Author Topic: which model Milwaukee Fuel  (Read 6521 times)

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
which model Milwaukee Fuel
« on: Sep 28, 2016, 12:28 PM »
So, snooping around at either a Dewalt 20v max 996 or a milwaukee fuel m18. Question is, there are many different models of the m18 so which have most guys been going with? I once read to use one with 1,200 ft/lbs but there are about 3 different models that i am seeing. thanks. After finding this out will decide whether to go with dewalt or milwaukee.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: which model Milwaukee Fuel
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2016, 12:34 PM »
2704-22  That's what I got.  Case, drill, two batteries and charger.
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2016, 12:39 PM »
I'm trying to get wise on that topic also. Home Depot has a "special buy" on the 750# torque model with charger and 3 batteries at $279 delivered. It's on their website. Unless I read otherwise, that's probably the one I'll jump on.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2016, 12:49 PM »
I'm trying to get wise on that topic also. Home Depot has a "special buy" on the 750# torque model with charger and 3 batteries at $279 delivered. It's on their website. Unless I read otherwise, that's probably the one I'll jump on.

Spend $20 more to get the HAMMER drill. You dont use the HAMMER mode to drill ice but the theory is that the HAMMER drill is more robust than the NON-HAMMER drill.

hAMMER DRILL IS $299. Non- hammer is $279
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline IcePirateJace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2016, 01:48 PM »
There is a newer Fuel that has 1200 lbs of Torque. I would suggest getting as much as possible, that way the drill will be under less stress when cutting through thick ice and therefore should last longer. That said I have the 750 one and it seems to do a very good job with my 6" bit.  Not the biggest tools guy so I don't know all the sites to look at here but we have an acmetools here and right now they have a free extra battery with certain M18 packs.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #5 on: Sep 28, 2016, 01:48 PM »
Not true all you need is the Milwaukee 1/2" M18 #2703-22   1200 inch Lbs of torque, you don't need the hammer drill unless you plan on drilling concrete. It is the exact same drill but without the hammer feature.

Offline BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 28, 2016, 01:49 PM »
Last year I bought through one of the electrical supply houses a M18 1200 hammerdrill for $299 box drill (2) 5amh batteries, and they have a deal with Milwaukee to do a tradein on any namebrand drill, DeWalt, Makita, etc 14v or higher and you get $100 bucks off. Graybar Electric, NETool, a bunch of places. I had a dead 14v dewalt, They took it no questions. Get you some of that goodness.

This is last years flyer, but most do it every year
https://www.fastenal.com/content/documents/2015/02/M18-Tradein.pdf

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2016, 02:15 PM »
There is a newer Fuel that has 1200 lbs of Torque. I would suggest getting as much as possible, that way the drill will be under less stress when cutting through thick ice and therefore should last longer. That said I have the 750 one and it seems to do a very good job with my 6" bit.  Not the biggest tools guy so I don't know all the sites to look at here but we have an acmetools here and right now they have a free extra battery with certain M18 packs.
Great tip! I see that Ohio Power Tool and probably many others has the Fuel Gen 2 drill packs with 1200# torque at the same price the Home Depot uses for the last years 750# job. Hammer drill 20 bucks more. That kind of torque should make drilling with my 8" Nils a piece of cake.
Addendum:
Northern Tool has the Gen2 Fuel drill at $279 delivered. I think that's about as good a deal as there is out there.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #8 on: Sep 28, 2016, 02:52 PM »
I saw a video comparison of the gen 2 vs the gen 1 and for battery life doing our kind of drilling ice the gen 1 was better, longer battery life, the gen 2 did drill more holes in concrete with a small dia bit. The gen 2 is a little bit smaller than the gen 1. In this case I still think the gen 1 is better. You can check out the gen 1 vs gen 2 on youtube if you want.

but like I said if you are not going to be drilling concrete you don't need the hammer drill.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Sep 28, 2016, 03:48 PM »
if you are not going to be drilling concrete you don't need the hammer drill.

I will say the hammer feature works like a chatter gun to remove tight fasteners.  Its easily worth the extra $20.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 28, 2016, 05:35 PM »
I have 2604-22 I think 750in# more than enough. Had it 3 years came with 2  4ah batteries use a 6"lazer and have drilled 30-40 holes in 22" ice and had NO problems!!

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #11 on: Sep 28, 2016, 06:47 PM »
I have 2604-22 I think 750in# more than enough. Had it 3 years came with 2  4ah batteries use a 6"lazer and have drilled 30-40 holes in 22" ice and had NO problems!!

