Author Topic: Minnow cooler  (Read 1053 times)

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Minnow cooler
« on: Aug 24, 2016, 08:25 PM »
Does anyone have plans for a minnow cooler for the winter.  Bait shop closed so want to get some minnows and save them for the winter.  I have space I my garage.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Minnow cooler
« Reply #1 on: Aug 24, 2016, 09:29 PM »
Does anyone have plans for a minnow cooler for the winter.  Bait shop closed so want to get some minnows and save them for the winter.  I have space I my garage.

I just use a 10gal aquarium in my basement.....seems to work fine. When I get low I pick up a few when I'm at the bait shop.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2016, 10:53 PM »
Keeping minnows is best just above freezing.. The more you have the more you need to change the water.. They can go for over a month without food if kept really cold.. If you have city water, just keep a few five gallon buckets full in the same area as your tank.. Letting them sit for over 24 hours will allow the chlorine to dissipate and also the temperature to be the same, as not to shock the fish..

Feeding them can be the worst thing unless you do frequent water changes because their waste in the water is what kills them.. The colder (without freezing) the better because it keeps their metabolism low, which means they'll need less food, and make less waste too...

Keeping them in the dark helps keep them still, which also uses less energy on their part...

<°)))>{

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 26, 2016, 02:34 PM »
Keeping minnows is best just above freezing.. The more you have the more you need to change the water.. They can go for over a month without food if kept really cold.. If you have city water, just keep a few five gallon buckets full in the same area as your tank.. Letting them sit for over 24 hours will allow the chlorine to dissipate and also the temperature to be the same, as not to shock the fish..

Feeding them can be the worst thing unless you do frequent water changes because their waste in the water is what kills them.. The colder (without freezing) the better because it keeps their metabolism low, which means they'll need less food, and make less waste too...

Keeping them in the dark helps keep them still, which also uses less energy on their part...

<°)))>{

I think it a high metabolism  cause of the high oxygen content of the water.. the high oxygen causes them to burn food faster.. that why steel head get lazy and seek the slack or slow moving seems of rivers...  cause they don't want to burn there fat off .. that's why drifting eggs under a float works so well during the colder months but the eggs have to be right on their noses or very close to so they can move slightly over and grab it.. then when water temps go up they chase minnows etc cause there more aggressive and less burning of fat with a lower metabolism.. so opposite in summer..  I think that's what is written in my book fly fishing for great Lakes steel head . I am not a biologist so I am just going off the top of my head.. that state ment may be true cause they they get sluggish and slow down like swimming wise.. then they digest less cause less calories burned from swimming less? But for sure not a biologist..

As for tanks make your own some 2x4s and 1/4 inch thick poly carbonate and silicone glue the seems.. type for bath tubs clear  is best.. build frame for polycarbonate with 2x4s  go and measure a 10 gallon size ans figure how much you need.. use the poly carbonate instead of glass .. because glass shatters when ice forms ice expands the poly carb will with stand the flexing .. keep in garage with heater at low temp just above freezing .. and trap minnows legally or net them...

Could even get a feed stock tank from tractor supply company like x gallon big and use aquarium heaters just to keep it warm enough those heater go by gallons..

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/rubbermaid-structural-foam-stock-tanks-100-gal-capacity

There is a 40 gallon but there is no listing on a drain for it might want that cause its in a garage.. one below is 40 dollars and is 40 gallons the link above is 100 gallons with drain for $80 but all depends on what's kept at one time.. by the way there is more then this tank at link so look around.. also  tractor supply is like Blains and mills fleet farm so shop around and see what you can find..

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tuff-stuff-products-heavy-duty-oval-tank-40-gal?cm_vc=-10005

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 26, 2016, 03:00 PM »
I don't know about your area, but around here, there are 10, 20, 30, 40, 55, 75 gallon aquariums for sale all the time for pennies on the dollar with all the pumps and filters,etc.  People get tired of keeping them clean and nice looking.  We have a county sale page on fb and there are 4 or 5 aguariums for sale almost all of the time.  As the others have said, keeping it very cold without freezing is key.  They can last for weeks if the water is cold and kept clean.
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.