The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Bait for winter  (Read 4795 times)

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
Re: Bait for winter
« Reply #30 on: Oct 20, 2016, 04:11 PM »

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Oct 20, 2016, 07:26 PM »
We have always started our season off by putting our bait into a cooler and running a bubblier

...and then when we get enough ice, we put a barrel into the pond and let the water flow thru it

with the water in the pond being way down this year, I might have to try out my plan C this year

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
« Reply #32 on: Oct 21, 2016, 08:40 PM »
Does wind chill really effect freezing ?🎤
How they biten

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Oct 21, 2016, 09:45 PM »
Does wind chill really effect freezing ?🎤

Do you got a question on wind chill?? Same reason homes use it to factor in heating capacity for furnaces.. wind swept areas work just like a conveyor system the heat is moved away  because of wind..  kinda like how an a/c system take heat from the building and moves it out side  with the freon  cycling in a ac system.. the freon pick up heat from the inside the building and in the condenser remove the heat out side the building with the condenor fan the heat is removed .. now look at a building it has lot of surface area when wind whips across it will transfer the heat to the air.. or blown away with wind same with a barrel of water if wind gets to It enough it will cool off faster...  it all has to do with laws like lenze law boils law etc..this is a couple of the them.. they are all about heat transfer.. this is some thing I belive in cause I deal with it with some of the college degrees I have..

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Oct 25, 2016, 08:22 AM »
OK Weekend project almost complete. built frame around stock tank. this is under the porch. Used 2" foam insulation. Also constructed an insulated cover. Used bathroom plastic sheeting for wind break all around and top. 294 GPH pump and a filter. currently just have a hose breaking the surface of the water. I was thinking of adding a spray bar vs having to use a separate air pump. I saw  on Utube where someone inserted a 1/4" hose to the output hose that created tiny air bubbles. tried that - no tiny air bubbles. thoughts?   

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Oct 25, 2016, 11:40 AM »
OK Weekend project almost complete. built frame around stock tank. this is under the porch. Used 2" foam insulation. Also constructed an insulated cover. Used bathroom plastic sheeting for wind break all around and top. 294 GPH pump and a filter. currently just have a hose breaking the surface of the water. I was thinking of adding a spray bar vs having to use a separate air pump. I saw  on Utube where someone inserted a 1/4" hose to the output hose that created tiny air bubbles. tried that - no tiny air bubbles. thoughts?

the tube needs to be inserted at an angle running along the direction of flow in order to pull in the air... how far it is inserted makes a difference and gives you an adjustment... it works quite well when done properly... salt water bait tanks have been using them for years.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline gola yona

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Oct 25, 2016, 04:41 PM »
The freezer and pond pump with the lamp looks like a good setup, try that.
Tight lines

Offline JustForTheHalibut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Oct 25, 2016, 04:50 PM »
You don't need a working one. I get mine off the dump  here is how I do it stays right outside never freezes.
(Image removed from quote.)
This is the old way I used to do it works great for cheap and I kept 500 in this.

APJ is that just a regular fish tank filter?
you gotta hook em to cook em

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #38 on: Oct 26, 2016, 12:50 PM »
Yes its a whisper filter from wal mart Large.
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Oct 26, 2016, 03:00 PM »
And does the trick alright?

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #40 on: Oct 26, 2016, 07:06 PM »
I keep a few dozens in a large cooler and heat it with a light. the colder the better for oxygen. I find that the more you keep the more the fish stress out  any you also. I don't know the cost of keeping your own bait as to just buying what you need. Figure in all the components like tapping time. energy cost, travel time as to just driving to the dealer. I don't want to think about it because it takes all the fun out of fishing when you start adding up the cost.
Steve

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #41 on: Oct 26, 2016, 07:30 PM »
I try and get my bait the day before I plan to go. I keep it in an insulated bait bucket in the garage on an air bubbler.
That said there are quite a few guys here in Ct. that get a lot of satisfaction trapping there bait and building bait tanks, with the reward of not having to get to the shop before they close. We also have places that sell bait by the pound and guys will get ten pounds or so to have bait on hand.
Do a search of bait tanks. pretty impressive.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Oct 26, 2016, 08:00 PM »
I try and get my bait the day before I plan to go. I keep it in an insulated bait bucket in the garage on an air bubbler.
That said there are quite a few guys here in Ct. that get a lot of satisfaction trapping there bait and building bait tanks, with the reward of not having to get to the shop before they close. We also have places that sell bait by the pound and guys will get ten pounds or so to have bait on hand.
Do a search of bait tanks. pretty impressive.
I could get bait no problem but you summed it up, I love the satisfaction of being the bait trap up and seein how much is in there. I equate it to a scratch off ticket. Plus I have a big family all that fish and live close so it will be nice for them to just stop by my shed anytime to grab bait. It's not a cost thing for me,  it's a hobby and I love it

Offline MAINETROUTWHISPERER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Nov 07, 2016, 12:41 PM »
mainewoodsballer - what size pump you using?

Sorry havent been on! Its a 300-500 GPH pump. adjustable. I will probably run it almost wide open. I keep my tank in the basement up against an outside wall.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Nov 07, 2016, 09:23 PM »
my tank build. 100 gal stock tank. boxed in and insulated with 2" board insulation. cover is also insulated. 290 GPH pump  with filter and spraybar. heater is on order.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.