Author Topic: What gear do you feel is actually worth the price tag?  (Read 4576 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Was just playing around in my ice fishing cave of gear, and it got me thinking just how much money I've spent on all the different gear. Gear that was suppose to be better only to find out it wasn't really a big deal, and that I was just has happy with the reasonable price gear. So let's see some post on your experience and thoughts on stuff for others guys.

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What gear do you feel is actually worth the price tag?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2016, 07:04 PM »
My LX-7 and Striker suit are completely worth the prices I paid (after sale prices and discounts of course). Nothing has improved the number of fish I land as much as a flasher or given me (and the wife) as much peace of mind for safety as a floating suit.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2016, 07:08 PM »
I would have to say without a doubt my muck arctic pro boots have been worth every penny. I have cold feet in the middle of summer and have always had trouble keeping my feet warm. They have no trouble doing that and they are literally 100% waterproof. Even wore them steelhead fishing standing in the river up to  about an inch below the cuff of the boot, about 4 hours. 100% dry and warm feet. I've only had them since the middle of last ice season but they are the best piece of footware I've ever owned.

Also, my kahtoola micro spikes. Worth every penny for safe reliable traction. At 6' 250#, I can't afford to slip and hurt myself, I'm not worried one bit about slips and falls while wearing my kahtoola's. Coupled with my mucks, cold/wet feet and slipping on the ice is a thing of the past! I couldn't ask for a better setup.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2016, 07:39 PM »
Little booties for my golden retriever.  He's not a pup anymore and when the temperature hit zero a couple years ago he didn't like the snow on his paws.  Last year, with the booties, he was playing like a puppy at -20.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2016, 07:51 PM »
Good afordable reel like shimano's..compared to that junk ht brand sells

but Scholls rods and reels are good old stand the test of time goodNess that works well and are cheap...

then there is stuff like rods I find I do better with those white fiber glass rods I built that I put good spinning eyes on.. they dont break like st Croix does and I have landed more fish on it then any of my st Croix rods..

augers like nils versus mora for easily drilling holes versus having to struggle all the way threw the hole.. on a mora spoon auger.. 

Then there is shanties like insulated versus  non insulated I like my insulated better  same with boots coats gloves etc..

Heaters I went with the big buddy heater in my insulated pop up but when I look back on it any thing to organize a bucket is not worth it unless I built it.. some things are worth it while others are not.. cause you can't use them or don't cause to heavy to carry so I minimize my gear.. so I don't get bogged down but some stuff Is nessary like auger rods bucket .. were others are not needed.  Like cup holders or even tip up organizers ,coolers etc but they do make life easier.. like hub shanties ,heaters, And fish finders etc..

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2016, 08:05 PM »
Compared to my old Mora, I would pay double for my Nils.  My Lowrance M68C has increase my catch rate exponentially.  Would fish without it, but my confidence would be lacking.
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2016, 08:46 PM »
Compared to the price of the green 1lb tanks, my 5lb and 10lb tanks are worth their weight in gold!! My 5lb tank only costs less than $2.50 to fill, the same amount of propane using green 1lb tanks $20!

<°)))>{

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 19, 2016, 08:47 PM »
So you guys with the nils. Did you find it worth it because you hand drill holes with the offset handle.

To be honest, I had an Eskimo shaver auger that I later put the adaptor on to make it into a lazer. Then I sold it to a buddy and bought a nils. I ran all of them with a Milwaukee drill on a clam plate. They all cut holes and did fine. Honestly if I had it to do all over I would have just kept and ran whatever auger I had on hand.. I mean the nils is nice, but on my clam plate setup it doesn't really matter they all cut a nice hole without much work. I just found the lazer blades and nils to be more expensive to buy & sharpen. I've got an 8in nils & and a spare 8in nils power point cutting head I'm thinking about selling with a clam plate adaptor. I will admit the nils and lazer do cut fast.

