Author Topic: monofilament for ice fishing.  (Read 2626 times)

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
monofilament for ice fishing.
« on: Sep 26, 2016, 10:21 AM »
I have some left over 6 and 8 lbs Stren Magnathin monofilament from this summer and was thinking of trying it for ice fishing. I am located in (tropical ) northern Minn.
Thanks.
Oops! is too late.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
Re: monofilament for ice fishing.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2016, 11:55 AM »
as a leader? on a reel? mainline on a tipup?
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2016, 12:06 PM »
What species are you targeting?
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2016, 12:20 PM »
I'm usually fishing outside with bobbers using inline reels for Crappie / Walleye. I've tried so called ice lines / fireline micro ice etc. and wasn't happy with either. Just thought I would use up last years mono and was wondering if any has tried the Stren mono.
Oops! is too late.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2016, 12:30 PM »
I know plenty of guys around here that just run regular Trilene XL year round..

Although mostly for walleye that are hard to find under 5lbs.

I use the 4lb XL for sunfish and crappie, but run a 1-2lb leader for them..

Never tried Stren, but all you can do is try and see...

<°)))>{

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2016, 01:35 PM »
Likely fine for walleye.  I am thinking four or less for crappie.
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2016, 01:43 PM »
For panfish, crappie, bluegill, perch I don't go over 2 Lb test. The bigger the line the longer it takes to get a small jig down and seem to catch a lot more fish also. For walleye leader or jigging 8 Lb test, been broke off too many times on big fish with 6 Lb line. Just my 2 cents.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2016, 05:04 PM »
I have some left over 6 and 8 lbs Stren Magnathin monofilament from this summer and was thinking of trying it for ice fishing. I am located in (tropical ) northern Minn.
Thanks.

It will work, you might see a bit of ice build up on it. I tried Trilene XL last year on bobber poles in my shack and for some reason it really seem to get line twist in it bad. It still fished fine and landed walleye. ( p.s. I also dislike fire line.)

I generally run Trilene micro ice and have been happy. Not sure if it has a coating or something on it vs regular mono.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2016, 05:44 PM »
I'm usually fishing outside with bobbers using inline reels for Crappie / Walleye. I've tried so called ice lines / fireline micro ice etc. and wasn't happy with either. Just thought I would use up last years mono and was wondering if any has tried the Stren mono.

I use Stren Original 6lb, on open face spinning reels, year round, for trout and am very happy with it.  Been doing that for decades.  More stretch than Trilene.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Sep 26, 2016, 06:13 PM »
I'm not a fan of stren , I use copolymers for pans and for leaders on my deeper fish like perch , eyes and lakers , I don't use ice lines didn't see any significant difference and I don't fish cold so fire line works fine for me , I'm going to give P-line coated with floro carbon ,tried it for trout ,low stretch and very limp

Offline littlemelon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Sep 27, 2016, 10:48 AM »
Hi, I have used Stren for many years and still use it.
  I like the blue/clear color are the green color which is hard to find.
The yellow/gold Stren seems too weak.
A couple years ago I tried Orange Suffix line, I liked it.
I am not a happy camper with Trilene.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #11 on: Sep 27, 2016, 10:54 AM »
ive found only thin diameter lines work well in the cold,large diameter coils up till heated in the water or sun.and florocarbon is the worst on a reel when real cold,but there are few options out there. youll have to trial and error to see what works.one sugestion keep reels as warm as possible till you fish it cuts down on the coiling
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Sep 27, 2016, 10:56 AM »
I've used 4 pound Trilene over the years for panfish and never had any problems.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #13 on: Sep 27, 2016, 12:15 PM »
I'm going to try some 4 Lb Tectan mono this winter, same diameter as berkley micro ice 2 LB. (well actually .001" bigger dia.)
Tectan mono made in Germany 328 yards for $12.99

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 27, 2016, 01:31 PM »
On my long rods (pulsator type) for hole hopping I use ether 2# or 3# micro ice. No problems at all with the line. Everybody has their personal favorite.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Sep 27, 2016, 01:46 PM »
You'll have no problems...IMO...with that.  I'd just suggest using a Floro leader if you have concerns. 
Take the pledge, be safe, enjoy every second of life and lets go JETS!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 27, 2016, 01:54 PM »
This is what I don't buy one bit about ice lines as far as standard mono lines goes..

