Author Topic: Heat Suggestions for flip over  (Read 3814 times)

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
Heat Suggestions for flip over
« on: Sep 25, 2016, 10:09 AM »
I have a Clam Nanook and use a Mr Heater portable Buddy.   It has 4000 btu or 9000btu    It is too big for my flip over.   I end up turning it on and off very often to maintain a nice temp level.    I looked at the smaller Mr Heater unit, Little Buddy.  But it is not adjustable and stil has 3800 btu, not much smaller than the portable buddy.   

I looked for Coleman ProCat and SportCat models.  They may be off the market.   TexSport makes one, anyone use it?

Any other suggestions?
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Heat Suggestions for flip over
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2016, 11:07 AM »
clip the wires on a little electric heater then run it off a flasher battery seems to work ok

Offline JiggingIowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 25, 2016, 11:09 AM »
I had a sport cat as my first heater for the hunting blind. Have taken it out on the ice and it's pretty unimpressive. In my opinion it doesn't produce enough ambient heat even in a small area; more of a hand warmer to place between your legs. I know what you are saying about having to turn off the buddy heater. I run my big buddy on the low 4000 btu setting, and can get hot at times and have to turn it off. The little buddy doesn't seem to produce the ambient heat that the buddy heater does, making it sustainable to run. On top of that the small size, light weight and 6 hour run time on 1lb of propane are going to make it hard to beat for what I am interpreting you looking for.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Sep 25, 2016, 11:35 AM »

Brinkman makes a portable that has 2 settings , low is 1500 btu  and high is 3000 btu , Looks like they are still made , mine works great in my 1 man , but my favorite is the old discontinued Coleman radiant 5 for my 1 man

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 25, 2016, 12:08 PM »
I have a Clam Nanook and use a Mr Heater portable Buddy.   It has 4000 btu or 9000btu    It is too big for my flip over.   I end up turning it on and off very often to maintain a nice temp level.    I looked at the smaller Mr Heater unit, Little Buddy.  But it is not adjustable and stil has 3800 btu, not much smaller than the portable buddy.   

I looked for Coleman ProCat and SportCat models.  They may be off the market.   TexSport makes one, anyone use it?

Any other suggestions?

get the house up to the temp you want then shut it off and just run the pilot light that gives off a fair amount of heat. also you didn't say if you had the thermal or non thermal nanook but I am guessing the non thermal. the little buddy is nice I run that in my scout and legend. I am getting a thermal nanook my self this season and will be using my buddy heater in it( the same one you have).
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 25, 2016, 04:13 PM »
clip the wires on a little electric heater then run it off a flasher battery seems to work ok

That can't last very long.. Any electric heater really uses juice..

<°)))>{

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 25, 2016, 05:02 PM »
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Sep 25, 2016, 08:00 PM »
use a lp lantern.

if you do own a mr heater that is adjustable and want less heat from it, turn it down under it's lowest setting. there is an area that allows this to happen it's between pilot and low.

i have 4 heaters including one of the lanterns i take. the lantern is my favorite for most days and then i break out the mr heater little buddy if it's not enough. i take the regular sized mr heater when i know i'll want even more heat and can mix it all up and i also take off the parka and most days it's off anyway.

using several shanties has you using different ideas for them. like using an ammo box for lighting to keep a battery in and a set of 5050 led's to hang in in a pop-up and the same battery with the set of led's, but not being used in a flip over.

one thing i'll say about having a regular sized mr heater on ice is it will make a ton of water, so i set mine on an inflatable seat cushion and keep the cushion far enough back from the heat that it doesn't catch fire.

bass pro makes a real nice carry case for it and several tanks and room for other things and has the carry handles instead of the shoulder strap which made more sense to me being the sled is carrying it with me and i only want the handles to move it from car to sled and back.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Sep 25, 2016, 08:23 PM »
get the house up to the temp you want then shut it off and just run the pilot light that gives off a fair amount of heat.

