Author Topic: Frabill I-float suit compared to the others  (Read 12771 times)

Offline tbulhead

• IceShanty Rookie
Frabill I-float suit compared to the others
« on: Sep 26, 2016, 07:29 PM »
Has anyone actually seen these new suits?  Are they bulky like a life jacket?  I was planning on getting a Striker suit, but being coast guard certified has many applications like trout fishing in certain streams where life jackets are required along with being in a boat from November to May in New York.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Frabill I-float suit compared to the others
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2016, 07:47 PM »
I believe IS members Finders Keepers may have seen one up close so maybe PM him.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline SlimShanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2016, 08:03 PM »
I was looking at the I-Float bibs but you have to pair it with the jacket in order to be coast guard certified.  I already have a decent frabill jacket so I ended up going with Striker Ice Predator bibs.  They actually just came today in the mail.  I am pretty impressed with the quality and construction and I can't wait to try them out this season.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2016, 08:14 PM »
I also have some Striker Ice gear ...Climate bibs and both the Predator and Climate parkas....tested them over the summer by jumping off a floating raft ...popped up like a cork .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2016, 06:29 AM »
I have just come up with the same question, from what I have found the coat is what is coast guard certified not the bibs. I have the same thinking with other uses being in a kayak from november to may so you dont have to wear a bulky life jacket, just a coat that will also keep you warm and dry. I think im going to order the ifloat from gander and the striker from dickssporting being I have one of the stores close to return whatever I didnt want. Fish usa has the i float stuff pretty reasonable

Offline pole_smoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2016, 09:12 PM »
I have one on the way that I ordered. I use it exactly for what the others have said. For year round fishing on Lake Erie. If things go right and it shows up, I will have it on the water this upcoming Wednesday. Will report back. I ordered the bibs and the jacket. Only the jacket is USCG approved, not the bibs. I changed from a one piece mustang 2175 coverall to this suit because the mustang had a pretty long inseam which became a trip hazard on ice and night on deck for me. This option let me get the smaller bibs I needed (33 waist) and larger jacket (42 chest) with still having the safety of a USCG approved life vest. (Which is good because we are checked often in our area.)

Offline OIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2016, 05:39 AM »
Didnt like what it felt like when I tried it on. I don't see any reason to change up suits from my Striker Ice Suit.

Offline pole_smoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2016, 08:44 PM »
Received my suit and my initial reaction was the suit was well built. As far as feel, I am confident that after more use the suit will loosen up and become more comfortable. It is a little stiff but has a life jacket built in. Just like my old mustang after a few times it became very comfortable. I like the waterproof/windproof feature of the jacket, the high neck gaiter type collar, and the outside pockets. The pic keepers are great and will encourage me to Carry pics more often as they are held firmly in place and will not interfere with activity. The bibs are nice as well and the zippers go all the way to your waist and are easy to get in to. I do wish they used the same beefy zipper on the bibs as they did on the jacket. For me, since I use this on Erie year round, the important feature to me was the USCG approval. Which this coat has, that other than mustang and Stearns, others cant say that. The suit appears to be well constructed with good features and I also like the fact that the ergonomics of the jacket is made so that it comfortable. Think I'm going to like it. In my short time last night, if you saw the world series we are out the same time the game was on and the fans and players were bundled up. We had 40 degree air with wind out of the SE at 15. Waves were 2-4 and i spent 90 percent of the four hours out in the elements and was comfortable. To each their own but the USCG rating, features and construction seems to fit my needs. I think it was worth the purchase for initial quality and features.

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2016, 01:45 PM »
My I float Jacket and Bibs will be here Monday 21 NOV.  Will report later that eve.
Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2017, 07:42 PM »
Any updates on the i-float suit? Are the padded knees stitched around or seam sealed? I wonder how much this suit differentiates from the other i-series other than being a floatation suit.

Offline tapone

• IceShanty Rookie
Born to fish, fish to live..... gotta drink something so it might as well be a cold beer!

Offline fishinagain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2017, 11:33 AM »
Wow those are some GREAT deals! If i were in the market I would try them out for that price.
Pure Michigan

TEAM MITTEN

Offline WiMeatHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2017, 11:42 AM »
Those deals almost seem too good to be true!?!?! Has anyone bought anything from that site before and is the stuff garbage or brand new?
WiMeatHunter

Offline ElectricSlide19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2017, 12:24 PM »
site is legit from what I have heard from other people that have ordered from there. Fast and timely shipping as well

Offline idahohunter1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2017, 12:59 PM »
Does anyone care to comment about how warm these suits are? I see nothing in their discriptions about insulation.
On the ice again, just can't wait to get on the ice again, the life I love is catching fish with my friends, and I can't wait to get on the ice again. "kinda Willie Nelson"

Offline Ntjones38

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2017, 08:28 PM »
Those deals almost seem too good to be true!?!?! Has anyone bought anything from that site before and is the stuff garbage or brand new?

I purchased the i5 suit from them,  all legit new with tags in sealed packaging. Purchased the ifloat today for the price alone.

RallyGreen

« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2017, 10:34 AM »
Just wanted to say thanks for the head's up on that fieldsupply deal! I ordered a set of I-Float in the nick of time. I figure for how cheap it is, I'll try it out and if it doesn't fit right or whatnot, I shouldn't have any issue selling it locally.

Offline Linc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2017, 11:01 AM »
I just ordered the I-Float jacket. May order the bibs at another time but I already have bibs that are water and wind proof. But I will wait and see how the quality of the jacket is before deciding about the bibs.

Offline 18davinci

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2017, 10:30 PM »
I just bought the set for $181. I will report back on my review. 

Offline SentryOne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2017, 12:47 PM »
I purchased the bibs from FS for my wife but they didn't have the jacket in her size. Bought that separately from WM but unfortunately not for the sweet price on FS. I have the Striker bibs but wear my own down parka. Probably the worst fill should I  take a plunge. I'll probably go with the SI jacket eventually though because I'm very happy with the bibs. The Frabill I-5 bibs look awesome despite not having the pfd functionality.

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2017, 12:02 AM »
I got the I-float bibs and jacket from Wing Supply today (Think I ordered them Monday, they were actually at the PO yesterday but I wasn't going down there in that blizzard). I haven't tried them out on the ice yet, but I tried them on. The bibs feel like they fit perfectly. The sleeves on the jacket are a little long though,  don't think they're so long I that need to return them.
Feels like it'll be pretty warm.

Offline danbfishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2017, 01:06 PM »
Just came across this thread, I'm looking to buy the I-float jacket and bibs. For those of you who have them, are the sizes true? I'm 2x, but in some cases 2x is a little small.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.