Author Topic: Empire heater help. Edit: [Issue resolved thanks to Cold-As-Ice]  (Read 3146 times)

Offline . Ron

• Team IceShanty Addict
I've got an Empire direct vent, model DV-215-7SG.  It ran fine last winter, but I'm having issues with it this fall.  Here's what's happening...

The pilot doesn't seem to be heating the thermopile enough to fire thermopile burners when the temperature drops to a point where it should click on.  The pilot seems lower than it should be.  I've tested the thermopile and get 200mA when 's the pilot heating it, but it will get up to 500 mA on a propane torch set to a very low flame.  I would say that the thermopile needs to be replaced, but it works fine with a proper flame directed on it.  (I should add that the thermopile has been cleaned with 000 steel wool, and that got me from 150 mA to 200 mA)  I have turned the pilot shield so that the pilot flame is burning directly on the thermopile, and still can't get over 200mA.  Once I get it up to 300mA with the torch the burners will fire.

So my estimation it that the pilot light is the issue.  If that's the case, I don't know what to do.  I could order a new thermopile for $50 (including shipping) but hate to waste the money if that's not the issue. 

What would cause a pilot light to be so low?  I appreciate your reaponses.

-Ron

Offline COLD-AS-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Empire heater help
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2016, 07:58 PM »
It happens quite frequently. When people turn these heaters off for the summer, insects like spiders crawl into the pilot tube and make nests that plug them up. I am a propane tech and see it very often. Take it all apart and run a very fine wire or needle through your pilot orifice. Or order a new one

Offline . Ron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 2016, 08:22 PM »
Thanks for your input.  The copper tube that runs from the valve to the pilot orifice is clean.  If there is an obstruction, it's likely to be in the "nozzle" sort-of-thing inside the pilot orifice, and I can't get a needle or wire into that.  I'm hoping that you're right, though, and that 90 psi of blown air will dislodge something. 

I've already ordered a thermopile, but even if I can fix this with duct tape and a paper clip, it'd be good to have a spare.  Several of us in the ice village have the same heaters.

Thanks again.

-Ron

Offline COLD-AS-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2016, 08:26 PM »
DO NOT i repeat DO NOT push 90 psi of air through any part of that system! That system is designed to have a 1/2 psi in it. If you run that amount of air through it you might as well buy a whole new heater

Offline . Ron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2016, 08:41 PM »
So you're suggesting that I NOT blow 90 psi through it?

Offline . Ron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2016, 08:51 PM »
I am actually a bit smarter than I seem.  I cranked it down to 5psi (as low as it would go) and blew through the nozzle after taking off the copper tube.  It worked.  The pilot is back to full again and the thermopile, after a rubdown with 000 steel wool, takes about 20 seconds to get up to 320 mVolts with the load of the thermostat.

I was aware that blowing pressure through the valve can ruin it.  I've seen it happen.  Didn't think that a bit of pressure would hurt a nozzle, though.  If I was wrong, then I was very fortunate.

All is running well, now. 

Thanks again for taking the time to help.

-Ron

Offline COLD-AS-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just wanted to make sure. Blowing through the orifice should be fine. But pilot tune or any other part beyond the regulator no designed for that pressure. Glad I could help

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Why work when you can fish?
Works even better if you turn gas valve on ;D ;D ;D ::) ::) :o
Is it ice time yet???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.