Author Topic: Inverter Generators.  (Read 12333 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Inverter Generators.
« on: Aug 20, 2016, 11:41 PM »
I've been looking at Inverter Generators......lookin g to hear from people who have ran them, and if they are happy with them. Mainly looking at the 2000 starting, 1600 running for winter time in the ice castle.

I know that the Honda & Yamaha are both the gold standard.

I was kinda looking at the following and wondering how they do vs the Honda/Yamaha.

Champion 2000

General IQ 2000

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Inverter Generators.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2016, 09:51 AM »
I don't own one but after two weeks in the Colorado Rockies with a group of off road vehicle riders, the Yamaha was the quietest and longest running per tank of gas of the three being used.  It had no problems providing power to a 35 foot and 18 foot motor home and travel trailer...including air conditioning.  It was a 3000 if I'm not mistaken.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2016, 10:01 AM »
I use a Honda 1000i, but I don't bother with forced air heat, microwave or a big screen TV which some folks have an option to use. Mine is used to charge batteries and run my CPAP at night. I would think a well equipped wheelhouse would require a 2000 or larger.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2016, 10:21 AM »
I have the Yamaha 2000is and it's a great unit.
I use it for my camper and it has been used extensively in building my cabin.
As said it just sips gas and is nice and quiet.
Have had it since spring 2014 and the only thing I've done other than fill the gas tank is change the oil.
Probably has well over 1000 hours on it by now!!!
Still runs like a dream.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2016, 11:57 AM »
I got a Champion generator like that cabelas sportsmen they run on sale all the time it's a noisy s.o.b. it has 3500 peak watts and about 3000 rms watts ...any how had some thing break the fuel line broke cause it fell on it... and borke it almost flush at the carb cause of the cheap plastic piece... have had gumming problems with the Jets to.... not sure if it's a inverter style or not  tell you the truth if you can afford the Honda or Yamaha s then you should be fine..... also take and see what generac offers for what your looking for..

Just looked at it...  it's a colemen non inverter same as the champion outdoorsman sold at cabelas.. if that helps ..

Offline candyok

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2016, 02:10 PM »
I tried to save some money by buying lesser generators, after 2 try's in 2 years I when with a Honda. No trouble in 4 years, so bite the bullet and buy the best or wait until you can.
A bad day of fishing with your dog, beats any day of doing HONEYDOS.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2016, 09:10 PM »
I tried to save some money by buying lesser generators, after 2 try's in 2 years I when with a Honda. No trouble in 4 years, so bite the bullet and buy the best or wait until you can.

Well said !     :bow:

I'm very happy with a Honda EU2000i. 

10,000 -15,000 hours without any faults !
12 years on original spark plug.
Sips fuel (non-ethanol ONLY ).
Can be operated in a campground overnight (very quiet) without refills.
Low oil spark kill.
5 oil changes since 2004 ( Amsoil synthetic).
Easy for this old man to carry around.

:flex: ;)2

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Aug 21, 2016, 11:00 PM »
I got a Champion generator like that cabelas sportsmen they run on sale all the time it's a noisy s.o.b. it has 3500 peak watts and about 3000 rms watts ...any how had some thing break the fuel line broke cause it fell on it... and borke it almost flush at the carb cause of the cheap plastic piece... have had gumming problems with the Jets to.... not sure if it's a inverter style or not  tell you the truth if you can afford the Honda or Yamaha s then you should be fine..... also take and see what generac offers for what your looking for..

Just looked at it...  it's a colemen non inverter same as the champion outdoorsman sold at cabelas.. if that helps ..

The champion I was looking at is 54 dB and has good reviews.......interest ing review...

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #8 on: Aug 22, 2016, 04:59 AM »

I tried Generac's 2000 watt and it was hard starting, when it did run it was quiet and kept up with
                   the draw, but after two years it just died and it coast too much to fix. I was helping my wife's son
                   move and he has or had a Honda EU2000, he won it in a raffle so he asked me if I wanted it, how
                    could I turn it down. I use it at our hunting camp in Maine and never fails to start! I give Honda's
                    5 stars!

