Author Topic: Lithium battery  (Read 2900 times)

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
Lithium battery
« on: Aug 29, 2016, 07:01 PM »
Anyone have some updated reviews of lithium flasher batteries?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Lithium battery
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2016, 08:27 PM »
Anyone have some updated reviews of lithium flasher batteries?

I put this one in an FL22 HD flasher I put together last year. It was $99. I'm happy with it. I bought the "charger" for it.....it was basically a charger from a laptop for charging lithium batteries in a laptop that had clips instead of a plug. Works well. A normal lead acid battery charger won't fully charge them.

The difference in weight is just crazy. If you want extended run time vs the lead acid you need to get the higher AH rating like the 10AH. The AH rating is what will give/be the run time the battery can provide. What you will notice more then anything is the battery will do way more charge cycles then a lead acid. So I kinda figure $99 is about equal in cost to a $25 lead acid since it last about 4times longer. Also, I haven't noticed reduced run time with it like I do with my lead Acid batteries after a little age gets on them. I'm usually pretty good at maintaining & summer charging my lead acid batteries, and they usually take awhile to touch up with a charge in the off season. The lithium seems to stay charged during the summer.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Aug 29, 2016, 10:25 PM »
Good info. Thanks. So far those are the cheapest i have found. The 7ah is only 69. I rarely fish an entire day and the 7ah that came with my marcum has never died in one day so not sure i really need the 10ah. Thanks again

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 29, 2016, 10:59 PM »
Good info. Thanks. So far those are the cheapest i have found. The 7ah is only 69. I rarely fish an entire day and the 7ah that came with my marcum has never died in one day so not sure i really need the 10ah. Thanks again

If you get one get the 10ah. The thing last a long time. When your on those long fishing trips it's worth it. I think a lead acid last about 300-500 charge cycles a lithium last like 2000-3000charge cycles. That's a long time to regret not getting a higher ah rating.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2016, 05:13 PM »
Posted this up on another lithium battery thread yesterday:

Lithium.... lots of advantages but also some down sides.

Plus: light weight, does not drain off (much) during periods of non-use, better tolerance for cold (very cold) temps, oh, did I say lightweight

Minus (besides price): When they get low there is NO warning before they give up. None.... Fair warning.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2016, 09:06 PM »
Thanks esox. I have never ran out of battery even close with the 7ah marcum battery in one day. So, i figure if i just make sure and charge after a day use i should not have a prob? Correct me if i am wrong though. I am just judging off the original battery. Thanks for input

Offline Lukaszu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 02, 2016, 03:06 PM »
Guys,  I build lithium flasher batteries... There are actually simpel once u understand how things work. Just for giggles if u want super light pack that will last u about 3 + hours then try those 2.5ah 12v batteries u find in those compact drills. Just remember they are lithium ion so they are actually 11.1v stable. Also get to know ur flasher. Find out the draw of your unit with a basic voltmeter. Tweet the settings... See if it pulls less with lowered settings. O yea lithium batteries are super light so some packs maybe too light and may cause ur unit to constantly tip over.   Good day!

Offline Lukaszu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 02, 2016, 03:22 PM »
Agr... None of my business but I wouldn't use that charger unless u wanna kill your battery prematurely or worse... You are using a charger ment for lithium ion battery. The Dakota lithium battery is lithium IRON (lifepo4)  battery close chemistry but not close enough. U may want to use a charger specifically designed for  lifepo4 charging... Battery tender lithium jr comes to mind. ........... Someone mentioned here also there is no warning when battery dies.. Sure there is, one your battery hits 12v then its on its last leg. I belive those batteries shut off at 11.5v or something.  Either way after 12v then the voltage drops like a rock.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 02, 2016, 05:02 PM »
My lithium experience comes from my cordless drill - drives full power and then zero, not even slow. Just done. Of course there is no voltage readout for that. My other experience are handheld ice devices: a standalone GPS and one of those "flashlight" style depthfinders. Both function better with lithium especially in the bitter cold. They both have battery gauges / voltage readouts and I can't remember maybe but one season that a single set of batteries didn't last through. As a matter of routine I would replace with fresh the following year.

That said, I will have the opportunity to be on the ice pretty much all I want this year and that could change my battery usage.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Lukaszu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 02, 2016, 08:17 PM »
That's because there is circuits inside the battery that shut it down once it reaches a certain voltage.... Also,  you don't need winter to check,  all u need is a voltmeter and wires and a light bulb. Then u can check anything u need pertaining to your flasher or your battery. If you interested I'll walk you through it. I'll be on here often tomorrow. Hell, I can even show you how to build a simple lithium ion battery if you like to tinker.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 02, 2016, 10:17 PM »
Agr... None of my business but I wouldn't use that charger unless u wanna kill your battery prematurely or worse... You are using a charger ment for lithium ion battery. The Dakota lithium battery is lithium IRON (lifepo4)  battery close chemistry but not close enough. U may want to use a charger specifically designed for  lifepo4 charging... Battery tender lithium jr comes to mind. ........... Someone mentioned here also there is no warning when battery dies.. Sure there is, one your battery hits 12v then its on its last leg. I belive those batteries shut off at 11.5v or something.  Either way after 12v then the voltage drops like a rock.

I bought it off the website

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Sep 02, 2016, 11:53 PM »
Make sure the lithium battery your buying comes with built-in protection-circuit-modules (PCM) micro-computers that internally balanced cells and confer protection from overcharge, overdischarge and short circuiting.

Offline Lukaszu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 03, 2016, 07:34 AM »
My bad Agr, I miss read your post initially. Thought u rigged a laptop charger.  Hey if that what they recommend then good on you. But I can't figure out why it pushes to 14.8v... Should be to 14.6v

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.