Author Topic: Best time to buy an auger?  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Joe Henry

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best time to buy an auger?
« on: Sep 27, 2016, 03:57 PM »
Just wondering when do you guys typically see the best prices on augers?  I have been out of the game for a long long time and just haven't followed things ... after the Holidays, Spring or Summer maybe?  I assume right now is not good...although I was told that I just missed a great price at Amazon on one...  I want the Eskimo HC40 (Propane) .. if that matters.   Thanks in advance.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best time to buy an auger?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2016, 04:02 PM »
One man's sweetheart is another man's sweathog.
Best time to buy was back in June.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Joe Henry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 2016, 04:28 PM »
ok so summer then?

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2016, 04:40 PM »
If you are shopping for new, I think that there is also a sweet spot earlier (pre-Summer), at retailers who don't carry over seasonal merchandise.  I.e., the latest you can get post-season before inventory is gone.  Late enough they are dumping the inventory, but not so late that there is none left.  The downside: You have to set a price point and then be vigilant and ready to pounce.  One way to gauge off-season values is to search for completed/sold listings on eBay.

Next best thing for me has been very early pre-season sales.

Of course the absolute best time to buy an auger is "this season."   ;D

IMO
YMMV
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline ErnieLearns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2016, 05:03 PM »
You may try online around black friday or cyber Monday?

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2016, 06:15 PM »
Fossil fuel powered augers are quickly becoming passé in areas of mild to moderate ice.  Electric, either a dedicated machine like the Ion or a drill powered auger like the Milwaukee Fuel M18 and auger bit of your choice are the way to go in areas that experience mild to moderate ice thickness.  Don't buy a heavyweight dinosaur unless you absolutely need it for crazy thick ice.  The Ion has been up and down price-wise like crazy in the last month or so, but is still in play.  The Ion is an excellent auger and at a very reasonable weight.  You can do whatever you want, but follow the "Best Late Ice Deals" thread and I will keep on the lookout for you.   I'll pm you if I see something I think you might want to consider.   You WILL NOT regret going electric in Mass.  There are lots of great electric options.  Don't lock yourself in to a gas or propane powered auger.  Best, Mark
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2016, 06:32 PM »
Passé ....oh my......buy what you need when you can afford it.

It ain't rocket science.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 27, 2016, 06:38 PM »
I was thinking more on the lines after you read a post about someone going through 3" of "SAFE ICE". Usually they're ready to give everything away! You can get some really good deals! Actually some of our sponsors above usually have some deals going throughout the ice season. Plus Ebay usually has some offerings.   Lou

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 27, 2016, 07:13 PM »
I'll respectfully disagree with everyone previously posted. End of the season at a big box venue. They typically don't carry stuff over and will blow it out starting while the season is still winding down.

A few years back a buddy came to work and asked if I knew someone that wanted to buy an auger. He purchased a pair of Strikemaster 2hp 10 inch chippers @ WallyWorld for $180 per. That is a wholly smokes moment. Those deals can still be had but you have to watch and be ready to pull the trigger. If you blink Joey will be right behind you to snag both and make money on them.

This just doesn't go for augers, any outdoor hobby at/near the end of the season generally will score some deals. One more: Many years ago I was dragging thru Target with my wife, very little there to interest me. Found an end cap with 6 packs of the LARGE chemical handwarmers for 29 CENTS each (for the 6 pack!). I asked an associate if that was right and they said yep. I asked if there was a limit and they said "No, would you like me to get you a cart?"  ::) Duh! I bought all 40 6 packs for about $11.50 making each warmer just under .05 cents each... DEAL!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 27, 2016, 07:20 PM »

It ain't rocket science.

Rg

C'mon man.... Not everyone is where we are and can buy what they want/need when they want/need. Some folks still require the justification of a deal to make it fit in their budget or the possibility of getting something they might want/"need" but can only make it fit through a well defined window. I'm not too far removed from that but I still look for a deal just because....
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 27, 2016, 07:26 PM »
I'll respectfully disagree with everyone previously posted. End of the season at a big box venue. They typically don't carry stuff over and will blow it out starting while the season is still winding down.

A few years back a buddy came to work and asked if I knew someone that wanted to buy an auger. He purchased a pair of Strikemaster 2hp 10 inch chippers @ WallyWorld for $180 per. That is a wholly smokes moment. Those deals can still be had but you have to watch and be ready to pull the trigger. If you blink Joey will be right behind you to snag both and make money on them.

This just doesn't go for augers, any outdoor hobby at/near the end of the season generally will score some deals. One more: Many years ago I was dragging thru Target with my wife, very little there to interest me. Found an end cap with 6 packs of the LARGE chemical handwarmers for 29 CENTS each (for the 6 pack!). I asked an associate if that was right and they said yep. I asked if there was a limit and they said "No, would you like me to get you a cart?"  ::) Duh! I bought all 40 6 packs for about $11.50 making each warmer just under .05 cents each... DEAL!

