Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel

Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | KTP | Cabelas | CJS | PolarBird | AcmeTackle
Sep 22, 2017, 08:55 PM
Support Iceshanty...
Get some great gear and forum goodies...
Join The Iceshanty Militia

Author Topic: Tip up Noise Maker  (Read 2606 times)

Orngwve28

• IceShanty Rookie

Re: Tip up Noise Maker
« Reply #20 on: Nov 10, 2016, 10:20 AM »
I used to run electrics but switched over to empty buckets to cut down on the amount of attention they draw.

What is this bucket trick?  I've never heard of using an empty buckets as a way to notify a flag...

BIGfishBILL

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #21 on: Dec 01, 2016, 10:49 AM »
What is this bucket trick?  I've never heard of using an empty buckets as a way to notify a flag...

I think they are covering their tip ups with an upside down bucket and using the RF alarms without noise so only the main unit sounds an alarm...only the person with the main unit is aware of a flag that has been tripped.  It sounds like a good idea to conceal the flag, but it may prevent holes from freezing over too. 

joechicago

• IceShanty Rookie

• ...if it's frozen drill it.
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2016, 03:18 PM »
What's the 12ga for? Putting down an unruly muskie?
God does not count in man's allotted span, the days spent fishing.

RapShack

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2016, 10:16 PM »

Flip a bucket upside down and set it on the edge of your trap up against the flag spring.  When the flag goes off it bangs into the bucket and makes a pretty distinctive sound, plus it keeps the trap from jumping on glare ice and makes a handy marker for drunk snowmobilers. 
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

BIGfishBILL

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2017, 01:34 PM »
Couple other positive things about the system, the button batteries on the actual sensors have lasted forever so far, over a year now, the one gets sounded a couple times a week at least..

They will be very easy to waterproof too.. There is a lot of wiggle room for the magnet placement.. Might have to experiment, but a different magnet type shape might work. The sensors could simply be in a Ziploc bag..

<)))>{

I tried these alarms out on the ice last weekend, but unfortunately the signal didn't seem to broadcast very far.....like 100 feet max.  I kept the main receiver in my portable shanty which has insulated fabric, but I may need to play around with where it may work better.   Holding the receiver in the window seemed to help, but I would hope these alarms don't require that to work.       

I guess I was a little disappointed that I had 2 flags pop up without the alarm going off.  Are there any suggestions on how to use these alarms?       

Thx

Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2017, 04:53 PM »
I tried these alarms out on the ice last weekend, but unfortunately the signal didn't seem to broadcast very far.....like 100 feet max.  I kept the main receiver in my portable shanty which has insulated fabric, but I may need to play around with where it may work better.   Holding the receiver in the window seemed to help, but I would hope these alarms don't require that to work.       

I guess I was a little disappointed that I had 2 flags pop up without the alarm going off.  Are there any suggestions on how to use these alarms?       

Thx

100 feet might be all its good for.. It's meant for a house alarm so it might not reach that far..

I usually try to set my tip ups closer than that, bunch of aholes on sleds try to run them over around here...

Not so much that holding it in the window helped, I'm betting you were holding it higher? It may help if you hang the receiver from the ceiling in your shanty?

Good luck!!

<)))>{

beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2017, 05:19 PM »
Do these have a 5 second delay ?   can you turn off the delay ?   100' range would be plenty for me, but they do advertise 500'

BIGfishBILL

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2017, 10:26 AM »
I don't think you can change the delay, but I haven't noticed any either.  These alarms do charm for like 15 seconds though and then turn off.  I actually like that feature because I'm usually very close to the main receiver AND I don't need the keep hearing the alarm should I lose the shut off fob.....luckily you get 2 shut off fobs with these units just in case you lose one.

beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #28 on: Jan 06, 2017, 11:03 AM »
I don't think you can change the delay, but I haven't noticed any either.  These alarms do charm for like 15 seconds though and then turn off.  I actually like that feature because I'm usually very close to the main receiver AND I don't need the keep hearing the alarm should I lose the shut off fob.....luckily you get 2 shut off fobs with these units just in case you lose one.

TY,  :tipup: Yeah, 15 seconds would be plenty long..   

Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict

• Looking for ice
« Reply #29 on: Jan 10, 2017, 07:11 PM »
I use these alarms, but I remove the noise making part and solder on a LED Christmas light, so when the flag is tripped it lights up instead of making noise. Great for fishing at night.
http://lazeysdailycup.blogspot.com/ - About tea, ice fishing and being raised by cats.

Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #30 on: Jan 10, 2017, 07:20 PM »

You can set the alarm to silent, so it just makes a short doorbell tone on the base unit..

<)))>{

Coach 54

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #31 on: Feb 03, 2017, 12:16 PM »
These alarms all sound great, but I guess I'm a little more low tech. I attach small bell purchased from the hobby shop to the flag of my tip up. Sometimes its just too windy to hear them trip but I can't count the amount of times I've been in the shelter and heard it go off. Simple but effective.

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Cabelas | CJS | PolarBird AcmeTackle
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved