jet sled jr, QF3, ION, 2-5 gal. buckets, and a couple tackle bags and it's light and fast.  My buddy and I have good room and keep the sled behind us in my shelter.  The ION stays outside with a cover on the head and the battery stays with me.  I know you didn't ask about the whole rig but my point is that the QF3 is light and pretty compact. 

Whatever you end up getting share your experience as I like to hear about what others use. 

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Sep 30, 2016, 08:39 AM »
My thanks to those who responded to my question concerning insulation absorbing water.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Sep 30, 2016, 09:10 AM »
I have a 3i, used more as a HQ than a fishing hut. With gear and heater fits 3 comfrotably. Definitely an advantage to have the insulation

Offline BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Sep 30, 2016, 01:50 PM »
I have the QF3 and its great, we have had 3 guys in it easy, I am looking to go to the 949i as I like nightfishing and insulated is the better choice. The QF3 handled -25 windchill easy, to keep from sweating moisture open a door or window a smidge.

The floor is neat but we get a lot of snow on the ice here, and that plywood would be a floating raft.

Im selling the QF3 soon to upgrade, well worth the money.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.