Lol, sounds like when I found colman tie on mantles on clearance for $0.24 for a two pack.. I bought all of them, 17 years ago and still using them...

<°)))>{

Offline ErnieLearns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Sep 27, 2016, 07:32 PM »
Can you get a battery for an ion auger 10 years or 20 years from now?  I have no idea.  You will be able to get a propane tank 20 years from now for a propane auger.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Sep 27, 2016, 08:02 PM »
I scored a couple years back on an iceducer and porta pack for my Humminbird 597 during the summer at Wallmart.com. Last year I got a great deal in Oct./Nov. on my Strikemaster at Reeds. Keep an eye on the online stores periodically and be ready to Jump if you find your deal.

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Sep 27, 2016, 08:08 PM »
Jiffy website sells last years augers at a tremendous discount after the ice season is over. A lot of this sites sponsors do the same end of season as well.
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 27, 2016, 08:12 PM »

It ain't rocket science.

Rg

;D Thanks Rg I needed a good chuckle.
Bud

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 28, 2016, 09:18 AM »
I would keep a close eye on Amazon at all times.  With the glitch sale pricing you just never know but it takes a lot of relentless searches as sales can change hourly on the same item.  I don't have the patience but I know others that do and have score some great deals.

I also have luck on black Friday/Cyber Monday.  Believe it or not Dicks sporting goods can be a great place to score deals online cyber Monday.  My last big purchase I received $75 off $250 plus 20% plus an addition 10% just for signing up for their email.  They also provide free shipping but an auger would probably cost you an additional $10 due to weight.

The end of the year sales can also be killer.  I know I scored my Strikemaster from Dicks for just less than $200 out the door.  They had the auger $30 off normal price plus an additional 10% off at the end of Feb.  They also allowed me to use the $10 off anything purchase over $100 coupon, and $10 off anything in the sporting goods section.   The next week they had all their ice fishing clearance 20% so I brought in the receipt and they discounted that as well.   Cabelas, Gander Mountain, Dunhams also heavily discount around the end of February-March.

With Walmart it is definitely a right place at the right time kind of deal.  I have yet to figure out their clearance structure other than they want to move out any merchandise that has sit more than 9 months on their shelf and the discounts can be deep.  I think my last big ice related score was the $30 buddy heater.  Unfortunately, a lot of the Walmart stores near me do not sell big ticket ice fishing items anymore.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #16 on: Sep 28, 2016, 09:56 AM »
March is a great time to find deals when stores are trying to clear out old stock ice fishing stuff and setting up for open water fishing stuff.

Offline crappie55409

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Sep 28, 2016, 11:04 AM »
I could have gotten an ion auger last year on black Friday through dicks sporting goods for $320 shipped.  that's the best ive ever seen for that model.  still kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on that deal

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Sep 28, 2016, 11:31 AM »
check for those display models at end of season. Big bucks can be saved.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #19 on: Sep 28, 2016, 12:25 PM »

My wife bought an Ion with reverse for my birthday in June and got a real good deal. I'd better be able to buy a battery
                for it 20 years from now. Of course I'll be 88 year old, I hope I'm still ice fishing then!

IW

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #20 on: Sep 28, 2016, 02:27 PM »
the best deal I ever got with augers was when kmart on 28th st. closed there doors back in the day.strikemaster mora 8 inch augers for 8 bucks a piece. I bought all 10 of them and still  have a few of them but sold most for $45 years ago.jiffy has demo unit for great deals at the end of the year.nice shape units too.i got a lemon jiffy pro4 lite and after some phone calls they sent me another that starts in 3 pulls,the pro 4 lites were so cheap I bought two. they  were priced $229 plus shipping.

Offline joemx1825

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Sep 28, 2016, 03:49 PM »
late April clearance sales for sure... last year's Dick's Sporting Goods Black Friday 25% off storewide sale was unreal too, hoping that happens again this black friday...

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Sep 28, 2016, 05:04 PM »
Got my Strikemaster 8 inch Lazer at Reeds last year on a VIP pricing for 379 with Free shipping Before the season started.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Sep 28, 2016, 05:17 PM »
I have set my phone up with my favorite stores so when sales and flash sales pop my phone lets me know and some of my buds have other stores so we share with each other all the time and it gets past on to some threads , I caught a sale last January from bass pro , on a Kenai pro thermal for 264.00 , only found a few ,none in the warehouse , they shipped 1 from hookset Conn to my store in NY

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #24 on: Sep 28, 2016, 07:23 PM »
 If your on a budget, a lot of people selling right now on clist.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #25 on: Sep 28, 2016, 11:44 PM »
Just wondering when do you guys typically see the best prices on augers?  I have been out of the game for a long long time and just haven't followed things ... after the Holidays, Spring or Summer maybe?  I assume right now is not good...although I was told that I just missed a great price at Amazon on one...  I want the Eskimo HC40 (Propane) .. if that matters.   Thanks in advance.

At the end of the ice season.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.