The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Summer Ice Fishing Preps  (Read 2284 times)

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
Summer Ice Fishing Preps
« on: Aug 15, 2016, 06:58 PM »
Hi All!
y
I have been lurking around for the past couple weeks hoping someone would post and get things started. Just wondering what everone is doing over the summer in preparation for the upcoming season? I made a new rod holder for my atv and have been fixing up my trailer. Saw an article on the interweb that Farmers Almanac is predicting a much colder winter for upper Midwest. After last season, that would be welcome.

Thorney

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Summer Ice Fishing Preps
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2016, 07:16 PM »
Got a new trailer for the ATV, went with 82" x 14' aluminum one so I can drive the ATV right on pulling the flip over behind, strap everything down (and cover the ATV). Eyeing up a new gas auger too, thinking strike master laser pro at this point.

Really hoping for at least a normal winter and if its colder than normal, thats just a bonus. Last winter was ridiculous.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 16, 2016, 07:45 AM »
nope, pretty much got my stuff just waiting for December. But I've been in training to get ready. I turn on the ac as high as it will go and sit in front of it about a foot away until snotcicles hang from by nose and lips! Gotta stay fit and ready ;D

:tipup:

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Aug 16, 2016, 05:34 PM »
nope, pretty much got my stuff just waiting for December. But I've been in training to get ready. I turn on the ac as high as it will go and sit in front of it about a foot away until snotcicles hang from by nose and lips! Gotta stay fit and ready ;D

:tipup:

I need to start training too!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 16, 2016, 05:38 PM »
I stay mentally prepared by rembering to put out mice traps and those glue traps all around my shanty.. funny thing is I got the momma the other day be for she decided to make a nest of the shanty...little bit of peanut butter goes a long way when traping mice.  ;-)   

Offline GB 83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 17, 2016, 07:47 AM »
I have the dining room table loaded up with my tackle to inspect for "the needs & wants wish list" for the up & coming season😉😉 Already have my ice/snow tires on my ATV. The weather prediction for this upcoming season has me all fired up🎣🎣

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 17, 2016, 08:10 AM »
Hi All!
y
I have been lurking around for the past couple weeks hoping someone would post and get things started. Just wondering what everone is doing over the summer in preparation for the upcoming season? I made a new rod holder for my atv and have been fixing up my trailer. Saw an article on the interweb that Farmers Almanac is predicting a much colder winter for upper Midwest. After last season, that would be welcome.

Thorney

well Thorney, looks like us Wisconsin boys think alike. I put new line on all my reels, and charged my LX-5 and Marcum underwater camera.

HIMO
                                                                    Wisconsin Iceshanty Moderator
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Aug 17, 2016, 09:31 PM »
HIMO - thanks for the reminder. I will put a charge on my LX-6 and FL8 this weekend.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Aug 21, 2016, 07:14 PM »
my LX6 and the wifes LX6 were on the charger Friday, still have to put new line on the reels and restock up on plastics but its a work in progress. Also plan to upgrade on power augers soon too.

Saw a flock of geese heading south, maybe they saw the forecast too? (it better be right this year)

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Aug 21, 2016, 11:08 PM »
Locating and picking apart mid-lake structure from a boat. 

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Aug 28, 2016, 02:03 PM »
used the ice rods in the boat panfishing today, actually worked pretty well (vertical jigging in 20 to 30ft)

Offline tomertim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Aug 28, 2016, 03:27 PM »
I have my office ac set so cold the carpet installers had to raise it to get their glue to set up.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #12 on: Sep 01, 2016, 01:13 PM »
Damn, this reminds me that I have to bring my auger home to have a leaky fuel line fixed.

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Sep 01, 2016, 01:55 PM »
i just sharpened my auger chipper blade and charged the vexilar fl-12 ultra pack.......come on SNOW !!
 !
I am haunted by waters...

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Sep 01, 2016, 02:16 PM »
I stopped at fleet farm to get some new line since I am ready to re-spool all my ice rods. Unfortunately they didn't have much to choose from. Looks like they are between seasons. I have to keep watching the stores to get exactly the right line and floats. If you wait 'til the water starts to firm up, everything is picked over.

Offline wifisherman4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Sep 14, 2016, 07:30 PM »
Ordered 2 more TUCR's today, picking up a new Marcum in a week or two here.. Getting the itch real bad about now.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #16 on: Oct 07, 2016, 09:36 AM »
We had an autistic boy go missing last sunday and I joined a late night search party for him and in the process got to haul out headlamps, flashlights a GPS and some Goretex boots I use for early season ice. I had to replace nearly all my batteries and found that the boots had a leak. So I should be all set now for the season to come with that stuff.

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 07, 2016, 11:09 AM »
52 - glad you got some ice fishing prep done, but more importantly, did you find the boy unharmed?

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #18 on: Oct 07, 2016, 03:35 PM »
I was out there from 10pm until 3am and nothing. Little guy was found the next morning walking out of a corn field by some local HS kids.

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Oct 10, 2016, 04:02 PM »
52 - glad the boy was okay! And thanks for helping in the search. It's good to know there are people out there like you!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.