Author Topic: Draining Harvey Gap  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
Draining Harvey Gap
« on: Aug 16, 2016, 09:03 PM »
Well, just heard it straight from the CPW officer himself.  They are draining Harvey Gap in order to inspect / repair the dam.  A salvage will be declared very soon, and bag limits will be lifted.  Pike will NOT be reintroduced after the drain.  They are going to look at the outlet area of the dam, and if it needs to be drained farther in order to make repairs, they will do so at that time.  Hopefully no repairs will be needed, and the drain won't be to bad.

The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Draining Harvey Gap
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2016, 10:40 PM »
Seems a shame. I've been driving over from the front range for the last 6-7 years to fish the Gaps for Perch and Pike on tip ups.  Might have to look at Blue Mesa or Eleven Mile for the trip next year.

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Aug 17, 2016, 02:08 PM »
Yeah, I don't know how low it's going to go, or if it will even be fishable this winter.  They say they are just lowering it to look at the spillway, then if repairs are needed, they will drain it again in a couple years to make the repair. 

I will certainly be keeping a close eye on this one.  I love fishing the Gap's.  May see ya at the Blue Mesa though, as that is a trip I've wanted to do as well.
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline gnatboy911

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2016, 05:26 PM »
It's depressing for sure.  Harvey is my go-to lake...seeing how I live in Silt its very close and I fish it pretty much every weekend on the ice.  I didn't realize they might not drain it completely, that might save a few fish.  But either way, it won't be a good thing.

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Aug 17, 2016, 08:28 PM »
Salvage started today.  No limits.

Offline Westsloper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's always something in my icehole!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 17, 2016, 10:39 PM »
What people need to remember is this is not the CPW's choice. Harvey gap is a privately owned reservoir controlled by the Silt Water Conservancy District. This decision was made solely on the safety of people living below the dam and preserving irrigation water for farmers ranchers and other users downstream. I did hear from the Conservancy District  that they might build a dike around the area they will be working on to allow more water in the lake while they do repairs.
Jiggin up jumbos!

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2016, 09:41 PM »
Yeah I wasn't meaning any harm to the DOW officers, or to be bad mouthing them.  Just bummed it's happening at all.  Would be nice if they kept the water level up as high as possible.  Think I'll be going with Rick Saturday, so will check it out and see how it looks.  I know the inspection / repair is needed, just hope it doesn't hurt the lake to bad.  It's been a great fishery!

Offline Westsloper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's always something in my icehole!
« Reply #7 on: Aug 18, 2016, 11:14 PM »
You won't really see any different in the lake until November. The Water District  has to honor the water shares for the rest of the season. Like every year the lake will be extremely low at the end of October but this year it will continue to fall because they will shut off the inlet and divert that water to Rifle Gap.
Jiggin up jumbos!

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2016, 09:20 PM »
So what's happening now ?  Heard the fish salvage was cancelled, and back to business as usual. ?
Bud

Offline ronco

• Team IceShanty Regular
The secret to fishing.....fish where the fish are.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.