Author Topic: Mora blade guard ideas, updated solution ..  (Read 14147 times)

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Mora blade guard ideas, updated solution ..
« on: Sep 20, 2016, 03:10 PM »
Thought I would put this out there...

After over thirty years of dealing with the standard issue red blade cover, I'm finally looking for another option..

Any ideas? Keep in mind, in this case an 8 inch cover is needed.. Aftermarket, or even better, homemade...

They seem to make aftermarket covers for just about anything but the Mora, unless I've missed something..

Thanks my hardwater brethren!!

<°)))>{

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Mora blade guard ideas?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2016, 03:15 PM »
For my 8" Lazer Mag, I have switched over to using the Strikemaster Snap Cap.

http://www.rapala.com/strikemaster/auger-blades-and-guards/power-ice-auger-blades-and-guards/snap-cap-blade-guard/Snap+Cap+Blade+Guard.html

I wonder if it would work on the Mora.  My Mora is a 6-inch, probably not a valid test.

Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2016, 03:20 PM »
For my Lazer Mag, I have switched over to using the Strikemaster Snap Cap.

http://www.rapala.com/strikemaster/auger-blades-and-guards/power-ice-auger-blades-and-guards/snap-cap-blade-guard/Snap+Cap+Blade+Guard.html

I wonder if it would work on the Mora.  My Mora is a 6-inch, probably not a valid test.

(Image removed from quote.)

I've seen those all over but if it worked out for a Mora I think it would be mentioned somewhere...

Thanks for the suggestion!!!

<°)))>{

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2016, 07:33 PM »
A Folgers coffee can overs a 6 inch Mora. Head to the coffee isle with a tape measure and see if one of the nasty tasting brands may come in an 8 inch can.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 20, 2016, 08:33 PM »
A Folgers coffee can overs a 6 inch Mora. Head to the coffee isle with a tape measure and see if one of the nasty tasting brands may come in an 8 inch can.

Funny you mention that, I have a red plastic Folgers can set aside for my 6inch Mora.. Fits perfectly, I learned it on here.. Maybe it was you last season.. Thanks man!!

I was calling around looking for a 8 inch PVC cap, but it seems to be tough to find anything over 6"...

<°)))>{

Offline ronco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2016, 08:02 AM »
Funny you mention that, I have a red plastic Folgers can set aside for my 6inch Mora.. Fits perfectly, I learned it on here.. Maybe it was you last season.. Thanks man!!

I was calling around looking for a 8 inch PVC cap, but it seems to be tough to find anything over 6"...

<°)))>{

Go to a farm supply store or irrigation outlet, we use 6", 8", and 10" PVC pipe for irrigating.
The secret to fishing.....fish where the fish are.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2016, 08:06 AM »
Go to a farm supply store or irrigation outlet, we use 6", 8", and 10" PVC pipe for irrigating.

Didn't think of that route.. Thanks for the idea!!

Tons of farmland around here... Maybe TSC?

<°)))>{

Offline bshirtd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 2016, 08:30 AM »
wegmans has little buckets that I think frosting comes in they fit perfect over an 8" auger......you would need to fashion some sort of securing rope. I just slap it on and run a bungee from the head of my gas auger to the bucket handle...... Just ask next time your there and usually they will just give them to you
its a footrace to the hole

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2016, 09:13 AM »

8 inch pipe pvc cap? Drill two holes across from each other and add a short bungee cord to hold it on?

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2016, 10:19 AM »
I use a 2 gal. bucket with wood blocks to keep the blades from cutting thru the bottom for my 8 inch power auger
Now is the time for all good men and women to engage in the sport of ice fishing

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 21, 2016, 01:12 PM »
I use a 2 gal. bucket with wood blocks to keep the blades from cutting thru the bottom for my 8 inch power auger

Might go that route, seems 8" PVC caps are at least $20!

Thanks for all the suggestions fellas!

<°)))>{

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 21, 2016, 01:35 PM »
Hey there is always the dollar store see what they got that you can use??

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 21, 2016, 01:42 PM »
Hey there is always the dollar store see what they got that you can use??

Never know... I'll keep that in mind too..

Thanks!

<°)))>{

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Sep 21, 2016, 07:39 PM »
What's wrong with the red plastic Mora guards? I have a 6" and an 8" that I have been using for years. I don't see how a bucket or a coffee can is an improvement...(?)

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 21, 2016, 08:27 PM »
What's wrong with the red plastic Mora guards? I have a 6" and an 8" that I have been using for years. I don't see how a bucket or a coffee can is an improvement...(?)

I have one with the built in tab on my 6 inch that I actually like.. But I just bought a "like new" used 8 incher that has the black rubber thing which I don't like, and it's already cracked.. They cost $14, which is too much IMO for how well they hold up...

