New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Permanent shanty question???  (Read 4415 times)

Offline RaCKaHoLIC518

• Team IceShanty Regular
Permanent shanty question???
« on: Sep 18, 2016, 09:02 PM »
So I just finished my permament shanty that i started building last year but stopped putting time and money into it because of the crappy weather. Now that is finished i have a question. It is built on a old camper trailer frame that i do not have paperwork for. Does the trailer need to be registered to transport the shanty to lake??? I'm sure someone knows the answer to this question here, thanks y'all.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Permanent shanty question???
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18, 2016, 09:10 PM »
I would call DMV on that one to be sure...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline RaCKaHoLIC518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2016, 03:13 PM »
Will do

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2016, 07:37 PM »
I think you answered your own question .
Any trailer that is towed needs to be registered .
You can take a carbon scribe ( paper over serial # with pencil ) of the serial number to dmv and they will run a check to see if it reported stolen or last registered .
Then you need to go through all new paper work . This process may take awhile .
Other option is to register it as homemade . You will have to have it weighed on a certified scale ( truck stop )
. Either way it's going to be a process that will most likely require a few trips to dmv.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2016, 04:23 AM »
Not totally true. It may fall into the equipment category, in which case it may not need a registration. Towable equipment not intended for transport of material or goods need not be registered.

It may also fall into a travel trailer catatgory, in which case it would need a registration. I don't know how it is where you live, but around here the DMV offices are pretty helpful. I've never had any issues.

They'll tell you what you need.
Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2016, 05:27 PM »
Really ?
It is hooked to a vehicle and towed over the highway .
Unless it is used for farm purpose , it needs a registration as over the road .
It was before registered as a camper , why should it be different now ( needing a registration ?
Good luck   

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2016, 05:42 PM »
Yup.....really!

In my former working life, my employees towed all sorts of lifts and equipment over the road. Only the hauling trailers for the scissor lifts needed a registration. Regardless of what the frame was used for in the past, the shanty as it sits now is a different animal.

I'm sure DMV will decide what it's classification is.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 2016, 05:43 PM »
Not totally true. It may fall into the equipment category, in which case it may not need a registration. Towable equipment not intended for transport of material or goods need not be registered.

It may also fall into a travel trailer catatgory, in which case it would need a registration. I don't know how it is where you live, but around here the DMV offices are pretty helpful. I've never had any issues.

They'll tell you what you need.
Rg

I was thinking along those lines too.. Just like an air compressor or a log splitter doesn't need a plate to tow somewhere else.. Around here if it'd considered a tool, it doesn't need to be registered..  Put an air compressor inside it and you're all set! Its was a shanty I converted into a weather proof air compressor!

<°)))>{

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2016, 05:45 PM »
Section 156, NYS DMV.

Rg

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #9 on: Sep 22, 2016, 10:56 AM »
This is true and why you don't have to reg air compressors ect as mentioned.  DMV considers these things accessories.  So it will depend on the size of your shelter if your tail lights/turn signals are easily visible from behind you will be ok.  If what you are towing restricts visibility to the rear lights on your vehicle, it will be considered a trailer and need to be registered
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline RaCKaHoLIC518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 14, 2016, 08:27 AM »
Ok... So here's the deal. Trailer weighs over 1000# and also blocks lights from vehicle. As much as i like the air compressor idea, it's not gonna fly. Talked to DMV and I have to register the trailer. I'm not going to register a trailer to pull 2x a year to and from the lake. So I will either take my chances with a "universal plate" or orange triangle and hope for the best. Thanks for the input!

Offline MooseKnuckleVI

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 14, 2016, 11:04 AM »
just swap a plate over from another trailer. done....If you get stopped just play dumb and tell them you musta got the plates messed up between all the trailers you own. done that many times but have yet to be stopped and checked. doesnt sound like youre going too far or often so screw the state. they make it too hard to stay legal.

Offline tarmstrong24

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't see that from your couch!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 17, 2016, 07:45 AM »
is it small enough to put onto another trailer and just tow it to your spot and drop it off?  I mean if you were going to just do the plate swap I probably wouldn't have posted it on a public forum!   ;D ;D

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 17, 2016, 09:07 AM »
It appears a criminal mindset is a way of life in NY. Intentionally breaking DMV laws, scheming dishonest ways to get around laws (air compressor), swap plate over from another unit. A dishonest mind in one arena will also be dishonest in others. Does this indicate keeping fish outside limits, size, species, trespassing private land to get to a lake because is more convenient and hoping to get away with is also an OK mindset in NY? Man UP and do what is right.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 17, 2016, 09:33 AM »
It appears a criminal mindset is a way of life in NY. Intentionally breaking DMV laws, scheming dishonest ways to get around laws (air compressor), swap plate over from another unit. A dishonest mind in one arena will also be dishonest in others. Does this indicate keeping fish outside limits, size, species, trespassing private land to get to a lake because is more convenient and hoping to get away with is also an OK mindset in NY? Man UP and do what is right.
Pretty broad brush there. Hard to be humble I'm sure.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Oct 18, 2016, 03:46 PM »

Well, best you stay where you are with that attitude. That is, judging indiscriminately. All must be pure white snow and clean consciences in East Bethel. Lucky you!

Rg

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 18, 2016, 04:09 PM »
Well, best you stay where you are with that attitude. That is, judging indiscriminately. All must be pure white snow and clean consciences in East Bethel. Lucky you!

Rg
Well said Rg  :thumbsup:

Offline thecreature

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 19, 2016, 07:58 AM »
No paper work means you have to tow it to a certified scale to get it weighed in order to register it as homemade. It is legal to tow it to the scale and back with no plate. Maybe you will end up dropping it off at the lake "on the way to the scale"? Also, if it weighs over 1000lbs you will need insurance on it if you register it....

Offline RaCKaHoLIC518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 19, 2016, 08:09 AM »
I do find it hard for you to judge someone for swapping a plate or using no plate at all. It makes absolutely no sense to have to register a permanent shanty that will be towed on the road twice a year, to the lake and home. It's not like DMV will give you a break because it's only being towed to and from. Just because someone might do this doesn't mean they trespass, fish illegal, etc. as you accuse. I guess no one does this in MN. 

Offline RaCKaHoLIC518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Oct 19, 2016, 08:14 AM »
 :thumbsup:

Rg

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 19, 2016, 09:23 AM »

Wow, what a wonderful world you live in to have no discretions in your life... If I roll the stop sign on the dead end road I live on or break the speed limit on the way to the lake that must mean I'll disrespect people and tresspass their property too right? Or poach  all the fish in the lake, because that's the same as a traffic violation right? And don't forget all the bunnies I intend to run over on the way there too, because that's the same right? I could go on but I have to get going so I'll have time to mug an old lady on the way to the lake because that's what a miserable human being that would consider committing a traffic offence would do right?
Enjoy your perfect day in your perfect world...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Oct 19, 2016, 02:58 PM »
Never had to provide separate insurance for a trailer. Auto insurance is sufficient to my knowledge. Might be different for campers and such. Don't know for sure....never owned one. Just boat and utility trailers.

Rg

Offline thecreature

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 20, 2016, 08:37 AM »
I just registered a homemade utility trailer in NY about 2 weeks ago. You need to get it weighed on a NYS certified scale and bring that slip to the DMV. If the weight is over 1000lbs you need insurance on it.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Oct 20, 2016, 06:17 PM »
Ah....I was thinking about the trailer with the boat on it. Just the trailer wouldn't weigh near that much. None of my utility trailers weighed that much either. Guess bigger isn't always better eh?  ;D

Rg

luv2fish2

« Reply #24 on: Oct 20, 2016, 07:21 PM »
i have 5 trailers registered one of them is over 11,000 gvw (camper)one equip 10,000  never been asked for proof of insurance on any of them just inspection .I think if its registered for over 1k or 1.5k needs brakes thats all i know  ???

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 21, 2016, 07:31 AM »
i have 5 trailers registered one of them is over 11,000 gvw (camper)one equip 10,000  never been asked for proof of insurance on any of them just inspection .I think if its registered for over 1k or 1.5k needs brakes thats all i know  ???

Brakes are required on trailers with a GVWR of 3000 pounds and above... Federal DOT requirements, not a state thing.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

luv2fish2

« Reply #26 on: Oct 21, 2016, 09:35 AM »
thanks for clarifying

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Oct 21, 2016, 05:17 PM »
All I can say is you are all lucky Trapper has not found this thread yet. ;D ;D

If you tell him....I'm coming looking for you Jim ;D

Rg

Offline RaCKaHoLIC518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Oct 23, 2016, 08:21 AM »
Yo Rg,

No fear my friend. I  just might rattle his chain though on the cormorants. That's good for 4 pages of dialogue. Anywho, back to the issue . I guess it's come down to the moral issue rather than the issue of interpretation of motor vehicle requirements. Should we "Render unto Caesar that which  is Caesar's" or not. Decidedly so, interpreting vehicular statutes although difficult at times , can be clarified by a simple trip to the motor vehicle office.

I for one was amazed at all the requirements for my permanent shanty once I made the decision to build one. About identification on the ice, set dates to remove from the ice, reflectors on all four corners etc, etc. I too was considering placing wheels on my shanty, but opted to put mine on old down hill skis over pressure treated 2X6 's. I then only had to struggle to get the shanty up on my snowmobile trailer and off at the Pond every season. My trailer was already legal, hence, no problemo. Good luck rackaholic, I hope you get to enjoy your home on the ice as I have for many years.

Post Script: Caesar needs the money, NYS is going broke. Haven't you heard. We are not paying our "fair share "
Thank you sir! You hit the nail on the head. Is it morally wrong for me to tow it without registration? Absolutely. Is NYS morally wrong about the way NYS is run? Absolutely. So an eye for an eye my friend.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Oct 24, 2016, 05:00 AM »
Any person who complains about potitics or politicians should be required by law to run for office, be elected and serve the public.

While there's a slim chance they might make things better, they'll most likely only learn some valuable life lessons.

Let's face it......if you wallow with the pigs........you're gonna get dirty.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.