It's a given that soft water fishing is the most popular. That alone makes it the most profitable too.. Which in turn also makes it have a lot more professionals and tournaments.. With all the profits, popularity, and pros involved says to me the most technology is being utilized..

Does anyone really think that they wouldn't use the smallest diameter, strongest, most technologically advanced materials that are the most flexible at any temperatures already in the soft water industry? The pro walleye tournaments fish in some pretty diverse temperatures, as do pier and steelhead fishing..

Now understanding how small a slice ice fishing is compared to the rest of the fishing industry.. Does anyone believe the lines we have specifically available for ice to be superior to what's available to the soft water industry? How so? In other words, do you think the line companies employ a special expert ice scientist for our lines?

Also I think worth mentioning is, if we do have a line that is superior to any soft water line, wouldn't that immediately make it the best soft water line too. It's not like any lines will get stiffer or weaker at room temperature..

Not faulting anyone for the choices that work best for them.  Just wanted to share my line of thought on the subject..

Wondering if anyone else sees it like I do?

<°)))>{

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #17 on: Sep 27, 2016, 08:00 PM »
This is what I don't buy one bit about ice lines as far as standard mono lines goes..

It's a given that soft water fishing is the most popular. That alone makes it the most profitable too.. Which in turn also makes it have a lot more professionals and tournaments.. With all the profits, popularity, and pros involved says to me the most technology is being utilized..

Does anyone really think that they wouldn't use the smallest diameter, strongest, most technologically advanced materials that are the most flexible at any temperatures already in the soft water industry? The pro walleye tournaments fish in some pretty diverse temperatures, as do pier and steelhead fishing..

Now understanding how small a slice ice fishing is compared to the rest of the fishing industry.. Does anyone believe the lines we have specifically available for ice to be superior to what's available to the soft water industry? How so? In other words, do you think the line companies employ a special expert ice scientist for our lines?

Also I think worth mentioning is, if we do have a line that is superior to any soft water line, wouldn't that immediately make it the best soft water line too. It's not like any lines will get stiffer or weaker at room temperature..

Not faulting anyone for the choices that work best for them.  Just wanted to share my line of thought on the subject..

Wondering if anyone else sees it like I do?

<°)))>{

I don't think the line is different. I do think the coatings on the line are.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Sep 27, 2016, 08:30 PM »
I'm going to try some 4 Lb Tectan mono this winter, same diameter as berkley micro ice 2 LB. (well actually .001" bigger dia.)
Tectan mono made in Germany 328 yards for $12.99

That sounds good to me ^

I've found that most times you have to see it to know..

I've seen a lot of different 2lb test lines, they are not the same.. Some look like 4lb and some like 1lb..

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 27, 2016, 08:40 PM »
I don't think the line is different. I do think the coatings on the line are.

That could be. I didn't take that into account..

I might not really know the difference because I've been straight lining.. Or running a lot of weight on a spinning reel for walleye.. For my entire life almost I haven't ever really tried to catch panfish on a spinning reel, always been schooleys type..

So I really don't test lines like some could..

<°)))>{

Offline Beerslushy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Sep 27, 2016, 09:25 PM »
I've used trilene and stren in all different strengths for all different species and it always gets the job done.  That being said I'm planning on trying some braid for deep water laker fishing this year.  Friends of mine use it with good Results.  Setting the hook in 100 feet feels like fishing with a rubber band even with heavy mono.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Sep 29, 2016, 03:47 PM »
Braid ices badly if you are fishing outside.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Beerslushy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Sep 29, 2016, 09:08 PM »
I have heard that.  Maybe I'll give it a shot while fishing in the shelter. We shall see.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Sep 30, 2016, 01:24 AM »
I used mostly 6# Stren on Schooley rods and spinning rigs for years because i didn't know any better and it sure did work good. Lately i have been spooling up the Suffix mono mainly since its easier to find in 2&4 lb test.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Sep 30, 2016, 03:28 AM »
Last year I tried Trilene's Micro Ice and wasn't a fan of it.  It didn't seem to sink as quick as Trilene's Cold Water when using the same exact jig for comparison purposes and seemed to coil more.  Maybe I got a bad spool and maybe I'm not being fair to it but I won't buy it again.  Like anything else it pretty much comes down to personal preference.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.