IW

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Aug 22, 2016, 08:12 AM »
Ive got a Honda 1000i My buddys got a Yamaha 2000. Mine is from 2003. Still starts 1st pull every time. Buddys Yammi is from 2005 and does the same. Never ever any problems-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline hookset81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Aug 22, 2016, 01:26 PM »
The Champion Inverter is a great unit, performs as well as the Honda but is a tick louder.  Worth looking at them close and seeing if it will work for you.  If I were going to buy one today I would have no problems buying the Champion.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #11 on: Aug 22, 2016, 06:06 PM »
The Champion Inverter is a great unit, performs as well as the Honda but is a tick louder.  Worth looking at them close and seeing if it will work for you.  If I were going to buy one today I would have no problems buying the Champion.

Have you used/owned one? What brought you to your conclusion?

This is the one I was looking at. I shows it is only a dB louder then the Honda or Yamaha. But it is still quiet and light.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Aug 23, 2016, 08:23 PM »
Did some pretty heavy research on these inverter generators to understand exactly what one is paying for and the benefits.

All of them are pretty good quality, but they aren't all capable of the same things. All are capable of the 2000 watts, but how it is able to be used is the difference factor. The difference factor is the 120v plugs that are on the unit.

Take for example the champion 2000 the outlets are 13.5 amp max. You can only run a 13.5 amp product max on it or it overloads the plug. (which is 1620watts) In order to be able to use the 16.7 max amps the unit can provide (2000 watts) you would have to run both plugs on the unit without drawing more then 13.5 amps (1620 watts) from either plug. Now take for example the Yamaha it has 16.7 amp max (2000 watt) 120v plugs. The Honda has 20amp (2400 watt) 120v plugs.  So......if you used an extension cord to plug into the 120v plug for your ice castle on the Yamaha & Honda you could draw 16.7 amps or 2000 watts from those units. You'd also be able to run something that took 16.7 amps to run. With the cheaper $500 units like the champion you would only be able to use 13.5 amps or (1620 watts) when you used a single cord to plug into your ice castle. In order to use the remaining 380amps you'd have to run a second cord of the other plug.

So the summary is the Honda will run **** the others can't due to having the 20amp 120v plugs.........however, if you were to get two units to put in parallel and had the 30amp plugs for the units......they can all run the same stuff.......so two champion 2000 would be able to do the same has two Honda 2000 because they'd both have the 30amp max plug.......

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Aug 24, 2016, 10:31 AM »
So the summary is the Honda will run **** the others can't due to having the 20amp 120v plugs.........however, if you were to get two units to put in parallel and had the 30amp plugs for the units......they can all run the same stuff.......so two champion 2000 would be able to do the same has two Honda 2000 because they'd both have the 30amp max plug.......

But your research doesn't account for the QUALITY of the unit. Will the Champion still be running flawlessly every winter?  I doubt it-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline hookset81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Aug 24, 2016, 10:54 AM »
I have never owned one but have used the Champion and wouldn't worry a bit about buying one. 

In my opinion, the build quality is high enough for me to purchase it over the Honda.  As the other post stated, they do have a lower rated plug, but the plugs can be changed if you need to put max power out of a single plug.  This scenario is pretty unlikely for me as I don't have a anything I would need that much power for at this moment.

EDIT: If I were to buy one today it would be the 3100 Watt unit, which would power all the essentials in my house if I needed it to.  Also, the 3100 watt model has 20 amp receptacles so that would solve that issue too.  The 3100 is still cheaper than a Honda 2000i as well.

