Author Topic: Need a new auger..  (Read 1254 times)

Offline Joe Henry

• Team IceShanty Regular
Need a new auger..
« on: Sep 23, 2016, 12:25 PM »
Hello,  Looks like a great forum, looking forward to learning from and helping out folks.  I am getting back into Ice Fishing after many long years of absence and need equipment.  Want to start with an Auger....awful lot of choices.  I have a friend that works for Cabela's that said "don't expect anything to approach the quality of the old Jiffy that you bought in 1978"  ... after looking around I can see what he means!!   Well,  I need one so is anyone building anything half way decent nowadays?  I fish in Massachusetts for "whatever" and "think" I want a Gas Powered Job (but I'm open to suggestions) probably only drill 30 holes a day or something on that order...Thanks, Joe.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Need a new auger..
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2016, 12:30 PM »
Should add your location to your profile ...what species are you targeting ....how thick does your ice get on average ...how many holes do you plan on drilling... Lots of choices ...gas.. electric.. propane...drill power .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Joe Henry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 23, 2016, 12:32 PM »
Yeah, I just did that  :P .

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2016, 12:41 PM »
Welcome back to one of the greatest sports on Earth!  That is a tough question as there is so many options....how many holes do you drill a day?, is weight a consideration?, how much ice do you normally get in MA, do you prefer gas or propane.   Overall its a ford/chevy/dodge thing.  Most of the parts are made oversees. 
For me I use an 8" strikermaster mag 2000 with a single chipper blade.  Not the most expensive but does the trick.  I have cut up to 36" of ice with no problem.  I have had mine for about 8 years now without a problem.  I think this year I may get a new blade.  If the ice is less than 12"  I just use my 6" nils hand auger.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2016, 12:46 PM »
Chipper style blades are more forgiving then lazer style...and can be sharpened at home by hand . I have an older(10 yoa) SM 8" chipper nice and no problems ...I run Opti 2 as my mix  and Seafoam as an additive . All my friends have StrikeMasters also all are holing up ...one is 15 yoa . Last year all I used was my Clam plate w/DeWalt 995 drill and a 6" lazer drill unit ...I chase pan fish  and my ice only get to about 15" on average .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Joe Henry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2016, 01:01 PM »
Thanks for the replies...Well, where I fish I would say a typical Winter probably averages 8"-12" or so of ice but it can be as much as 24" during some Winters.   Weight isn't too much of a concern...probably only drill 30 holes a day or so.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 23, 2016, 01:18 PM »
You might want to check into using a heavy duty brushless drill with a minimum of 750 inch pounds and 4 amp batteries. You might want to check out a Clam plate also, with or without gearbox! Putting one together can be pretty expensive, so you might want to check gas/propane also!! Good luck in your search!!  :icefish: Here's someplace to start getting information!!
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=73.0
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline BAMF22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Sep 23, 2016, 01:51 PM »
Am in the same "boat".  I think I have settled on the Eskimo 40cc propane.  I am in Montana and used gas and propane before.  Propane in a lot easier to deal with during ice season and after.  Youtube has a lot of video reviews on what ever auger you're looking into.
I wish I knew how to do this!!

Offline Joe Henry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 23, 2016, 03:28 PM »
I'm considering the Eskimo 40cc Propane (Model HC40) ...Opinions?

Offline Miller73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Sep 24, 2016, 12:31 PM »
Good afternoon. I finally registered for this site, after reading. On it for several years. I'm outside of Minneapolis. I wanted to comment on the HC 40. I was one of the guinea pigs two years ago when ordering mine. I have had tremendous luck so far. I picked up a quick release to take off the head when transporting it. (As it says to lay it on a certain side only, or stand up)...three pulls to start out of the box, two pulls to start each day, one pull the rest of the days. I get approximately 150 holes out of one tank, and it cuts very quick. The weight is fine, (not light, not heavy). The price was under 370 (it's 365 on Amazon this morning). I really like it. Best of luck to whatever you decide.

Offline Joe Henry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 24, 2016, 12:45 PM »
Thank you for the reply ... just what I am looking for.  Quick question... do you see any problems in the really cold weather?

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Sep 24, 2016, 12:54 PM »
Well if your looking for gas , I have strike master laser mag is now about 10 years runs great but if I was to buy a new one it would be the strike master chipper lite 369.00,  my bud has one and it runs smooth as glass
Many guys run brushless drills these days many different options to look at

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Sep 24, 2016, 01:35 PM »
I had a Jiffy White Lightning 8 inch for more years than I'd care to admit.Last year I bit the bullet and got a Strikemaster Lazer mag in 8 inch. That sucker just pulls right through the ice. Plastic Shields Yes Just the world we live in now i guess. I run pre mix as the gasahol drove me nuts in the old auger. It works and lasts. I got mine early from Reeds for a good price with free shipping.
https://www.reedssports.com/gas-power-augers-ice-fishing

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 24, 2016, 01:47 PM »
Are you drilling holes from inside a permerent??  are you planing on gas propane or electric?? Are you in good health were a hand auger would be better for you then say a power auger for now like no shoulder problem or elbow? 

