Author Topic: Ordered a Shappell FX100  (Read 4566 times)

Offline GoldenGraham

• IceShanty Rookie
Ordered a Shappell FX100
« on: Sep 23, 2016, 06:18 PM »
Last night I pulled the trigger on a 1 man flip shack. I ordered up the Shappell FX100, it looks like a really light unit which will be great for me to pull when walking on! I have heard lots of good things about this shack and now the fun begins with mods! The ETA is Tuesday, first thing I am doing is tossing in some Reflextix insulation on the roof! After insulation I will definitely be putting in some LED strip lights.

Any other suggestions for mods?

I'll post some photos when it comes in!  :tipup:

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

Re: Ordered a Shappell FX100
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2016, 06:25 PM »
G.G. - Don't forget to get to get the wearguard hyfax kit that Shappell makes to put on the bottom so you don't wear a hole in the runners while dragging the unit around -
     Install it before you start assembling the rest of the shack
Now is the time for all good men and women to engage in the sport of ice fishing

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 23, 2016, 06:32 PM »
congratulations on the flip

Offline GoldenGraham

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2016, 11:32 PM »
I have heard from a few people that the runner kit is a must, unfortunately it wasn't available when I purchased the shack. I do plan on using a Smitty but I did find one place online that has the runners in stock so I will put in an order, though it wont be here when my shack comes....I'll have to resist the temptation to assemble it. :wacko:

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2016, 06:20 AM »
I have replaced many sets over the years and it's true it is much easier to put them on First , but of course if your walking a set will last years and years and that's with out a smitty
Congrats on your purchase 👍

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2016, 06:58 AM »
"first thing I am doing is tossing in some Reflextix insulation on the roof! After insulation I will definitely be putting in some LED strip lights."

You've been reading too much from 3300.  ;D

Congrats on the new shack!  ;)
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #6 on: Sep 24, 2016, 08:13 AM »
BTW - congrats. on the shack; it takes about 2 hours to put it together - use a table, makes it easier to assemble than bending over while it is on the ground
Now is the time for all good men and women to engage in the sport of ice fishing

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2016, 08:23 AM »
I got the fx 200 last year and like it. pretty sturdy and easy to use ,need to build a smitty sled soon.enjoy your new shack!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 24, 2016, 12:12 PM »
I made a wind bar that goes up from the sled to the first support up from the sled..

Help with a few things..

1)Helps cut down on most wind flap noise..
2)Helps keep the front down while fishing
3)If you have to for some reason exit quickly, or a DNR walks up and flips your shanty up, it can't totally collapse, which keeps the tarp from burning on the heater I installed..
4) Allows you to move short distances without shutting down to heater and all...

<°)))>{

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Sep 24, 2016, 01:18 PM »
its a great little light weight shack with plenty of room. my back starts to hurt from sitting on the board all day long but I got a small stadium seat for this year.the travel cover is cheaply made tho if you decide to buy that. the support bar brackets wore holes in mine in only a few outings.i would by a similar size travel cover from another brand like clam,frabill or eskimo they are more heavy duty.i put the frabill light bar in mine and I'm going on 3 years with the same batteries.i need to get wear bars for mine too.love the size of the sled its so much easier to load in the truck compared to the long sled of my frabill commando loaded with too much crap.haha.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 24, 2016, 05:39 PM »
Congratulations !! I think the 100 is a great shanty .
I agree with making a wind support bar . Pvc pipe and cut 2 T connections in half to fit the rails . It helps when the wind is blowing hard . However if someone just walke up and flipped mine up just because he has a badge , I'd have an issue with that .
Anyhow , again it's a nice light roomy shanty . Never found the need for extra insulation and no lights in mine  beside a cheap hanging on/off led .
Enjoy

Offline GoldenGraham

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Sep 24, 2016, 08:41 PM »
Any suggestions for heaters? I have been looking at the Little Buddy and Buddy from Mr.Heater. I like with the Buddy that you can connect a larger tank and can rig it up to cook on, but even on low I'm worried it might be too hot in this 1 man flip. This is my first winter in the US/Northern IL so I don't really have a baseline in regards to how much heat I'll need. Thanks!

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 24, 2016, 09:05 PM »
Any suggestions for heaters? I have been looking at the Little Buddy and Buddy from Mr.Heater. I like with the Buddy that you can connect a larger tank and can rig it up to cook on, but even on low I'm worried it might be too hot in this 1 man flip. This is my first winter in the US/Northern IL so I don't really have a baseline in regards to how much heat I'll need. Thanks!
I would suggest the standard size buddy heater.  I normally run mine on low setting in my flip overs.  The larger size will be too big IMO.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 24, 2016, 10:38 PM »

<°)))>{

Offline GoldenGraham

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Sep 24, 2016, 10:41 PM »
Nice setup!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 24, 2016, 11:13 PM »
Thanks, no holes through the floor, just the two bolts on each side...

in the last picture..

