The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Tournament time!  (Read 1164 times)

Offline TylerGilbert

• IceShanty Rookie
Tournament time!
« on: Sep 07, 2016, 03:55 PM »
Hello all. I'm new to the shanty and looking for some tips. Here's the scenario

I am 15,
We have a fishing club where we have a competition on who can get the most inches.

You can have two fish of each species. So to win you really need to have all different kinds of fish.

I'm looking for advice where big pickerel, pike, eel, muskee and lake trout are.
Im not going to share your spot with anyone but my ride. If you are kinda enough to share I'll share my favorite largemouth spot. It is an exact spot, where the 8lb largemouth hang out, no bull.

I don't expect you to share on ice shanty where everyone will see it!

TG

Thanks so much!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tournament time!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2016, 04:03 PM »

I don't expect you to share on ice shanty where all the rednecks will see it! 

Just who do you think has the information you're looking for then...

Also in one single post you've given up enough personal information to create a new identity for a Nigerian Prince that just wants to help you get rich!

Lol...

<°)))>{

Offline perch_stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2016, 05:33 PM »
Nice first post. Lmao! Welcome to the Shanty! I highly doubt any of the rednecks on here will give you any info with that post, but good luck to you.

Offline tomertim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 07, 2016, 08:29 PM »
When we tire from making moonshine we often go out to the crick to catch some frogs. No eels or those muuskie though.

Offline TylerGilbert

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2016, 09:14 PM »
Thanks for the smart ass answers!!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 07, 2016, 09:20 PM »
Thanks for the smart ass answers!!

Well obviously the rednecks won't answer your question.. There's still a chance a poet laureate might be around.. ;)

Good luck TG!!

<°)))>{

Offline TylerGilbert

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2016, 05:56 PM »
Thanks, sorry for looking for some help, have a good one!!

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 09, 2016, 03:50 PM »
I have good luck fishing   lakes and ponds
in god we trust

Offline LilWeezy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SHUT UP AND FISH
« Reply #8 on: Sep 10, 2016, 09:11 PM »
Common guys throw the kid a bone. I fish on 6+inches of ice on ponds and lakes I usually drill an 8inch hole before sun comes up and hope for the best

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 10, 2016, 10:20 PM »
at least he realizes that giving up favorite spots on the open web is unlikely, though not very wise to give up all that contact info. It would help to know what region your in though if anyone was to be inclined to help.

Offline NorthNH603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2016, 03:02 PM »
Get off the internet and into your local shops, those old boys are a wealth of knowledge and usually much more willing to share. Just my .2

Offline ZilgmeHarder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Sep 14, 2016, 10:04 AM »
Best way to find a spot is get out there and fish bud. Not going to get any decent info from anyone here when phrasing it like you did
Sometimes NY, sometimes ME, always on the ice

Offline NickM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 22, 2016, 05:07 PM »
My first advice would be to read through several pages of posts and see which lakes in your area get mentioned over and over, especially when the questions are about a specific species. That's a clue to what people are thinking about targeting in a specific spot.

Poke around on the Fish & Wildlife page. They provide a lot of useful information for free. Of particular use will be the lake survey maps:

www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/lakesurvey_maps/index.htm

The lake surveys also include info on the quality of the fisheries in the particular body of water, but be careful because some haven't been updated in decades. Pay attention to the size of the water bodies and the variation in depths. If you and your partner are fishing on foot, you need to target smaller ponds or one section of a big lake that has easy access.

In terms of strategy, I would suggest trying to find a lake in your area that has a quality fishery for more than one species in your tourney and learn to fish that one body of water well. It takes time to learn how to fish just one lake. If you run around between the "best" lakes for each species, you're going to spend more time in the car than learning how to fish smarter. Take your time and enjoy it. You have a lifetime to win a tournament, so don't feel like you need to impress anyone. I love your enthusiasm, but realize that if you're really pushing yourself to learn and get better, that's going to mean an awful lot of days going home with nothing. Tight lines  :tipup:

Offline gunn308

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Sep 23, 2016, 09:02 PM »
Looks like we might have a new Caleb at least this one can spell.
"Oats that have already been through the horse are always cheaper than oats that haven't"

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Sep 24, 2016, 05:08 AM »
Well mr Gilbert
1 we have had others on here saying they were young men but were just fishing (info sucking)
2 do a little home work , much of the info your seeking is here ,
Instant gratification , doesn't learn you anything
Do some homework and try again if you are sincere
Just an old farts .02

Offline TylerGilbert

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Sep 24, 2016, 05:18 PM »
Get off the internet and into your local shops, those old boys are a wealth of knowledge and usually much more willing to share. Just my .2

Ive tried them, they don't share anything!

Offline TylerGilbert

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Sep 24, 2016, 05:19 PM »
Best way to find a spot is get out there and fish bud. Not going to get any decent info from anyone here when phrasing it like you did

thanks.

Offline TylerGilbert

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Sep 24, 2016, 05:21 PM »
My first advice would be to read through several pages of posts and see which lakes in your area get mentioned over and over, especially when the questions are about a specific species. That's a clue to what people are thinking about targeting in a specific spot.

Poke around on the Fish & Wildlife page. They provide a lot of useful information for free. Of particular use will be the lake survey maps:

www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/lakesurvey_maps/index.htm

The lake surveys also include info on the quality of the fisheries in the particular body of water, but be careful because some haven't been updated in decades. Pay attention to the size of the water bodies and the variation in depths. If you and your partner are fishing on foot, you need to target smaller ponds or one section of a big lake that has easy access.

In terms of strategy, I would suggest trying to find a lake in your area that has a quality fishery for more than one species in your tourney and learn to fish that one body of water well. It takes time to learn how to fish just one lake. If you run around between the "best" lakes for each species, you're going to spend more time in the car than learning how to fish smarter. Take your time and enjoy it. You have a lifetime to win a tournament, so don't feel like you need to impress anyone. I love your enthusiasm, but realize that if you're really pushing yourself to learn and get better, that's going to mean an awful lot of days going home with nothing. Tight lines  :tipup:

Thanks for not having a sarcastic answer!

Im having a hard time finding the cold water fish, I'm sure thats because they get fished hard down here. if i drove 4 hours north I would get some but i won't have my license for 6 months, thanks again!

Offline TylerGilbert

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Sep 24, 2016, 05:23 PM »
Well mr Gilbert
1 we have had others on here saying they were young men but were just fishing (info sucking)
2 do a little home work , much of the info your seeking is here ,
Instant gratification , doesn't learn you anything
Do some homework and try again if you are sincere
Just an old farts .02

Yeah i hear that, ill try and do some "maine" area searches. thank you

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #19 on: Oct 16, 2016, 11:31 AM »
everything on your list with the exception of muskellunge can be caught on sebago lake .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.