I'm guessing if a guy hand drilled holes it would set itself apart.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 19, 2016, 08:50 PM »
Compared to the price of the green 1lb tanks, my 5lb and 10lb tanks are worth their weight in gold!! My 5lb tank only costs less than $2.50 to fill, the same amount of propane using green 1lb tanks $20!

<°)))>{

I refill the green 1# tanks off a 20. Fill about 40 of them at the start of winter. The refill adaptor from mr heater paid for itself 10x over. I do use my 5lb and 10lb tanks quite a bit.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 19, 2016, 09:11 PM »
Yes the off set handle is 1000 times more worth it..  oh ya if you think the nils in a 8 inch is good what about a drill aND a  7 inch mora throw on a mora to laser adaptor and run laser blades..

that's is if your looking for a auger that won't bind at the end of the hole like a 8 inch laser will..and still have room to pull pike threw it and walleyes, bass, trout,and etc..

the laser blade cost 7.50 to 20 to sharpen if you can get it done locally for like 7.50 then your that much better off...

compared to the nils and it's high maintenance price tag.. 100 for a auger head and 30 to sharpen it every year just Is not worth it... I got three heads for mine one un used.. I paid 69.99 for 2 of them ...  and 150 for the auger..

any how that off set handle is so worth it for effortless cutting main reason I bought a 6 inch off set handle mora.. and am in the process of converting it to laser blades if using a drill convert a mora to laser for sure then use handle for if the battery dies...

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 19, 2016, 09:18 PM »
I refill the green 1# tanks off a 20. Fill about 40 of them at the start of winter. The refill adaptor from mr heater paid for itself 10x over. I do use my 5lb and 10lb tanks quite a bit.

I bought a big buddy heater that can run two 20#tanks at once it has a regulator hose that connects from a quick connect..  well any how my point is be careful refilling those one pounders..  seen and read about a few people that had them explode on them the #1cylinder bottles did.. cause the tanks went bad expired in other words cracked and exploded.. hence why I do the propane exchange and use the bulk hose and tank..

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 19, 2016, 09:41 PM »
Yes the off set handle is 1000 times more worth it..  oh ya if you think the nils in a 8 inch is good what about a drill a 7 inch mora throw on a mora to laser adaptor and run laser blades..

that's is if your looking for a auger that won't bind at the end of the hole like a 8 inch laser will..and still have room to pull pike threw it and walleyes, bass, trout,and etc..

the laser blade cost 7.50 to 20 to sharpen if you can get it done locally for like 7.50 then your that much better off...

compared to the nils and it's high maintenance price tag.. 100 for a auger head and 30 to sharpen it every year just Is not worth it... I got three heads for mine one un used.. I paid 69.99 for 2 of them ...  and 150 for the auger..

any how that off set handle is so worth it for effortless cutting main reason I bought a 6 inch off set handle mora.. and am in the process of converting it to laser blades if using a drill convert a mora to laser for sure then use handle for if the battery dies...

Yeah the Eskimo was a 7in shaver I turned into a 7in lazer it was a beast. I thought I had to get the nils from cabelas for $125 shipped and picked up a used freshly sharpened nils power point for $40 off craigslist. Sharpened by the legendary frank deluca to. Lol. I used my jiffy model 30 mostly last year since it was mounted on my 4 wheeler. So the nils only got used early ice, but now with my ice castle I'll be cutting a lot more ice with it. Sounds like $45 a pop to have the cutting head sent/sharpened/returned........not sure what to think of that. I can buy a brand new shaver style auger for that.......

I just notice that on the clam plate the nils is a lot heavier built auger and just seems to add weight vs the other hand augers.  Think I might try to find a used 8in lazer of craigslist to put on it, since the lazer augers can have a nice cold snap cover on the blades. The shaver blade covers suck and I had it cut up a canvas creel in the portable when the cover would come off.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 19, 2016, 09:58 PM »
In my opinion, the price ($250 MSRP) of latest generation FX-100 for a one man flip is unbeatable for price/weight/durability...