This is what I do, portable buddy sized heater, and a one man non-thermal flip over. If it's really cold or windy, I'll run it on low with the vents open, and usually will crack a window too. Keeps the condensation away.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Sep 25, 2016, 09:29 PM »
I have an insulated Nanook.   

I looked at electric, I have a JNC 660 charger/starter that works great for 12v stuff.  But it is heavy.  I also have a honday eu2000i generator if i wanted to do 110v heater.  But weight..

I will try the portable buddy again this winter, I do leave the pilot light on in between running it.  Will look at others some mentioned too.

Offline sandhillguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 26, 2016, 02:25 AM »
I wasn't real sure what to get for a heater when I finally decided to get one last year to use with my new Otter Pro Cabin xt, ended up buying a the middle sized buddy heater, found out in short order that if you want to leave your outerwear on in the shelter that it just wasn't going to happen with the buddy heater on low even, days near zero and below it was almost tolerable though, I got real tired of turning in on and off even leaving vents, door zipped open touch. Finally I just started taking my coat and bibs off when I go in the shack. Fish in a t-shirt and jeans, so much more comfortable, then I can have the heater on at a given setting and not need to mess with it. I don't much care for taking bibs on and off when on the ice but it sure is nice to sit in the flipover without a bunch of stuff on!!!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 26, 2016, 05:28 AM »
I have a one man clam and a buddy heater. I only use the heater if it's real cold and then if it gets too hot I just un zip the top of the door a little. That usually does the trick.

Offline ElectricSlide19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 26, 2016, 08:41 AM »
I agree with 3300. An lp lantern is what I use and it heats my pop up uninsulated pretty well

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #13 on: Sep 26, 2016, 09:39 AM »
This also works good no mantel' s to worry about breaking and you can adjust it way down low and cook on it if you want. screws right on top of a 1 Lb can.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 26, 2016, 09:51 AM »
I don't like using a lantern cuz I like to sight fish when I have the clam flipped and it's dark. With a lantern you can't see down the hole that easy. I don't like using my single burner stove either cuz that's just too much of an open flame. Not so worried about setting the clam on fire as accidentally burning a line and losing a favorite jig. But then, there is the whole lighting fire to the clam thing to think about. You just don't live a thing like that down. lol! I use the light for light, the cook stove for cooking and the little buddy for heating.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Sep 26, 2016, 08:26 PM »
open vents crack door open does help, I have run the pilot also and does kick out some heat

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 26, 2016, 09:49 PM »
Have the same shelter.  Use a Mr. Heater MH15c.   Can use it to cook food too.

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-att-us&hl=en-US&oe=utf-8&safe=images&q=mr+heater+mh15c&source=browser-type&qsubts=1474840583017&devloc=0

I've ran on of those for years in my big 5600, on high and it does well with a lantern running too..

I also run one in my one man flip FX100, I keep it on low and it does really great.. Still have to turn it up on the coldest nights.. Fishing without a coat on is nice!!

<°)))>{

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #17 on: Sep 26, 2016, 10:14 PM »

Any other suggestions?

Pretty simple crack the door zipper or something to let some heat out. You can always let heat out but can't always create enough heat when it is really cold if you have to small a heater.

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Sep 27, 2016, 02:05 PM »
It kills me too hear people talk about being too hot while ice fishing  ;D ;D ;D  To me it really comes down to common sense,.....go with lowest setting, open vents and doors, take clothes off...Get up, go outside, stretch for a few minutes, cool down, come back in.  Simple.  Or yeah, turn on, turn off...done.  You're better off having too much heat than a problem of not getting enough heat.  You've got a good heater, just adjust.  I would also suggest staying away from the open flame cooking burners...one gusty wind can QUICKLY shift a shanty and catch ya on fire.  Good luck. 
Take the pledge, be safe, enjoy every second of life and lets go JETS!

Offline Eye Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Sep 27, 2016, 03:20 PM »
Go buy a Jetboil Flash. Use the burner for heat and you got something to make hot water to make coffee, soup, ramen noodles, ect.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Sep 27, 2016, 06:42 PM »
If you need that much heat to be comfortable,you either need to get better warm weather clothes or stay home. Some days it's just too cold to fish comfortably. Dragging heat sources onto the ice is for permie shelters. Not for portables. It's not fishing from your living room.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Sep 27, 2016, 07:21 PM »
I respectfully disagree...

