Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: New to Des Moines  (Read 492 times)

Offline drakevh

• IceShanty Rookie
New to Des Moines
« on: Sep 27, 2016, 12:08 AM »
I just moved to Des Moines this past summer and am wondering where some locals ice fish around here? Is there ever good enough ice or do you usually head north? I'm originally from northwest Iowa and did lots of ice fishing around local ponds and at the IGL's. I'd love some info!

Offline D0wnbyth3r1v3r

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: New to Des Moines
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29, 2016, 01:54 PM »
That all depends on what you target and how far you want to branch out. Ice conditions vary pending where your located. If you want early ice action then head north as DM region seems to be slow freezing as I have seen during the few years I have been ice fishing. Just all depends on mother nature:)

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: New to Des Moines
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2016, 11:59 AM »
During a normal winter we normally have good ice (4") sometime around the end of December. If you don't get the weekly fishing report from the IA DNR, I would suggest you go to their website and sign up for it. Public lakes and ponds in the DSM area can be good for Bluegills and Crappie. Big Creek gets a lot of attention, but I rarely fish it. Badger Creek south of Van Meter can be productive, along with Aquabi south of Indianola. Also, Dale Maffit Lake can also be good.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.