Author Topic: Dream Ice Fishing Vacation  (Read 2739 times)

Offline IcePirateJace

• Team IceShanty Regular
Dream Ice Fishing Vacation
« on: Aug 24, 2016, 08:59 AM »
Pretty new here so if this has been discussed many times, sorry. But it's always fun to dream and the ice is coming, so what would be a dream ice fishing trip for everyone?

For me, I would love to make a trip to the great lakes for some monster walleye. Trout in the mountains of Colorado or the Black Hills would be a great experience. And maybe one of these years the Burbot Festival would be a great time but that would be less about the fishing and more about the atmosphere.

Let's hear some of your bucket list ice fishing trips.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Dream Ice Fishing Vacation
« Reply #1 on: Aug 24, 2016, 09:09 AM »
IPJ you should add your location to your profile . Would like to visit the big "O" in my home state...and LOW there after.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

luv2fish2

« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2016, 09:46 AM »
I always dreamed about going to minnysoda maybe lotw  area , my buddy's did a trip to ohio / erie and killed monster walleye unfortunately i had to work . some day i hope to go west but for now i'll fish oneida and  east end of erie when possible , and my camp on chaumont bay . hopefully fishing not wishing this year !!!!

Offline ElectricSlide19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2016, 01:48 PM »
I would like to get out on Upper Red someday for early early ice. Also would like to hit Devils Lake for some jumbos.

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2016, 02:01 PM »
One where I actually pull a fish   ::)

Haha... but really

Offline IcePirateJace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2016, 02:02 PM »
I have been lucky enough to fish a few of the big name destinations and one thing I have learned is that the fishing is usually just as good at home lakes as it is at the dream spots.  But it also is always fun to fish new water and be out on the ice with your buds. I hope everyone has a good year and can make it to any of their dream spots.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2016, 02:03 PM »
I have always wanted to do a ice trip to Devils lake ND. or Lake of the Woods Ontario side.

Offline icemachiner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Aug 24, 2016, 02:10 PM »
Sweden. Not sure what to fish for there. Wouldn't matter as long as there was Svedka.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 24, 2016, 02:15 PM »
I live near lake Erie...

I don't have any places I'd rather go!!

Sort of wouldn't mind trying way up in northern Ontario for monster northern but I don't think they fish that far north, either due to snow amounts of ice thickness.. I've seen it snow up there in June and September already..

In my opinion, nothing really beats trying to squeeze a walleye out of an 8 inch hole...

Just hope it happens this winter!!!

<°)))>{

Offline tomertim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Aug 24, 2016, 02:53 PM »
Lake Baikal in Russia is the top of the dream list  :)

Offline NorthNH603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Aug 24, 2016, 02:58 PM »
A Remote Lake In Alaska.

I lived there for a few years and I was the only shanty on the most perfect lake full of trout. Id love to go back.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Aug 24, 2016, 06:26 PM »
Ive done Lake of the Woods with a sleeper house on the MN side, while it was a great time overall, fishing was slow (12 fish each day with nothing bigger than 18"). Last year was Devils Lake ND, great time perch fishing on day 1 (caught bigger perch that I have ever seen) with good action on walleyes on day 2 (ended with 9 keepers and 2 perch between the wife and I).

This year we are trying a sleeper house on Upper Red Lake. I've heard good things but you know the weather can shut any lake down. I  do like that there is more of a night bite there than LOTW considering we are in a sleeper house

Dream trip would be Winnipeg in March or Erie (next time it freezes). We may consider Rainy Lake too, I fish there on the MN side every fall and love the area

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Aug 24, 2016, 09:39 PM »
Ive done Lake of the Woods with a sleeper house on the MN side, while it was a great time overall, fishing was slow (12 fish each day with nothing bigger than 18"). Last year was Devils Lake ND, great time perch fishing on day 1 (caught bigger perch that I have ever seen) with good action on walleyes on day 2 (ended with 9 keepers and 2 perch between the wife and I).

This year we are trying a sleeper house on Upper Red Lake. I've heard good things but you know the weather can shut any lake down. I  do like that there is more of a night bite there than LOTW considering we are in a sleeper house

Dream trip would be Winnipeg in March or Erie (next time it freezes). We may consider Rainy Lake too, I fish there on the MN side every fall and love the area

Hey bigstorm. I've done that trip every year around the 19th of Dec. for 10 years now. Some years I went up twice. LOL. From my experiences I found that if you want to be on the hot walleye bite a guy needs to be towards the early ice time frame. Best trip every was about my 2nd trip up on Dec. 19 ice was just thick enough for sleepers and no to little snow. Full moon was out and 4 of us caught well over 100 walleyes from noon to midnight. We got so sick we quit putting minnows on the rattle wheels lol. Rogers & West Winds are the two best places to go out of in my opinion and have nice facilities if a guy needs to use them. Last year we went out of JR's and only wheelers and portables could go out on the 19th of Dec.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Aug 26, 2016, 11:58 AM »
Hey bigstorm. I've done that trip every year around the 19th of Dec. for 10 years now. Some years I went up twice. LOL. From my experiences I found that if you want to be on the hot walleye bite a guy needs to be towards the early ice time frame. Best trip every was about my 2nd trip up on Dec. 19 ice was just thick enough for sleepers and no to little snow. Full moon was out and 4 of us caught well over 100 walleyes from noon to midnight. We got so sick we quit putting minnows on the rattle wheels lol. Rogers & West Winds are the two best places to go out of in my opinion and have nice facilities if a guy needs to use them. Last year we went out of JR's and only wheelers and portables could go out on the 19th of Dec.