In short, I would buy one of these first, maybe I am dumb to do so, but I would do it no doubt.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Aug 24, 2016, 01:03 PM »
I know you looking for quite operation this one is 65 dba at 23 feet and very close to the yami eu2000i  which can be 51.5 to 61 dba at 24 foot away...  if it were me I would look at the one at the link and think is spending 4x this on a Yamaha or Honda worth it??   your not there to sit and run the genarators and watch TV your there to fish truthfully .. at least if the champion at link breaks down you did not spend 4x it on a Honda or yami or 3 x it on the other champion that runs at 58dba  take the 58 forn 65 you got a 7 dba difference... to me for $ 250. Is better price point and you got the 20 amp nema 20 r plug.. but it up to you not me  in the long run just got to rembering ice will not always be good so why put all your nuts in on basket?? Even for camping? There is at most camp grounds power you hook the rv to so you dont run genarators all night long..  just thinking here ya know... So see link let me know what you think??

http://www.cabelas.com/product/champion-1200w-generator/2161698.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D%26No%3D20%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dgenarators%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26recordsPerPage%3D20%26search%3Dgenarators%26searchTypeByFilter%3DTopRated%26x%3D10%26y%3D6&Ntt=genarators

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Aug 24, 2016, 03:58 PM »
Well. I'm leaning towards the Honda or Yamaha. Because you can truly pull 2000 watts from one plug on them. The champion you can't. And most of the cheaper ones can't do it either. Why have 2000 watts if you can only use up to 1600?

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Aug 24, 2016, 04:58 PM »
I know you looking for quite operation this one is 65 dba at 23 feet and very close to the yami eu2000i  which can be 51.5 to 61 dba at 24 foot away...  if it were me I would look at the one at the link and think is spending 4x this on a Yamaha or Honda worth it??   your not there to sit and run the genarators and watch TV your there to fish truthfully .. at least if the champion at link breaks down you did not spend 4x it on a Honda or yami or 3 x it on the other champion that runs at 58dba  take the 58 forn 65 you got a 7 dba difference... to me for $ 250. Is better price point and you got the 20 amp nema 20 r plug.. but it up to you not me  in the long run just got to rembering ice will not always be good so why put all your nuts in on basket?? Even for camping? There is at most camp grounds power you hook the rv to so you dont run genarators all night long..  just thinking here ya know... So see link let me know what you think??

http://www.cabelas.com/product/champion-1200w-generator/2161698.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D%26No%3D20%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dgenarators%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26recordsPerPage%3D20%26search%3Dgenarators%26searchTypeByFilter%3DTopRated%26x%3D10%26y%3D6&Ntt=genarators

FYI
For every 10db increase the sound is twice as loud.
Therefore with those specs at full load the 65db unit is 50% louder than the Yamie.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Aug 24, 2016, 05:04 PM »
Another question is does your ice castle require a 120 volt rv plug ??  Check out the plug on this genarators it has a 120 volt rv plug in between two standard 120 volt plugs .. so which does it require?  I think the yamahas eu2000i don't have that on them standard.. might be a plug or some thing you got to buy to adapt it?? If you can get a adaptor for the yami or Honda that would be a better option then.. if that what you really want..

http://www.cabelas.com/product/champion-3500-4000-watt-generator/746396.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D%26No%3D20%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dgenarators%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26recordsPerPage%3D20%26search%3Dgenarators%26searchTypeByFilter%3DTopRated%26x%3D10%26y%3D6&Ntt=genarators

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Aug 24, 2016, 05:10 PM »
FYI
For every 10db increase the sound is twice as loud.
Therefore with those specs at full load the 65db unit is 50% louder than the Yamie.

Could be but also might not be..cause there saying it can be 61 dba that's 4 dba less and 1 foot further away.. rember most dba is measured at 1w/1m.. for audio measurements..  meaning the further away you are the quite it gets..  un less you own a good dba meter no way of teling..

I don't like champion there low end genarators so Pls don't take what is said here wrong in post..

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Aug 24, 2016, 06:15 PM »
Any good comments on these? There Saying USA Tech SUPPORT And  parts in their add?  3 yr waranty.. etc like yammi and Honda .. and costs less than the Champions .. btw I got a power mate with a b/s engine loud as can be but it's is a non inverter type.. this one's good to 63  dba at 22 feet.. any thought I would thow it out I think power mate make their own engines now? Cause mines Briggs and Straton.. b/s ..