Striker products are actually pretty much priceless too...

<°)))>{

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #13 on: Sep 19, 2016, 09:58 PM »
I bought a big buddy heater that can run two 20#tanks at once it has a regulator hose that connects from a quick connect..  well any how my point is be careful refilling those one pounders..  seen and read about a few people that had them explode on them the #1cylinder bottles did.. cause the tanks went bad expired in other words cracked and exploded.. hence why I do the propane exchange and use the bulk hose and tank..

10-4 on the refills, I do it outside & weigh them on a scale. Also toss rusty tanks & replace with ones in good condition I find at the lakes and accesses. Never seem to be short finding any. I went from 2 milk crates to filling 3 crates after last season. That's after I threw out the bad ones. I find I toss about 9 tanks a year & pick up about 18 empty tanks a year on the ice.

I tried a big buddy heater and had really bad luck with it. First one the threads got cross threaded putting on a tank. Got it replaced and the thing would blow out and never started for crap. It took up a bunch of room in the tub & shack. Didn't heat all that well. I Hated it so bad I gave it away after it took a tumble out the back of a truck, and went to a MR. Heater cooker couldn't be happier now. The guy I gave it to about 7-8yrs ago said it has worked perfect and he never had one issue with it.....go figure. Guess the tumble fixed something.

Offline JiggingIowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Sep 19, 2016, 10:06 PM »
Vexilar-18: though I run a 28, I think the 18 is the best value to features in the fleet
Trekker insulated ice shack: at 52 lbs, fully insulated and on sale under $300, worth every penny
Striker predator ice suit: can fish outside all day and feel safe while doing it, worth it's weight in gold to me
Honorable mentions:
Big buddy heater with 8lb tank
Nils 6in auger
Hard case for rods and tackle
Tungsten wolfram jigs

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 19, 2016, 10:20 PM »
Pretty much any spud bar fits this category...

<°)))>{

Offline Erazorhead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Sep 19, 2016, 10:27 PM »
Marcum LX-5 and Fenwick Aetos ice rod. I really like the Frabill 371 reel but it's a bit too expensive with that not too smooth drag at the start up.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 20, 2016, 12:24 AM »
Almost forgot Schooleys!

<°)))>{

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Sep 20, 2016, 02:25 AM »
I have to say my Artic Armor flotation suit was the best item worth the money spent.
Wolfram jigs are next. There sticky sharp hooks are amazing and worth the money.
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 20, 2016, 03:57 AM »
. Sounds like $45 a pop to have the cutting head sent/sharpened/returned........not sure what to think of that. I can buy a brand new shaver style auger for that.......

Been thinking same my self.. even though it is a really good auger it is expensive...  Basically all the nils is a laser with a off set handle....

blade vs. Blade  they cut the same I think.. till you add in those so called ice breaking bars they put on the 8 inch laser..and 7 inch lasers then the auger binds at the end of the hole..

that why if you get a mora or Eskimo and convert it your better off... I am thinking you take the handle off a nils or laser they cut the same on a drill. . At that point its all about torque from the dill.. 

Me I think they would destroy gear boxes on the clam plate with  8 inch laser or 7 inch laser..
 that's why those conversions are a big hit.. mora to laser etc..cause they don't have those ice breaking bars..