The trip to Upper Red is over New Years, arriving on 12/31 and fishing for 2 days

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Aug 26, 2016, 08:37 PM »
I live near lake Erie...

I don't have any places I'd rather go!!

(Image removed from quote.)

Just hope it happens this winter!!!

<°)))>{

I wish to go anywhere where I can pull a walleye like that thru a hole and keep a sh!t eating grin like that one!!!  Outstanding!
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Aug 26, 2016, 08:57 PM »
I wish to go anywhere where I can pull a walleye like that thru a hole and keep a sh!t eating grin like that one!!!  Outstanding!

Thanks man...

If you are from around here, and are pretty familiar with the big lake ice.. It will happen... That one is my best ever at 31.5 inches. I've hit 29s three times..

<°)))>{

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Aug 26, 2016, 10:39 PM »
My wife and kids go to Disney world and leave me home to fish the same 3 lakes I always fish but for a whole week.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Aug 27, 2016, 02:35 AM »
My wife and kids go to Disney world and leave me home

^That takes the cake^

I didn't think I would be jealous but I'm having trouble now...

<°)))>{

Offline IcePirateJace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Aug 29, 2016, 11:35 AM »
My wife and kids go to Disney world and leave me home to fish the same 3 lakes I always fish but for a whole week.

Is one of those 3 lakes Dead Lake, where Agronomist tells us the panties are good? If so, that is quite the coincidence.  ;)

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Aug 29, 2016, 12:12 PM »

LOL!  I think we have a winner!

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #20 on: Aug 29, 2016, 02:17 PM »
Whenever this comes up I always put in wanting to go do the Greenland Challenge:
http://www.greenland-guide.gl/sharkchallenge/programme.htm

I mean talk about ultimate ice fishing experience, sitting out on the artic ocean (not some big Northern Canadian or US lake , a freaking Ocean!) jigging with a full size cod or a baby seal as bait trying to catch a shark that can go 1500 to 2500 pounds.

That would be the ice fishing dream vacation in my book.
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Aug 29, 2016, 02:48 PM »
I want to go waaaay up north with JediMasterSlamonSlayer for Shee Fish.. ;D
They look like Tarpon...
   http://alaskansalmonslayers.com/winter--spring-2015.html
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline IcePirateJace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Aug 30, 2016, 09:56 AM »
Those look like some fun times. The ice in that Alaska pic is amazing. Ain't no ice around here like that. Another I didn't mention that I would like to put on the list is Ft. Peck.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Aug 30, 2016, 09:57 AM »
Whenever this comes up I always put in wanting to go do the Greenland Challenge:
http://www.greenland-guide.gl/sharkchallenge/programme.htm

I mean talk about ultimate ice fishing experience, sitting out on the artic ocean (not some big Northern Canadian or US lake , a freaking Ocean!) jigging with a full size cod or a baby seal as bait trying to catch a shark that can go 1500 to 2500 pounds.

That would be the ice fishing dream vacation in my book.

That does sound like fun there!!

<°)))>{

Offline iowapackfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Sep 01, 2016, 08:26 AM »
I'm hoping for a trip up to Devil's lake some day before I get too old.
God,Country, and the Green Bay Packers

Offline Wingthing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JustJigIt
« Reply #25 on: Sep 05, 2016, 09:20 PM »
I just keep dreaming of going back here! Used to go there for Walleye now just these. Lake Ontario.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Sep 06, 2016, 05:40 PM »
Ft. Peck, MT, Devils Lake ND, Lost Mountain Sak., Lake Winnipeg, Ont. Green Bay, WI., Flaming Gorge, WY
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Sep 06, 2016, 06:34 PM »
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline sandhillguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Sep 08, 2016, 02:58 AM »
For the ole lady and I its Lake Winnepeg, we just cant get over giant eyes, trying to find a cabin to rent and a couple sno-mos to rent for a few days to do it, would like to do it on our own anyway, we like the challenge. Last year the woman sent me and a friend to LOW for a 3 day fishing trip, used a local outfitter, timing was either terrible or the fishing isn't that great anymore actually (guides were telling us its far from what it used to be). Anyway I didn't know so many people got excited about catching 14'' saugers all day...... regardless the trip was great really, good food, good place to stay, cold drinks, and got to fish LOW.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Sep 08, 2016, 07:17 AM »
For the ole lady and I its Lake Winnepeg, we just cant get over giant eyes, trying to find a cabin to rent and a couple sno-mos to rent for a few days to do it, would like to do it on our own anyway, we like the challenge. Last year the woman sent me and a friend to LOW for a 3 day fishing trip, used a local outfitter, timing was either terrible or the fishing isn't that great anymore actually (guides were telling us its far from what it used to be). Anyway I didn't know so many people got excited about catching 14'' saugers all day...... regardless the trip was great really, good food, good place to stay, cold drinks, and got to fish LOW.

Come on up. Big windy still putting out hundreds of 10lb plus fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.