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Powermate-2000i-Portable-Inverter-Generator/45013833

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #21 on: Aug 24, 2016, 06:21 PM »
Another question is does your ice castle require a 120 volt rv plug ??  Check out the plug on this genarators it has a 120 volt rv plug in between two standard 120 volt plugs .. so which does it require?  I think the yamahas eu2000i don't have that on them standard.. might be a plug or some thing you got to buy to adapt it?? If you can get a adaptor for the yami or Honda that would be a better option then.. if that what you really want..

http://www.cabelas.com/product/champion-3500-4000-watt-generator/746396.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D%26No%3D20%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dgenarators%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26recordsPerPage%3D20%26search%3Dgenarators%26searchTypeByFilter%3DTopRated%26x%3D10%26y%3D6&Ntt=genarators

I already have one like that. At 65dB I want something that is more portable(light weight) and quiet so it can run 24-7 when I fish and not be a noisy SOB.

I would just get the champion, but I am afraid that when my mini fridge kicks in or using the coffe pot or something I would need a surge to 2000 watts and the plug would only let it go to 1620

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Aug 24, 2016, 06:31 PM »
Seen that colemen at wallmart and I got a 10 percent off was thinking of using it but read a few reviews and the best made reviews all point to the Yamahas ef2000i some of the info seen here compared to the honda..

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5VA8mtiV_-s/VEl2eyxWVfI/AAAAAAAAAVY/XnEUPJFVweE/s1600/Honda%2BEU2000i%2Bvs%2BYamaha%2BEF2000iS.jpg

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #23 on: Aug 24, 2016, 06:33 PM »
Any good comments on these? There Saying USA Tech SUPPORT And  parts in their add?  3 yr waranty.. etc like yammi and Honda .. and costs less than the Champions .. btw I got a power mate with a b/s engine loud as can be but it's is a non inverter type.. this one's good to 63  dba at 22 feet.. any thought I would thow it out I think power mate make their own engines now? Cause mines Briggs and Straton.. b/s ..

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Powermate-2000i-Portable-Inverter-Generator/45013833

63dB is loud as hell. That's at a 1/4 load. For me It needs to be in the 51-55 range. Otherwise It's pointless an I might has well use the Benny I got.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Aug 24, 2016, 06:44 PM »
I already have one like that. At 65dB I want something that is more portable(light weight) and quiet so it can run 24-7 when I fish and not be a noisy SOB.
(Image removed from quote.)

I would just get the champion, but I am afraid that when my mini fridge kicks in or using the coffe pot or something I would need a surge to 2000 watts and the plug would only let it go to 1620

I hear ya on the champion..

Nice thing about the Yamaha is they are linkable so if you look around you can get a link kit for I think 69.99 at cabelas and you can double your out put with a secound genarator or if you and a friend have a genarator a link kit will allow you to run some thing like a /c or a welder were on some thing like a colemen they are not link able.. any how all reviews say the yamahas are the best same with every one on here to ..

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #25 on: Aug 24, 2016, 07:22 PM »

...any how all reviews say the yamahas are the best same with every one on here too ..

Not everyone mentioned, as you've stated, said anything other than Honda.    ;)2

Offline tomertim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Aug 24, 2016, 08:49 PM »
You just can't go wrong with a Honda. We used to use them when I was a commercial roofer running hot air welders and they were just bombproof. I now have a Honda 2000i for the camper that I just love. So smooth.... Like it was mentioned, I believe it's worth biting the bullet on the price.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Aug 24, 2016, 09:21 PM »

I run one of these for connecting my camper to the ole Yamaha.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #28 on: Aug 24, 2016, 09:23 PM »
Hondas get my vote the eu 2000 I've never used any other brand though we use the Hondas to power our closed circuit pipe inspection tv units and we use them for a million other applications in the trenchless pipe rehab industry they r quiet fuel efficient

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #29 on: Aug 24, 2016, 09:25 PM »
You just can't go wrong with a Honda. We used to use them when I was a commercial roofer running hot air welders and they were just bombproof. I now have a Honda 2000i for the camper that I just love. So smooth.... Like it was mentioned, I believe it's worth biting the bullet on the price.

Yeah I kinda got it down to the Yamaha and the Honda.....I'm leaning towards the Honda since my ice castle is red.....lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.