I see your drilling max 30 holes a trip would a propane auger with a 8 inch be best?  Sound like it to me.. but if the ice Is 8 to 12 inches thick you may want to go hand auger like a finbore 3 or nils .

But if drilling 30 tip up holes each and every trip out then I suggest a power auger..  like propane or gas but if your inside you shack drilling hole propane saves you a ton from choking to death same with had augers.

If you can get away with a 6 inch go with a finbore if not a 8 inch nills for hand power.  By the way those hand augers you can attach to a drill and run off a cordless drill attachment but I suggest 550 in lb  for a 6 inch to 750 inch pounds for a 8 inch.. would be the smallest I would get.. that is if your healthy  for a hand auger by the way electric brushless drills don't choke you from smoke either. ..

you can use the fin bore or nils till ice gets thick.. then throw the drill in it to save you arms.. but rember the nils heads costs 100 each and basically is the blades of the unit..  to sharpen it is 30 to 40 with shipping.. you got to remember there up keep no matter what you get so keep it in mind..

you can use the cordless other places like around the house or in the shop so it is a added plus .. don't forget batteris cost around $100 for 2 small batteries.  But like said whats the cost of gas and propane and all the up keep..do some figuring and figure out what best suits your self. .

Offline Miller73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Sep 24, 2016, 01:52 PM »
Thank you for the reply ... just what I am looking for.  Quick question... do you see any problems in the really cold weather?
2014-15 was one of the coldest winters I remeber(in my 40s)..never had issues during use of 7-8 hours on the ice at a time. At night, while on Leach Lake or Lake of Woods I took the bottle out of sleeve and brought inside, as it was our main go to auger of the two that we brought on the trip.

Offline juangomer2011

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Sep 24, 2016, 04:02 PM »
I just ordered an Eskimo HC-40 this morning from Amazon. I got a heck of a deal on it, so I'm pretty excited to try it out!

Offline iowapackfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Sep 24, 2016, 06:37 PM »
 ;D Went with an Ion 2 years ago and really love it.  No gas,oil or propane bottles to mess with. Best of all it's QUIET. No spooking fish in shallow water situations. Very light too (22 lbs).
God,Country, and the Green Bay Packers

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Sep 25, 2016, 06:00 AM »
Get a NILS and never look back - I will, as long as I live, never lug a gas auger around again. Done deal
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline sandhillguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Sep 26, 2016, 02:45 AM »
Everyone will have their preference as to what fits them the best, for me I had terrible luck with two strokes, jiffys mostly, nothing worse than an auger you cant get to run when you get out on the ice, used to make me so unbelievably mad. Two years ago I bought the Strikemaster Honda in an 8''. weighs only 23lbs if im right, the string pull on it is ridiculously easy and its Always started on the 1st or 2nd pull for me, even at 10 below. Its a touch quieter than the two strokes I think, its not a speed demon cutting but it does just fine for me, one thing I will say, I have always liked the propane augers, almost bought one even, shortly after I purchased mine I ran into a guy early on a cold morning at one of our lakes. Now im the kind of guy that if im not up to date on a lakes reports ill scout and area and poke a whole bunch of holes (50+) let things settle down a bit and begin fishing. That morning it was about -2 deg and the other fella did the same thing because I wanted to see if his would freeze up, he was sure it wouldn't, even had a full tank with sock and warmer. He made it to about 30 holes and sure enough his froze up and died, I didn't think it would have quit that soon even. Took him a bit to get it going again too. Ive heard from several run and gun guys that continuous drilling on very cold mornings/days will freeze them up quick, something to think about if your a run and gun guy. Another thing to check out is maybe running a Millwakee M18 fuel drill with a 6" auger, ive seen good things from that setup, lightweight and durable, can drill quite a few holes too.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 26, 2016, 03:38 AM »
I run with a Milwaukee M-18 and 6" K-drill, now have 5 batteries, picked up a two pack on sale, two for price of one.  couldn't  be happier  ;D
Bud

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Sep 26, 2016, 09:42 AM »
With your want for gas, I was going to highly recommend the Eskimo HC-40 but it looks like you may have already taken that route. Great choice!

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Sep 27, 2016, 02:24 PM »
I really like the Milwaukee fuel 18v (1200in/lb) with clam drill plate and 8" Mora. I like that its lightweight and drills as many holes as i ever fish in a day. I usually take an extra battery with me and rarely uze it for the auger.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Sep 30, 2016, 09:50 AM »
If you're still considering a gas auger Glen's has the Eskimo Mako 8" on sale for $289.95 with free shipping.    The deal that Miller73 posted is a great deal also.  Both are good machines that work, both have advantages and disadvantages, but if I had to pick one I'd probably lean toward the propane.  The plus side of a gas motor, at least in my area is there's a lot of places that I could get it repaired if I need to and I can get two cycle oil and gas any where.

Here's a link to the deal at Glen's:

http://www.glensoutdoors.com/eskimo-mako-43cc-8in-power-ice-auger.html

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.