Spear, chainsaw, gas auger, 2 heaters 5lb & 10lb, 2 gallon minnow bucket, two lanterns, 8 poles, 3 tip ups spikes, waxes, wigglers.  I've still been able to fit more than I need, more than any sane person should bring.

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 24, 2016, 11:21 PM »

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 24, 2016, 11:27 PM »
Congratulations !! I think the 100 is a great shanty .
I agree with making a wind support bar . Pvc pipe and cut 2 T connections in half to fit the rails . It helps when the wind is blowing hard . However if someone just walke up and flipped mine up just because he has a badge , I'd have an issue with that .
Anyhow , again it's a nice light roomy shanty . Never found the need for extra insulation and no lights in mine  beside a cheap hanging on/off led .
Enjoy

I've heard stories.. Never seen it in person..

But I would be pissed if anyone did that. I get my slush all situated and everything just right..

<°)))>{

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Sep 25, 2016, 12:56 AM »

I'm straight west of you, and have about the same weather. I run a portable buddy size heater in my Frabill Recon which is similar size, no insulation on that flip over. I'll fire it up on low setting and usually have to cycle it on and off during the day, even on the coldest days. And that's after taking my jacket off. If I didn't also have a larger 2 man suitcase style shack, I'd have the little buddy for the one man flip over. Even at near zero temps, if the sun is out and you aren't flipping the top, you'll stay pretty warm even without a heater.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 25, 2016, 06:18 AM »
I have the standard size buddy and just downsized to the little buddy.
The standard would roast me out even on low and took up quite a bit of space.
With the little buddy , I think it puts out about the same btu-4,000 as the regular buddy on low and has a much smaller footprint . 
The only downside I can see is the inability to use it to cook on .

Really though , if space isn't an issue for you then you can't beat the regular size Mr heater buddy

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #20 on: Sep 25, 2016, 09:54 AM »
for heat and low light and night fishing i use a mini lp lantern. no glass to break, but slightly oranger than one with glass.
Bulin Portable Ultralight Compact Camping Gas Lantern
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JQ2FOP4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mantles colman 51
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PB7JBM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for cooking i use a mini cooker;
Etekcity Ultralight Portable Outdoor Backpacking Camping Stoves with Piezo Ignition
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4FY8YO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

you will need an adapter to use this with our gas bottles;
Kovea LPG Adaptor
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CFPISZW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i also bring a mr heater little buddy and all of these things and a one pound lp tank and bases for that bottle fit into a cat little bucket and i use the top of that for a table. i have more one pound tanks with me in my vehical and carry a few in the sled being i fill them part way.
if it's extra cold out i also bring a mr heater mid sized heater and can use any combination of heat sources from lantern alone to lantern with little buddy or what have you. in the pop up's i use the mid sized mostly.
the lantern is almost always on even if not in a shack to bring and hold fish for night fishing and stays on when going into a shack if i had it out for a group fishing stay.

for better lighting only i use a 5050 300 smd water proof reel strip led.
SUPERNIGHT (TM) Cool White 5M / 16.4FT 5050 SMD Flexible LED Strip Lights 300 leds or 60led/m LED Light
https://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-White-16-4FT-Flexible-Lights/dp/B00ASVGI8O/ref=sr_1_20?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1474810604&sr=1-20&keywords=5050+300+smd+water+proof

leave the paper backing in place! and use velcro one wrap to hold them to you bars or get the plastic holders also sold on amazon if you have a hard side.

to control them i use;
Lerway Mini LED Controller Dimmer with RF Wireless Remote Control
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AHU2U7O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

you'll need some wire, most any will do if you have some.
82ft 20awg Extension Cable Wire Cord for 3528 5050 Single Color Led Strips
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SYDH97M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i made wind bars too for each support bar and uses half inch emt conduit and clips from shappell. i added a bolt and plenty of washer so the washer catch the washers staked on top of the nose of the sled so the conduit couldn't slip off from it and rip the tent. use a coupler for the longer bar so it all fits inside your sled. after reading how fish cops open flip shacks, i will be making one for the front door so it can't be opened from the out side. the frabill 2110 i bought and sent back came with one for each support bar including the front door.

i found a great deal last black friday on eskimo versa folding seats and bought 3 for 85$ and took the legs off of one of them and bolted it to the bench seat of my fx100 and i use hunting cushions ofr added comfort being i fish for over six hours a day.

get an ammo box and extra batteries for lighting and keep the batteries in the ammo box.

i use two buckets and cut one in thirds and use the bottom to drill holes (6) to put the rod handles into and use the top of that bucket as a protective insert to keep rods from breaking and use rod slicks over each rod to keep tangles away.