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Sep 20, 2016, 05:28 AM »
My tanaka (nils)hand screws 4&6",  my striker suit , micro spikes , and my flasher and graphs , the adapter to fill my 1# tanks that I use in my 1 man , thermal tent I bought for my 08-X2 ,and my 1 man Kenai pro thermal last year for a great price

Offline Caseman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Sep 20, 2016, 05:54 AM »
I would definitely say my striker ice suit.  I wish I would have got the lighter jacket because it is way to warm in the shack.   But that's a good problem I guess.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Sep 20, 2016, 09:20 AM »
Yeti 30 oz. cup. Used every day.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Sep 20, 2016, 10:14 AM »
My........... Vexilar FL18 ...since 2003 keeps on going ...gets me on fish and keeps me moving

Kahtoolas ...I've had many "ice creepers" ...hands down the best for me/back hardly know they're on

Tungsten ....Jumped on the band wagon last year ..heavy for their weight ...adds to the action I'm a convert

Muck Artic.....stomp through slush like never before ..slip on and off.. no laces priceless ..warm

Ice fishing suit ...I started with the Clam blue suit and now have an SI Climate and Predator jacket and       
                                          Climate bibs...the cut/fit design made for the ice fisherman ..no hut need most days
                                           beats your snow suit ...hunting gear... its the right tool for the job
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Sep 20, 2016, 11:42 AM »
So you guys with the nils. Did you find it worth it because you hand drill holes with the offset handle.

Exactly right.  I live in the lower part of the ice belt and on a good year we get maybe 10-12" of ice.  On average, it is around 6".  No walleyes or pike in the farm ponds either, so I only need a 6" hole (cats can be a bit of a challenge sometimes).  If I lived 200 miles north, I would be chasing walleye and would own a gas or electric auger.  Until that happens, I am happy chasing bull 'gills and crappie with my 6" Nils.  Cuts ice like butter.
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Sep 20, 2016, 12:02 PM »
My...........
                 Tungsten ....Jumped on the band wagon last year ..heavy for their weight ...adds to the action I'm a convert

Add this to my list.  Love the benefit of bombing tungsten jigs during a hot bluegill bite.

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Sep 20, 2016, 01:13 PM »
Digger Auger Mount.  I love knowing that my auger is not bouncing around when I'm hole hopping.
Rippin' Lips and Jerkin' Jaws

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Sep 20, 2016, 01:15 PM »
Eskimo Mako auger - looks and runs like the day I bought it back in 2003.
Showdown Dual Beam - works as advertised and has given me lots of information and increased my catch a lot.
Omni Tech Super Stud Sandal Cleat - the most comfortable cleats I've ever worn and the studs are replaceable.
Striker Hardwater suit - VERY warm, heavy duty material, and the peace of mind that they float.
Eskimo I949 pop-up shelter - Breaks the wind very well, warm, no condensation issues, and blacks out the light very well.
Jet Sled XL - Heavy duty and hauls all my gear no problem.
Eskimo Redneck One piece ice chisel - Great for checking for safe ice, reopens holes easily, and reasonably priced.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Sep 20, 2016, 01:39 PM »

<°)))>{

Yep, I have an 11lb tank that I use all year round. Great for tailgating at concerts and ball games. The other thing is my Clam BigFoot 4000XT. Knowing what I know now I would pay double for the value of that thing. It's amazing.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline rbalkevitch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Sep 20, 2016, 02:04 PM »

To be honest, I had an Eskimo shaver auger that I later put the adaptor on to make it into a lazer. Then I sold it to a buddy and bought a nils. I ran all of them with a Milwaukee drill on a clam plate. They all cut holes and did fine. Honestly if I had it to do all over I would have just kept and ran whatever auger I had on hand.. I mean the nils is nice, but on my clam plate setup it doesn't really matter they all cut a nice hole without much work. I just found the lazer blades and nils to be more expensive to buy & sharpen. I've got an 8in nils & and a spare 8in nils power point cutting head I'm thinking about selling with a clam plate adaptor. I will admit the nils and lazer do cut fast.

I am a hand driller.  I will never buy anything other than a nils.  Even so, i have noticed that the blade has lasted me about 3 times as many holes as my eskimo, however, the nils blades cost more too.  So i would say it comes down to having to sharpen less/ buy less blades, and much much less muscle to hand drill a hole.
A wise man once said nothing. Rob~

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.