I have run the same rig as above, with a 6" and a 7" Mora / clam plate for two years now. Works like a champ. The 7" does grunt it a tad, but rarely need the second battery. So far: light weight, fast and reliable.  ;D   Add the LED light and you have the best deer tracking light in camp!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 28, 2016, 06:51 PM »
 If money is no object, check out the Super Hawg.  She is a bit bulky, but wow! Pushes the 10" Nills like it is nothing.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 28, 2016, 07:02 PM »
I also have a clam plate paired up with my drill

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 28, 2016, 07:04 PM »
I saw a video comparison of the gen 2 vs the gen 1 and for battery life doing our kind of drilling ice the gen 1 was better, longer battery life, the gen 2 did drill more holes in concrete with a small dia bit. The gen 2 is a little bit smaller than the gen 1. In this case I still think the gen 1 is better. You can check out the gen 1 vs gen 2 on youtube if you want.

but like I said if you are not going to be drilling concrete you don't need the hammer drill.
.                The hammer drill in my understanding is built with a heavier "transmission " if u will. Do not drill holes in hammer mode!!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 28, 2016, 07:14 PM »
I've read in the past some of the regular drills have plastic gears where as the hammer drills have metal gears..

Not sure about the fuels..

I know Ridgid hammer drill is a lot heavier than my regular one.. Also has a different heavier chuck..

<°)))>{

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Sep 28, 2016, 07:19 PM »
Cordless hammer drills are the exact same thing as the regular models with the added hammer more. Used for drilling with masonary bits into concrete and block/brick/stucco. I have the Milwaukee 2704 which is awesome. It will do anything you would need a drill to do around home.
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-1-2-in-Hammer-Drill-Driver-XC-Kit-2704-22/206211755

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 28, 2016, 07:20 PM »
I have one of each. They both seem to drill the same on ice. Not sure about the gears, but as long as you are in low it shouldn't be an issue.  Dewalt drills on the other hand, are worthless when it comes to transmissions in my opinion. The new 20 V versions may be better , But I have destroyed many an 18 V and even a few 36 V drills in my plumbing business and on the ice.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #18 on: Sep 28, 2016, 09:04 PM »
So, snooping around at either a Dewalt 20v max 996 or a milwaukee fuel m18. Question is, there are many different models of the m18 so which have most guys been going with? I once read to use one with 1,200 ft/lbs but there are about 3 different models that i am seeing. thanks. After finding this out will decide whether to go with dewalt or milwaukee.

I have a Milwaukee 2604 model that is the old 700in/lb + range. It's the hammer drill model and works well. If your going to buy one get the 2704 model with the  1200in/lb. I bought the bare tool one and put the 1200in/lb on the auger. And now will use the 700in/lb model to raise my wheel house. It's nice to have the additional torque when running a larger size auger.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 28, 2016, 09:41 PM »
I own the 1200 in/lbs model and it works great with my 8" mora I have not had any problems with any of the augers I have had, or have built for other people. It's truly a awesome setup that does not disappoint.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Sep 29, 2016, 05:26 PM »
You're probably very correct for your style of fishing. For myself, I seldom drill more than 6 holes in an outing. Maybe 10 if the fishing's unusually tough. However, I'll be spinning an 8" bit and would prefer to have that extra torque as opposed to longer battery life. This is just an early season rig for me anyway. When the ice gets thicker than say 18-20" I'll be dragging out the IceGator.
                                                               Stinky

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 12, 2016, 07:41 AM »
Amazon has the MILWAUKEE 2704-22 M18 FUEL for $239. They also have 5 amp batteries for $72.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 12, 2016, 08:06 AM »
Amazon has the MILWAUKEE 2704-22 M18 FUEL for $239. They also have 5 amp batteries for $72.
That puts you over $300. There are a lot of outfits (like Northern Tool and others) that will sell that drill with two 5 amp batteries, charger, handle and case for $279 delivered. Or you shop ebay for the various components and save a few bucks that way if you don't mind the hassle.
                                                               Stinky

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #23 on: Oct 12, 2016, 08:18 AM »
I just posted this yesterday if your looking for a good deal.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=333796.0

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Oct 12, 2016, 08:20 AM »

The pic shows the kit and battery but the description says batteries not included I'm curious which it is

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 12, 2016, 08:22 AM »
I just posted this yesterday if your looking for a good deal.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=333796.0

Was that in store or is that available online or over the phone?

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #26 on: Oct 12, 2016, 08:27 AM »
Well it was in the store they said the deal was going on until 11/2/16 They do have a website. Looks like you can also get the deal online. Click on Special offer available.
https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/931289-milwaukee-fuel-hammer-drill-and-driver-kit.html

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Oct 12, 2016, 08:33 AM »
Cool thanks I found it. Probably have to run that one by the wife but that's a pretty good deal on that. So is the hammer drill the definite way to go or is it just a handle and heavier. I have no real need for a hammer drill the non hammer would suite me just fine through the year?

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #28 on: Oct 12, 2016, 08:38 AM »
I was actually looking to get the non- hammer drill 2703-22 normally about $30 cheaper. But heck for that price I'll take the hammer drill. If you get a Farm & Fleet charge card you can also get 6 months no interest. That is how I did it, I will pay about $40 per month for 6 months.

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Oct 13, 2016, 07:30 AM »
Before I pull the trigger on one of these I remember hearing something about taking the chuck apart. I don't have to do any of that with this one right?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.