you'll want to add extra rope so your not lifting the nose of the sled as you take strides. and make a smitty ski (shout out to smitty!). use carabiners and long reflective rope and attach the eye bolts to the front raisers so your not sinking the back of the skies pulling it like it does when you attach the rope to the ski tips. it's much harder to turn tho, but worth the easier pull.

you should take an emergency rope and boat seat cushion to be able to save a life or at least a long rope.

when you use heat and snow is on top it will melt and you'll get condensation from heating any way, so the reflectix is for that and to bounce light.
water does enter from the bottoms of both windows when there is enough of it. try to hit the snow off of the roof from the inside when it's snowing to keep that to a minimum. if's it's raining your things in the back will get water on them. bring a tarp or garbage bags or what have you to cover things you don't want wet.

the shappell cover is a poor product and not what they should be using for material. they should use the 600 denier fabric their tents are made of.

their hy-fax kit is the best i have used and reversible so you get up to twice the use from it.

don't forget to ventilate while running gas heat or light. it comes with vents that are two fold being they are also small windows on the sides.

there are other tips and suggestions and thoughts about it, but theses cover what i feel are the most essential and i got to get to work.

good choice and have fun tricking it out and using it!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Sep 25, 2016, 10:21 AM »
See if you can locate a Colman sport cat heater or black cat heater if they still make it 3000btus to 0 btu's adjustability I think mine is the sport cat heater good from 1500btu's to 0 btu's in my frabill recon.. it works wish I had the bigger black cat for when it gets really cold.. but don't got it... any how I got other mods like mounting a flaser to a flip pole with a pontoon boat rail mount made by tite loc  rod holders.. I also use a ram mount base to mount it I tapped and threaded a round base and mounted  it to the rail mount. .  so the finder is in your face cause small screens are not fun.. also there is insulating the hut with that silver reflextics  insolation. I have not done yet.. and tons of other mods I have not done yet..

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Sep 25, 2016, 03:04 PM »
I have a sport cat , don't put out enough heat aside from toasting a beagle or holding your hands right over top to warm them .

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Sep 25, 2016, 03:56 PM »
I have a sport cat , don't put out enough heat aside from toasting a beagle or holding your hands right over top to warm them .

That's why I wish I bought the black car heater.. when I could have..

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #24 on: Sep 25, 2016, 04:22 PM »
Google 'sport cat heater' You'll find them!!! :o
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Sep 25, 2016, 07:12 PM »
I just got a Shappell FX-100 and assembled it! I put the hyfax runners on it and got the cover too. I was thrilled when I found out the new FX-100's have a sliding bench seat. It's perfect for me because I can slide it back in use my Somic Icehopper bucket. Kolpin makes a rubber gun rack holder that is designed to go on a 4 wheeler rack. I'm installing two on the bars behind the sliding seat. It fits perfectly right on the bend. My Nils hand auger and Jiffy pro4 lite sits perfectly secure in them. The blades set above the fabric so it won't slice or cut anything while I'm pulling it. And gives me more storage options in the sled instead of a sharp auger hogging up space.You can collapse the shanty with no interference from the rubber Kolpin grips. I'm excited to use mine.
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Offline GoldenGraham

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Sep 25, 2016, 10:02 PM »
Thanks for the heater suggestions, I ended up going with the Buddy heater. If it gets warm I'll crack the door. Pumped for this shack and wear bars to come in this week!

Offline Fr33Th1nk3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Sep 30, 2016, 06:35 PM »
I really was thinking about that, but after shipping, currency conversion, and import duties, I may be stuck getting a Frabil Sentinal 1100. They just went on sale for 288 CAD. I kind of don't want to be a walking billboard because I already have a frabil HQ100 and bibs  lol. We always get the short stick here in Canada.
A bad day fishing beats a good day working.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Sep 30, 2016, 06:57 PM »
FWIW...

The sliding bench moves towards the front just enough to fit 5 gallon buckets in a pretty secure manner.. Also I've found a milk crate fits perfectly under the bench..

Since my heater is mounted in my sled the milk crate sits forward, under me, as well as my 5lb propane tank..

<°)))>{

Offline GoldenGraham

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Oct 01, 2016, 09:31 AM »
I really was thinking about that, but after shipping, currency conversion, and import duties, I may be stuck getting a Frabil Sentinal 1100. They just went on sale for 288 CAD. I kind of don't want to be a walking billboard because I already have a frabil HQ100 and bibs  lol. We always get the short stick here in Canada.

There are lots of Shappell dealers in Ontario,  I know it's a loooong way to NB but if you don't have any buddies driving out anyway who would bring it back I'm sure one of those smaller shops would toss it on the bus for you, shipping stuff on the bus is quick and generally much less expensive. Just a thought!  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.