I ended up getting a 2 gallon bucket that I think will work really well with a little bit of modification..

I'll post a pic once it's together..

Thanks again everyone for the ideas!

Also feel free to post any other alternatives if anyone has any...

<°)))>{

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 21, 2016, 08:54 PM »
i

When I'd put my auger in the back of my voyager shack when pulling out the guard would slip off and the blades cut up a nice canvas creel bag.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 21, 2016, 08:56 PM »
I have one with the built in tab on my 6 inch that I actually like.. But I just bought a "like new" used 8 incher that has the black rubber thing which I don't like, and it's already cracked.. They cost $14, which is too much IMO for how well they hold up...

I ended up getting a 2 gallon bucket that I think will work really well with a little bit of modification..

I'll post a pic once it's together..

Thanks again everyone for the ideas!

Also feel free to post any other alternatives if anyone has any...

<°)))>{

I was so frustrated with the cover I used the kit off of eBay to make it a lazer and put a cold snap cover on it.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 21, 2016, 09:02 PM »
I was so frustrated with the cover I used the kit off of eBay to make it a lazer and put a cold snap cover on it.

That'll work too, I like that cold snap cover concept!!

Its really just that I can sharpen my own mora blades.. I'm pretty sure I can sharpen lazers too, and have once.. But it has never been tested yet lol.. Lazers are way more complex and harder to sharpen too, with my tools anyway..

<°)))>{

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Sep 22, 2016, 07:36 AM »
Thanks for enlightening me. I don't travel for fishing, just stay on the same chain of lakes by my place. My augers go from the garage to the atv rack, and they stay there all winter. I can see that it would be a problem if the cover comes off in your vehicle. Good day!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 24, 2016, 04:23 PM »
This is what I came up with..

Paracord and springs to keep it tight.. The flight angles inwards towards the shaft so it can't slip off either..

A couple blue stripes with electrical tape so I can see it against the snow..

We'll see how long it lasts..

<°)))>{

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Sep 24, 2016, 06:19 PM »
Nice should be real easy to use now!!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Sep 24, 2016, 07:50 PM »
Nice should be real easy to use now!!

Thanks man!

Easy to use was a goal, not that the red ones are tough to use, they sometimes seem like it..

I went with the springs and rope, because it seems like those rope type of bungee cords always lose their stretch..

Still want to do something to protect the bottom of the bucket, and probably put some drain holes in it as well..

<°)))>{

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #22 on: Sep 25, 2016, 07:48 AM »
Scratch - If the auger doesn't have a point on it, cut a piece of plywood in a circle to fit the bottom of the bucket as a blade guard, mine has a point and ring-I cut a 2x4 rounded
     to fit the bucket contour, it protects the bucket bottom from the blades and keeps the point off the bottom as well
Now is the time for all good men and women to engage in the sport of ice fishing

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Sep 25, 2016, 08:44 AM »
Would it help to put a round piece of plywood on the bottom of the bucket? Might help keep the plastic from cracking when it's cold. Ski
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Sep 25, 2016, 09:58 AM »
Yeah no point on mora augers..

I have a bunch of five gallon bucket lids that seem pretty thick. Might cut it out of one of those..

Plywood just seems like it's going to want to hold water don't you think so?

<°)))>{

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Sep 25, 2016, 05:51 PM »
Yeah, didn't think of that. How about a couple of "drain holes"?
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Sep 25, 2016, 06:17 PM »
Yeah, didn't think of that. How about a couple of "drain holes"?

Yeah for sure...

<°)))>{

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #27 on: Sep 25, 2016, 07:01 PM »
But I just bought a "like new" used 8 incher that has the black rubber thing which I don't like, and it's already cracked..

<°)))>{

The stock black "bungees" are horrible and you're lucky to get 2 full seasons without breaking one. I successfully replace them with 3/8" bungee from our camping supply store. Just buy in bulk by the foot and keep some around. I repaired some ice cleats (Arctic Spurs) with it and they have lasted for years. I don't even know how long I've had the repair on the auger cover. At it's simplest you can just tie an overhand knot in the appropriate place leaving a tag end to pull on and fasten/defasten with.

This is the bungee that has the nylon outer covering and the multiple bands inside. Very, very durable, cheap, easy to work with and infinitely customizeable. If I read you right it's not so much the cover but the rubber strap that is the issue. No?
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Sep 25, 2016, 07:21 PM »
If I read you right it's not so much the cover but the rubber strap that is the issue. No?

Yeah, not a fan of the covers that have the black rubber band thing..

The stuff you are getting at the camping store might be called shock cord...

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Oct 23, 2016, 05:15 PM »
I think I like this better than the bucket..

PVC Made the cuts with the sliding miter, spooky..

<°)))>{

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.