Author Topic: Clam Plate vs Drill directly to auger with Kovac Adapter  (Read 2242 times)

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Got a drill picked out just looking for feed back. I see the clam Plate has a bearing built in that's supposed to reduce stress on the drill. Not sure how much truth there is to that. I know a lot of guys using drill with Kovac only and are happy. I'm all about simplicity. Any feedback? Thanks
Salmonemia

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Clam Plate vs Drill directly to auger with Kovac Adapter
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2016, 01:30 PM »
IMO I prefer to use the clam drill plate over the kovac for 2 reasons. 1 I have better control using both hands for drilling. 2 when I am done drilling I can set down the clam plate with my drill still being off the ice.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2016, 01:37 PM »
IMO I prefer to use the clam drill plate over the kovac for 2 reasons. 1 I have better control using both hands for drilling. 2 when I am done drilling I can set down the clam plate with my drill still being off the ice.
X2

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2016, 02:53 PM »
I have used an HT adapter w/homemade retainer to prevent accidental falls down through the auger hole ...I then got the Clam Plate ....night and day difference ...  used the Plate all last season as my only auger due to the sparse winter we had ...worked great ...its all about the drill and batteries for sure ...I would recommend getting the extension better for your back .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2016, 03:44 PM »
Thanks for the input.  :tipup:
Salmonemia

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 14, 2016, 07:44 PM »
Why not just get a fin bore3 or a nils auger? I tried my 8 and 6 on my Hitachi drill it good for 580 inch pounds the 6 and 8 would not cut threw ice... I do own a clam plate and I do own a nils adaptor for the calm plate and own a nim rod adaptor..by the time you pay the $300 to $500 for the cord less drill that will work with that auger you should just have bought a fin bore 6 inch and or nils 8 inch for half the price or less clam plates run about $60 to $70 same adding the drill on top of it another $300 to $500 let's say $360 minimum ...  you can get that 8 ich nils for $149.99 cabelas sells them that price every once in a while might be now..and use elbow grease to get threw that ice .not much elbow grease if that... unless your shoulders or elbows are bad like bone spurs tenden problems rotator cuff etc .. then why not go for a good auger?? 

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Aug 14, 2016, 08:44 PM »
Thanks. I've got a finbore III just looking for something easier when ice gets real thick. Finbore cuts very well just exploring my options.
Salmonemia

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2016, 01:18 AM »
Thanks. I've got a finbore III just looking for something easier when ice gets real thick. Finbore cuts very well just exploring my options.

you really need something like a m18 Milwaukee fuel 18volt 1250 inch pounds.. to even auger with the 6 inch nils those sell for around $350 plus clam plate is about $400 .. is your problem with the finbore auger length? like in over 18 inch of ice if so you should have gotten the nils auger...the flues are longer and they sell a extension for it either 6 or 18 inch for the nils....  if using a 8 inch auger forget the cord less drill not enough power and just buy a gas auger cause a drills not going to cut it.. might be able to use a super hawg  right angle drill 1750 inch pounds I think was said by the mfg .. for a 8 inch hole with a nils... that super hawg is made by milwaukee and is a brushless fuel 18 volt drill..  if you get the super hawg check out some think like the Kovac ice auger adaptor.. it won't fit the clam plate... for sure but costs about $488.99  this is why Gas augers are much more economical...  like the Eskimos and the jiffy augers.. did find a few for $250  and 200 on ebay no battery...for that super hawg..

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 15, 2016, 05:48 AM »
I use a ridgid 18v compact. It has about 550in/lbs of torque and I have the 4ah batteries. It works fine pulling right through the ice all day with a 6" ht auger. I've heard nothing but good about the nils augers with the drills except that you need a special adapter for the clam plate. I want to try an 8" nils on mine. I don't know where you get that you need 1250 in/lbs of torque for a 6" auger.

The clam plate works great, I have the older style and I made a simple adapter for it that lets me use my drill without taking off the chuck. Works fine. I like the plate because it makes the whole thing feel like a complete unit and not something I cobbed together in the garage.

Offline salmotrutta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Aug 27, 2016, 09:42 PM »
I can only speak for the Clam Plate .Used it for the first time last season and it performed excellent.My set up is a 18V Rigid with the 6 inch Mora auger.One battery was enough to drill countless holes with ease.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Aug 27, 2016, 10:58 PM »
I really like the clam plate. I run it with the Milwaukee Fuel 1250 in/lb drill and 8" Strikemaster Mora with a 14" extension. The thing absolutely RIPPS the ice, it must throw ice chips 8-10 feet from the hole. I think the plate is a must have with the power and speed of the new drills. You gotta have something substantial to hang on to in my opinion... As well as all the other benefits mentioned before.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.