Author Topic: What gear do you feel is actually worth the price tag?  (Read 4580 times)

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What gear do you feel is actually worth the price tag?
« Reply #60 on: Sep 24, 2016, 05:45 PM »
What are some of things you find not worth the price tag then?

Underwater camera, ION auger , over priced rods , any flasher over $400, well ok $450

Offline JiggingIowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Sep 24, 2016, 10:50 PM »
I've never used one, but have heard from several people the same feeling on the underwater cameras

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Sep 25, 2016, 11:11 AM »
Was just playing around in my ice fishing cave of gear, and it got me thinking just how much money I've spent on all the different gear. Gear that was suppose to be better only to find out it wasn't really a big deal, and that I was just has happy with the reasonable price gear. So let's see some post on your experience and thoughts on stuff for others guys.
  That's really a great question. Generally, I like to think of myself as a pretty level headed guy but when it comes to ice fishing I can get very stupid and dreamy. The responses to your thread are interesting. Guys believe in their suits, boots and Vexilars. Guess it all depends on where you are and how you like to fish. Personally, I leave about 60% of my ice fishing gear at home. Been at it over 35 years so I've accumulated a lot of junk from half baked enthusiasms. As for what's good value I'd say:
Kahtoola ice spikes-- spendy but worth it.
Pflueger President reels-- learned about them on this forum. Now I leave my Shimanos at home.
Nils hand auger-- I've used all brands and these are tops. I only use it for early season up to 12" ice and then go to "Little Pokey", my famous IceGator powerhead mounted over an 8" LazerMag w/ rippers. Way overkill but it shuts people up.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline HardWater518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Sep 25, 2016, 06:14 PM »
Well most people on here have hit the nail on the head. Favorites are:
Vexilar- started with an FL-8 and now have a newer model that I haven't tried yet
Floating ice suit- makes fishing on 4" a little less nerve racking
ION auger- love it. converted it last season though. Took the 8" bit off and put a 6" lazer bit on it, no modifications needed. Much more holes
Clam flip over shanty- use to have a 1 man but gave that to my son and now have what is called a 1 1/2 man. More room to put my sh*t in lol

Offline sandhillguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Sep 26, 2016, 02:31 AM »
After falling through the ice a couple times when by myself, I have to say that eskimo spud bar I bought a couple seasons ago has been my best purchase, a good stiff jab will run it through 4'' of ice, and as long as its good clear ice I feel safe on that. There were a couple times last year that due to some drifting, thawing and refreezing on first of season ice that im glad I had it, was trekking on ice that could go from 6'' to 1'' in just a couple feet, had it not been for that bar I may have gotten myself in a bad spot. My next best is probably my Cabelas Saskatchewan Pac boots, first boot ive found to keep my feet warm all day, nothing worse than cold feet for me.

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #65 on: Sep 26, 2016, 04:00 AM »
Enjoy reading all the replys...good stuff!
Throw rope, safety picks, spud bar....cheap insurance, takes up very little space.
Floatation suit
Eskimo 949i
Marcum Showdown 5.6 dual beam. Had 4 of us in the Eskimo last year lake trout fishing and we all could see where we were in the water column....that was a blast!
Marcum LX5 added for this season....Old Goat helped me out with this one... :thumbsup:
JawJackers?....$40 is a little steep....can make several for that price....but they worked well
Smitty sleds

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Sep 26, 2016, 12:47 PM »
Anyone know if a Little Buddy heater can be mounted on a 5 gal. tank?

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Sep 26, 2016, 12:53 PM »

Anything that runs on a 1lb tank can be run on a 5lb+ tank with the right adapter hose a recommended filter...

<°)))>{

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Sep 26, 2016, 02:11 PM »

Could try one of these they come in 15 and 30 inch lengths plus 5 pounder height.  I know it will work...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stansport-Distribution-Post-2-Piece-3-Outlet-Distribution-Post/10899101

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #69 on: Sep 26, 2016, 04:26 PM »
My bud hooks his 20 lb tank in a rack on his snowmobile to a hose right to his buddy heater , so a 5 ,or 11 could be used

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Sep 26, 2016, 04:36 PM »
My bud hooks his 20 lb tank in a rack on his snowmobile to a hose right to his buddy heater

He's got a.little buddy not a regular  buddy  or big buddy haters after that being said how would you hook that hose to a little buddy heater?? Sure can do it the way you said with a regular buddy or big buddy heaters but not the little buddy.. by the way the little buddy is just as strong as the regular buddy heater on setting one kinda point less to own it.. now if you want to adjust Temps check out the texsport sportmate heater which is adjustable from low to high and is 3000 btu's max .. but that's personal what some one wants and what some one gets .. some time it does not help guiding the horse to water.. lol's

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #71 on: Sep 26, 2016, 07:05 PM »
Your right on the little buddy CW

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Sep 26, 2016, 07:13 PM »
A hose will connect to a little buddy heater too, but how to mount the heater or stand it up is the real issue..

<°)))>{

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #73 on: Sep 26, 2016, 07:16 PM »

I guess you could build a stand

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Sep 26, 2016, 08:21 PM »
it works on a little buddy

I need to buy a spud bar this year

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #75 on: Sep 26, 2016, 08:47 PM »
Potatoe , good little spud and reasonably price is the red neck chisel by Eskimo around $18.00   And it won't wear your arm out

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Sep 28, 2016, 07:50 AM »
I just picked up the Eskimo spud bar. It's the one that has a gaffe built into it. It also collapses down when you push the button. Really nice to be able to easily collapse it and stow it away. Best $20 I've spent in awhile. Last season was very sketchy ice. I didn't have a spud bar. Most local shops were sold out or never stocked any. I hated drilling holes every few feet to check the ice as I walked out.
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.