Author Topic: One man otters  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Buttonbuckslayer!

• Team IceShanty Regular
One man otters
« on: Sep 25, 2016, 10:10 AM »
So to those who have actually seen them in person,  would you recommend a Otter XT Hideout, or XT pro cottage for a run and gun one man?  I already have a very large hub, so I'm definitely just interested in a comfortable one man. 

The cottage is definitely wider, but I can't really tell if the length is anywhere as usable as the hideout because of the different way the seats are mounted.  I know the cottage weighs 20#s more, but I'm pretty big and strong, plus I'm not afraid to build a custom smitty sled for it.
Does the hideout set up easier than the cottage for quick moves? Is the seat better in one than the other?  Did they fix the draft problem for 2016 in the hideout?  I've got a lot invested in 32" TUCRs...   I know a 32" rod is fine in a hideout, but is it good in the cottage too?  Is one designed to carry gear better than the other?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: One man otters
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2016, 07:18 PM »
It's a very well built shanty. But if your pulling by hand, could be too heavy for run and gun with gear...
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Offline mazak730

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2016, 12:14 AM »
The hideout has no extendable poles so you just flip over and good to go. The cottage has extendable poles. I just ordered a pro cottage and use 30 inch rods. I hope I made the right decision. I was between the cottage and cabin. I measured out the fishable space on my living room floor and sat in a chair and the cottage seemed like it should work good.

Offline Buttonbuckslayer!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2016, 08:37 AM »
The hideout has no extendable poles so you just flip over and good to go. The cottage has extendable poles. I just ordered a pro cottage and use 30 inch rods. I hope I made the right decision. I was between the cottage and cabin. I measured out the fishable space on my living room floor and sat in a chair and the cottage seemed like it should work good.
So all you have to do with the hideout is flip it up and you're good, but the other houses need to have extra poles put in every time you break down/setup?  Also, I've never seen one in person, so I'm not too sure how they work.  Is the sled exposed when they're closed for moving?  Can you acces your gear like flasher/auger while they're in the closed position?

Offline mazak730

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2016, 11:52 PM »
The cottage and up yes you have to extend poles. very easy to do. One plus about the otter is that the sled tub is taller. So if you are making a short move you can just flip it back (without collapsing the poles down) and the shanty fabric will not be dragging on the ice when you are moving. then once you get to your new spot just flip over and good to go. I fish big water and I have made 1+ mile moves with just flipping the shanty over. if there is a lot of snow I will leave the front wind pole in then flip the shanty over so you don't get as much snow inside the shanty. Hope that makes sense.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2016, 11:07 AM »
A wind pole is a snap in pole that goes perpendicular between the poles that flip up and holding the canvas. They are there to provide extra support for any reason but usually wind. I have never used a wind pole in any shack but some guys use them every time.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2016, 11:34 AM »
I reaaly like the one-mans that are "quick-flip" (i.e. no poles to extend).  They are way quicker to move around in.  I've had the Otter cottage - nice roomy one-man, I now have Frabill Pro that is 40" wide and quick-flip style; if Otter had had the Hide-out when I boght the Frabill, that is where I'd be.  No one shelter is a do all.  I still have a larger pop-up style for those days of group fishing.
My opinion, go with the Hide Out - you will have 48" of space, from the sled, out in front of you while fishing.  Very nice and Otter is very well made.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.