I don't care if you walk out in a space suit, or drive out an RV with holes in the floor..

Night time on lake Erie where the wind never stops, is a place where any heat source is an extremely welcome commodity..

<°)))>{

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Sep 27, 2016, 08:45 PM »
If you need that much heat to be comfortable,you either need to get better warm weather clothes or stay home. Some days it's just too cold to fish comfortably. Dragging heat sources onto the ice is for permie shelters. Not for portables. It's not fishing from your living room.

Rg

Cuz when it sits on the sled I am dragging, the 4 pound heater only feels like 2 pounds.  Well worth the price of comfort.  That's also why I carry my padded Clam boat type seats on the sled.  They are heavy but a comfort well worth having.

I will probably keep the portable buddy I have and try it again.  (I was glad I had it last week when in elk camp.  Makes it comfortable to get out of bed when in a tent)   I hate to open zippers and create drafts and all that to cool the space.  I would prefer a right sized heater.  The Texsport is adjustable to a much less btu, but probably not indoor safe like the Mr Heaters.  Always a catch.

Thanks for the information everyone.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Sep 27, 2016, 10:33 PM »
Rg
Jeez Bob , I can't help it I'm addicted to ice fishing  ;) I also never missed a meeting of ice fishing anonymous
Guess it cant save all of us   ;)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Sep 28, 2016, 04:54 AM »
Yeah, I've been there and done that guys. I've got a buddy heater in the basement. It worked just fine in the Commando I used to own and the fish trap before that. Guess I'm just tired of hauling 100 lbs of stuff around. I've had machines as well. They're a pain in the neck too.

Almost pulled the trigger on a Bayrunner last season. Talked myself out of it. But......you never know.

Getting old I guess :-\

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Sep 28, 2016, 05:48 AM »
oh geez rg, sometimes it gets mighty cold out there but the fish are biting and I can be too dumb to pack it in... heck I'm so dumb that even when the fish ain't biteing I stick it out. I was out on Wallenpaupack last year, probably the only real good cold week we had, the temps were below 0 and the snow was blowing sideways. I was happy to have my heater. My and my dumb buddy were the last ones off the ice! Didn't catch a thing, LOL! I can afford to toss the extra few pounds of a little buddy heater in my sled. When it gets too hot I just unzip the top of the door to adjust the temps.

Offline bshirtd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Sep 28, 2016, 06:06 AM »

Rg

I agree RG I rarely bring a shelter let alone a heat source dress right and you will be fine. If you get cold stand up and go clean holes
its a footrace to the hole

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Sep 28, 2016, 12:21 PM »
this should do  ;D my little portable heater works nicely for this ol boy

Offline GoldenGraham

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Sep 28, 2016, 01:29 PM »
It kills me too hear people talk about being too hot while ice fishing  ;D ;D ;D  To me it really comes down to common sense,.....go with lowest setting, open vents and doors, take clothes off...Get up, go outside, stretch for a few minutes, cool down, come back in.  Simple.  Or yeah, turn on, turn off...done.  You're better off having too much heat than a problem of not getting enough heat.  You've got a good heater, just adjust.  I would also suggest staying away from the open flame cooking burners...one gusty wind can QUICKLY shift a shanty and catch ya on fire.  Good luck.

X2  :tipup:

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #29 on: Sep 28, 2016, 01:38 PM »
I have used my buddy heater many times in my one man flip over. I was catching crappie one evening pretty good but noticed everyone else had gone home, I was the last one out there, when I finally packed it in got in my truck I saw it was minus -12°f out. Ahh so that is why everyone else already went home, I was perfectly comfortable in my un-insulated flip over with buddy heater. Sure when it warmer out you don't need it, but when you need it you need it, it's not that heavy to bring along. Really doesn't weigh or take up any more space than a flasher.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.